Help for Depression

A place to share stories about good guys and to get ideas and information about being one yourself.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: Help for Depression

Postby athena » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:01 pm

thank you athena
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby ID2000 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:08 am

Hey there, I found this site useful. It's an online program which helps identify the causes and thought patterns which may be causing depression.
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Sweetsue » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:54 am

Please don't diagnose yourself via a web site! I was a psychology major -- and when I took amnormal psychology, it seemed like I had every disease we studied. Web sites are good for information -- but -- if you think you may be depressed -- please seek out medical help. Start with your family doctor, and don't be afraid to consult a psychiatrist. Depression is a physical illness that manifests mentally; it is not something to hide; millions of cases go undiagnosed and untreated, leading to unnecessary suffering. Trying to "psych" yourself out of it can be like an ordinary person trying to compete in Olympic-weightlifing -- no how, no way! If you lack insurance, try a sliding scale clinic such as a community mental health center. Or contact an advocacy group such as the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill (NAMI) whose members have family members with chronic issues, including depression, and who know the ropes of services available in the community. Get someone to help you! There are many kinds of depression, from mild and chronic to severe and sudden. Sometimes health condition (insomnia, surgery, heart disease, long-term serious illnesses such as cancer) can cause depression. Other times, the depression is the cause of other conditions. That is why diagnosis by a health care professional is really important. But here is a list of the key symptoms that suggest that you may have a major you can see, depression is very subtle...the muscle and digestive symptoms (that make you feel tight or constricted) are particularly often missed. When you read the list, you will see that often these characteristics are taken for "that's just the way s/he is" when in fact they are signs of distress that can be eased with proper care. And remember that depression is one of the most curable of all conditions once you seek treatment. SYMPTOMS TO WATCH FOR (esp if you have more than one and they last 2 weeks or more) Persistent sad, anxious or "empty" feelings Feelings of hopelessness and/or pessimism Feelings of guilt, worthlessness and/or helplessness Irritability, restlessness Loss of interest in activities or hobbies once pleasurable, including sex Fatigue and decreased energy Difficulty concentrating, remembering details and making decisions Insomnia, early–morning wakefulness, or excessive sleeping Overeating, or appetite loss Thoughts of suicide, suicide attempts Persistent aches or pains, headaches, cramps or digestive problems that do not ease even with treatment
New Poster
New Poster

Postby tomhanks991 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:13 am

Hi skannie, Thank you, This really helped.I have problems of severe depression. Yes 'Funnyvalentine' the books really help. But it depends on what type of book you are reading to because sometimes books are the reason to make us think like that. Good books helps you get rid of the powerless feeling that leads to depression.For a change i shift to sports because that is the thing i really like doing. It is a fact that if you do what you are good at, and you get success in that thing you can get out of the depression very fast and can help you in geting over lack of self confidence.
acai berry
New User
New User

Return to Doing Good in the World