Pro-active folks tell me... how can I make a difference...

A place to share stories about good guys and to get ideas and information about being one yourself.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: Pro-active folks tell me... how can I make a difference...

Postby athena » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:37 am

Right now I am currently helping my brother out, which is like a full time job - until he can get back on his feet, so to speak. Once that is done I am planning on helping a disabled friend with her resume and job search because the system is apparently unable or incapable of doing it. Both are very appreciative of my efforts. :wink:
athena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:15 pm

Hi Mogget, I'm a member of a number of online International craft charities making things for all sorts of ages. I can give you the information if you're interested.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby athena » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:25 pm

I am also in the process of practically giving a house away. It's in a bad neighborhood. It needs lots of work to fix it up. I do not want it. My cousin was going to give me most of his savings for it - but he'll need every penny of it to make the repairs. No mortgage is owed on it. And I just could not in good conscience sell it to him for every penny he's got. Besides, he really is serious about wanting it - I guess he likes it. And, it's staying in the family. 8)
athena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby summerbreeze » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:00 am

Hi! I would still appreciate one or two of your books esp Barabra Sher books. summerbreeze
summerbreeze
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby athena » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:36 am

When I'm decluttering - anything I find that would be valuable to someone else - I put in a bag with a post it note attached saying Free to a Good Home. So, far I've given away a set of curtains and a couple Barbies to neighbors in my building alone. athena
athena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby shparks » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:17 am

Stand Up To Cancer is a great organization! http://su2c.standup2cancer.org/
shparks
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby athena » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:51 pm

I also donate to charities several times a year.
athena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby urbanpioneer » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:50 am

I just reread this thread and the new posts on it. My early posts made me smile. Since I posted that, the guy who walks around the neighborhood picking up the trash, died suddenly of a brain tumor. He was generally disliked and a real A--hole most of the time to everyone. But now the garbage wasn't getting picked up. I walk around the neighborhood every morning with my dog and take a store plastic bag with me every day. As soon as I fill it up, I'm done for that day. I figured if a butthead could pick up garbage then I, who am a wonderful, caring and thoughtful person, could pick up the task. It's kind of back-handed logic to follow the example of someone I considered to be a bad example all the way around, but I do it. I consider it a miztfah (a blessing or good deed) and it reminds me that I am NOT too good to stoop to pick up someone elses' litter. And the neighborhood stays cleaner.
urbanpioneer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby zaxy » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:45 pm

wow! what a thread! Moget- i would like to say that just by posting your question, you have made a difference- a big one! you've started this thread, (and now, apparently, a spinoff over on idea parties theread) and instigated the formation of an excellent resource- a LONG list of excellent suggestions of ways to make a difference with little effort- that will be accessible to the entire world, as long as this site is operating. I congratulate you on that, because you have ALSO made a difference in MY life, today. I was searching for a way to volunteer- i promised the universe i'd get on it and do SOMETHING to help my community (or anywhere that i can), if only Obama could win. He has, so now i'm making good on my promise. i work full time and have gone back to college full time, so i'm more than strapped for cash and time... i had very few ideas of just how i'd do it until i happened to check in here at the B.Sher bulletin board and happened upon your post. interesting how the universe brings what we need when we need it. so thank you for making a difference. if that's what you're capable of when you're not really trying yet, then you have some real potential! ;) Unity- i'd be VERY interested in some of that information about helping by doing crafts?
Imagine Infinity.
zaxy
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Andreya » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:01 pm

WOW! What a great thread!

Moget, could you sew/make cloth bags and other people could give them away as prizes for eco quiz, for fundraising or just for free in front of supermarkets or such?

See www.morsbags.com/ - I love the idea!!

Could you help fix or re-make retro clothing? Also check out craftivism!! :)
'Everything is possible. They make rockets and put them on the moon, you know!' (neighbour, on closing up a balcony)
Andreya
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby shparks » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:34 pm

Of course, you could always try becoming a Real Life Super Hero.
http://www.reallifesuperheroes.org/
shparks
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Pro-active folks tell me... how can I make a difference

Postby Kirsten » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:48 pm

I've found community organizing an amazing experience of being involved in real practical action that makes a difference. The way we do it in our organization is highly relational, there's great training, and the issues are diverse and change regularly. People are as active as they can be and that ebbs and flows but because a core piece of the work is to build new leaders it's possible to be heavily involved or only peripherally involved and go between the two extremes whenever the interest or time/ability etc. move you. I did a lot of volunteer work, letter writing and donations etc. before I found this niche, but most of it seemed very futile. Organizing is different, it gives you practical skills and a network of people interested in the same things and helps you win on issues that matter. The group I'm involved with here is affiliated with the IAF (google Industrial Areas Foundation if you want more info, there's a website but I can't post it I guess) which has many groups throughout the USA and a few other places too. But there are other organizations I'm sure out there that use organizing principles. It's pretty fun, and quite effective if you are looking for change on a grander scale and willing to negotiate, compromise and build relationships.

I love it because it works with the best of my scanner tendencies. I can get very involved in an issue for a while, but I can leave it when I need to, and with the issues changing I can re-engage when I want to as well. The training opportunities are great, and I'm able to do a wide range of things.

All the best,
Kirsten
Kirsten
New Poster
New Poster

Previous

Return to Doing Good in the World