I wish I could fix this

A place to share stories about good guys and to get ideas and information about being one yourself.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

I wish I could fix this

Postby Wolf Goddess » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:33 am

Wow, did I have an interesting month. I realize this is not a blog site so I am going to try and make this short. I gave two radio interviews. I was listening to an online station and I made a comment on the shirt the announcer was wearing. I told him abut my website, www.GoldenAlbinism.com. He invited me on the show to talk about pan Africans and albinism. That's my thing. One of them anyway. That was fun. Then several days later someone sent me a New York Times article saying that in Tanzania albinos are being killed and their (our) body parts are being sold to cure illness and make people rich. Desperate times call for desperate measures but this is murder. This has to be stopped. Once again we are made the scapegoat for other people's problems. Anyway, I sent this information around to my internet circles and was asked to be on the show a second time to talk about this atrocity. Then I sent emails to anyone I could think of who might help the Tanzanian Albinism Society and the people with albinism. I wrote the embassy but they have not written me back yet. I am looking for a way to communicate with the Society and the woman with albinism just appointed to Parliament. I want to show solidarity and help get them donations. I want them to post information on my site so people around the world know what’s going on. I know at least two people who are going to Tanzania in a couple of months. I would love to go. Maybe I should join an idea party just for that. So, there it is in a nutshell. Things are still pending. WG
You will never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.
Visit Zebracorn Art Journeys at www.zebracorn.com
Wolf Goddess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: I wish I could fix this

Postby MyPasswordIsInvalid » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:06 am

Wolf Goddess wrote:Then several days later someone sent me a New York Times article saying that in Tanzania albinos are being killed and their (our) body parts are being sold to cure illness and make people rich. Desperate times call for desperate measures but this is murder. This has to be stopped.
I am horrified and saddened by this. There is such devastating ignorance in the world. Do you think this problem in Tanzania is one that Oprah Winfrey might help you with? She has been supportive of many projects worldwide and particularly in Africa. I urge you to contact her. If she became involved it could increase awareness and support. BTW, yesterday while I was on the train I saw a beautiful little "golden child" baby in her stroller. I hope she grows up to have your spirit. All the best.
MyPasswordIsInvalid
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Wolf Goddess » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:06 pm

Thanks for the nice words. :D We have been trying to talk to Oprah for some time to get on the show and talk about albinism. So far we have been ignored, but I think if we contact her with this awful news and ask for support and not air time, maybe that will sit better with her. WG
Wolf Goddess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:33 pm

Hi WG, I never heard anything so awful (re Tanz). On the current UK BBrother there is a man that is an albino and I got thinking how hard it must have been growing up white in his family.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby MyPasswordIsInvalid » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:30 pm

Unity wrote:On the current UK BBrother there is a man that is an albino and I got thinking how hard it must have been growing up white in his family.
Unless that man actually said he had a problem with is family specific to his albinism, There is no reason to believe that he would naturally have a problem with his family. There seems to be a leap in logic here...are you thinking that albinism means White? It's not. And even it if were so, there are people of all colors in some families and that doesn't automatically mean they have a "hard time growing up." Wolf Goddess, I'm turning this over to you.
MyPasswordIsInvalid
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:48 am

MyPasswordIsInvalid wrote:
Unity wrote:On the current UK BBrother there is a man that is an albino and I got thinking how hard it must have been growing up white in his family.
Unless that man actually said he had a problem with is family specific to his albinism, There is no reason to believe that he would naturally have a problem with his family. There seems to be a leap in logic here...are you thinking that albinism means White? It's not. And even it if were so, there are people of all colors in some families and that doesn't automatically mean they have a "hard time growing up." Wolf Goddess, I'm turning this over to you.
No, I don't think albinism means you are white. You have completely misinterpreted my post. And yes, he is a black man who has had problems because of his condition and that's the part I was commenting on - based on what he had talked about in the house. But why on earth you would have to write a post like the one above is beyond me.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Wolf Goddess » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:29 am

Albinism means white, but it doesn't mean White, as in race. It means a lack of melanin pigment. Although there are many types of albinism, the type people most think of is the white skin and hair. (My hair is blond) Yes, it is difficult being the only "white" face at family functions. You have to explain yourself to a lot of nosey people: especially when your features are Black or Asian. While there are many places in the world where albinism is looked upon as just human diversity, there are many more where we are seen as a negative. In many cases the baby is denied by the father. The family accuses the mother of "sleeping around." Albinism is the only condition where one is mistaken for another race. Race has nothing to do with albinism. Even if your family accepts you, going to school and walking through your own neighborhood can be hell. It seems to be worse if you are from a dark-skinned race, although Caucasians can have it bad too. The orphanages in China are filled with little golden ones. It's not all gloom and doom. I hope I don't come off like that. I am not a pity party person. But it's no life of fun and games either. I have spent about 25 years trying to educate people about this "condition" and I try to celebrate our lives. But I know what problems we face by superstitious people. So the news that we are being stalked and killed causes me much grief for people I see as my kin. Thank you both for your concern and kind words. I will answer any questions on this topic so feel free to email me at info@GoldenAlbinism.com or just reply to this post. WG
Wolf Goddess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Doing Good in the World