Himalayan Orphanage Needs Clothes for Kids

A place to share stories about good guys and to get ideas and information about being one yourself.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Himalayan Orphanage Needs Clothes for Kids

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:56 am

After searching for awhile, I found the place I was looking for: a small project run by a wonderful woman who quit her job in London, sold her house and moved (with her obviously agreeable husband) to an inexpensive place so she'd have enough money to to start the orphanage, which she did, a few years ago. This place is too small to be part of any of the big charities -- and that's exactly what I wanted. After I found her website and checked it out and saw how hard she was working in England to scratch together some more money, I made a donation (which apparently astounded her because her site isn't fancy and that's all I knew of her). I got to know her a bit. Her name is Freda. She's a real sweetheart. I interviewed her on my new internet radio show at http://www.blogtalkradio.com/barbarasher (It's the show on Jan 26. She was calling from England and couldn't get a connection so I had to blab for about 10 minutes until she came through. Be patient. Her interview is worth it.) Anyway, she put out a call for clothes for the kids. There are 26 orphans there, most of them found wandering around the mountain region where there's no medical help and the mothers didn't make it through childbirth or the parents died. They were eating at the back doors of other poor families, living outdoors, many of them only 5 years old. So this wonderful woman found them, bought a house and ensconced them there. And if you know of any decent-quality new or very lightly used kid's clothes, I'd like to gather and mail some packages to Nepal. I have a photo of the children, but I'm not sure how to post it where you can see it. They're all quite cheerful after a year or two at the orphanage, but they're still kind of skinny and a bit small for their ages, which seem to be around 6 - 12. So I'm looking for donations of clothing or good suggestions. (Needless to say, my grandson's outgrown clothes are all heading there as we speak.) Thanks, guys.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Himalayan Orphanage Needs Clothes for Kids

Postby skannie » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:01 pm

Hi Barbara I really enjoyed your radio show about the orphanage, and your definition of “Plop Philanthropy” :-) Now I’ve just downloaded the latest show to listen to if my computer will let me. These days it gets a bit grumpy about audio and video files, and it absolutely hates Flash. I don’t think I can help you with the clothes, but I probably can with the photo of the children. Do you want to post it here on the boards? An easy way I found of doing that is to open a free photo storage account with http://www.photobucket.com , then you can browse and upload your photo in a similar way to uploading an attachment for your email. It then generates several alternative code snippets that you can use for posting the photo. The direct link worked ok for posting here when I tried it. You just click on the snippet to copy it then paste it into your post. Or you can paste it into a web page, blog or email if you prefer, or into your Myspace or Facebook profile. I guess you could also open a free blog with wordpress.com or blogger.com and just put one photo on it. If you want an even simpler method, email it to me and I’ll post it for you. Or I could make a little web-page for the photo on my hosting space and you can post the link wherever you want. I’ll pm you my email address. skannie
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:31 pm

A Blog!!! I forgot about them. I love them. Thanks!!!
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby dani » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:34 am

I'll be on the lookout at garage sales when the season comes. :D
dani
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby ellecee » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:04 am

Hey there Barbara, I definitely agree that Photobucket, Flickr, Webshots, Snapfish, and Kodak are good places to post fotos. Then you simply have to include the URL here and off we go to see them! Easy to keep all the photos current, and then upload them to your blog. Sorry I don't have the URLs for the photo sites. :( Just look at Ask.com or "Gurgle" :lol: Also, the blog idea rocks! 8) I like Wordpress.com and Blogger.com, alot of people like FaceBook. From what I've seen, and heard from friends, MySpace isn't our demographic. The best thing about blogs is if you can do reciprocal linking with other bloggers of same interest, you can create traffic to your blog. And if you use the correct interest categories in your header, people can find you on the search engines when the use a search term like "Barbara Sher blog". Search engines can pick up your tags from each post. Don't forget to register your blog at Technorati.com and other sites. :idea: Technorati has a "ping" widget that alot of people use (altho I've never understood how to make it work on my Mac :roll: ). Best wishes for this awesome project!!! :D Louise
Do one thing everyday that scares you. -Eleanor Roosevelt
ellecee
New Poster
New Poster

Postby zaxy » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:28 pm

what an amazing story. she sounds like a truly impressive human being! being single and childless, i haven't anything to send at the moment, but i'd love to know if there's any other kind of help she might need? powdered milk? foodstuffs? household goods? thank you for posts like this, barbara. it's wonderful to have a trustworthy source of people and organizations needing help.
Imagine Infinity.
zaxy
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Return to Doing Good in the World