What Book Do You Recommend?

A place to share stories about good guys and to get ideas and information about being one yourself.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

What Book Do You Recommend?

Postby shparks » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:38 pm

Is there a book you have read about doing good in the world that you would recommend for the rest of us? I read one that was all about helping kids in your community. It had a lot of suggestions, as well as inspirational stories. The title is: "Stopping at Every Lemonade Stand."
shparks
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: What Book Do You Recommend?

Postby DJCNOR » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:03 am

There are two I would recommend. One is Greening of America. I recommend that book all the time. It's from the 60's and the analysis of what's wrong and how an individual is to be able to do anything to improve matters. Generally, it's by stepping in and taking responsibility somewhere that no one is taking responsibility because the general view is that to do so is to invite failure. The other book I have not read, but I know the author will give good advice because he has made a big difference starting very small indeed. It's Creating a World Without Poverty: Social Business and the Future of Capitalism by Yunus, the creator of the Grameen Bank who won the Nobel Peace Prize last year.
DJCNOR
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby spncity » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:49 pm

"Give to Live" by Douglas Lawson
http://www.DesignsforGiving.com - Publisher of "Living a Life of Significance: 101 Quotations Inspiring People Who Make a Difference"
spncity
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby kashtanka » Wed May 14, 2008 11:27 pm

I love the book "Give to Live" also. I bought it a long long time ago, and through all the moves I've made and books I've thrown out, I still have it. Good recommendation.
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby alwen » Fri May 16, 2008 8:40 am

Three Cups of Tea, by Greg Mortenson (I'd link to the website, but it seems to be down right now. I hope they haven't let the domain lapse.)
alwen
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby velvet » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:29 pm

www.threecupsoftea.com is up and running now.
I see that they are happy, not because they got luckier than all the rest of us when they found each other, but because they passionately desire and believe in their happiness.- Susan Page Destination, Determination, Deliberation! - Twycross, HP&TH-BP
velvet
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby divabat » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:53 pm

"Making a Living while Making a Difference" by Melissa Everett has been pretty helpful and inspiring.
EducateDeviate: Learn Differently. http://educatedeviate.wordpress.com I want to be a KaosPilot! Track my progress: http://wannabeakp.wordpress.com
divabat
New Poster
New Poster

Postby dani » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:10 pm

Somebodies and Nobodies: Overcoming the Abuse of Rank by Robert Fuller. He also has a new book out called Dignity for All: How to Create a World without Rankism which I need to read. His website, "Breaking Ranks" is at http://breakingranks.net/. I pulled together several books about workplace abuse for my teaching, and I'll try to list them here later. Fuller may have been the best writer with the most comprehensive societal theme, which is why I list it first.
dani
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby DebraJarvis » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:29 pm

Firstly "Enthusiasm makes a difference" Norman Vincent Peale When you are done with that 'The Fountainhead' and then 'Atlas Shrugged' :idea:
DebraJarvis
New User
New User

Postby Andreya » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:28 pm

divabat wrote:"Making a Living while Making a Difference" by Melissa Everett has been pretty helpful and inspiring.

Thank you so much for the recommend and this thread!!

Looks like a great book, and possibly just what I was looking for, at least partly! :)
'Everything is possible. They make rockets and put them on the moon, you know!' (neighbour, on closing up a balcony)
Andreya
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby shparks » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:45 pm

Right now I am reading a book called "Born to Be Good: The Science of a Meaningful Life." I will let everyone know how it is once I get further into it.
shparks
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby urbanpioneer » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:48 pm

Read "Half the Sky". It's a book about the problems women face around the world and their extraordinary abilities to overcome poverty, sexism and lack of education. Many, many inspiritional stories of women who have conquered obstacles and made a huge difference for themselves and their families. Also, easy opportunities for investing in these women. Through Kiva.org, I have made a micro-loan of $25 to help a woman in Tajikistan to expand her grocery store. Many other lenders stepped forward to help her, not just me, shee needed just over $2,000 in all. A VERY satisfying read.
urbanpioneer
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Wolf Goddess » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:12 am

The Difference a Day Makes: 365 Ways to Change Your World in Just 24 Hours by Karen M. Jones.

If you want to make a change with a tiny donation, a phone call or the purchase of a product this book wil tell you whom to call and what to do. It's a couple of years old but there are still plenty of good link-ups in it.

WG
You will never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.
Visit Zebracorn Art Journeys at www.zebracorn.com
Wolf Goddess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby ShadowKan » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:50 pm

hi shparks,
if you are looking a book with doing good in the world, I think it is better to read the bible.

I know it sounds crazy but If we looked on the deeper side of it we can realize that this book is the best
book of all.
It does not for doing good but also it helps you to get closer to God.

I would recommend this to all of us because it will clean our spirit.
ShadowKan
New User
New User

Postby Wolf Goddess » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:13 am

ShadowKan wrote:hi shparks,
if you are looking a book with doing good in the world, I think it is better to read the bible.

I know it sounds crazy but If we looked on the deeper side of it we can realize that this book is the best
book of all.
It does not for doing good but also it helps you to get closer to God.

I would recommend this to all of us because it will clean our spirit.

Or the Koran, or the Torah, or the teachings of the Buddha or even Black Elk. :D
You will never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.
Visit Zebracorn Art Journeys at www.zebracorn.com
Wolf Goddess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Doing Good in the World