Anyone Sponsored A Child Through A Charity?

A place to share stories about good guys and to get ideas and information about being one yourself.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Anyone Sponsored A Child Through A Charity?

Postby Cha! » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:02 am

I'm wondering if anyone here has had any experience with any of the charities that televise ads to sponsor children from impoverished areas of the world. I've always been a fairly generous person and have felt lately that I'd like to do more that would have a direct and lasting impact on someone's life. I do a lot in my area as well as with some charities in other parts of the country (USA) but the other night I saw a particularly moving ad on television about sponsoring children. If it is true that just $24 or $30 a month can really supply clothing, education, food, clean water, etc to children in need, it seems like a remarkable and worthy result. But the flip side is that I'm also a fairly skeptical person who wants to make sure any organization I support truly delivers the donated money to the advertised destination. I had never really thought of participating in this type of charitable endeavor before and would like to know if anyone here has any experience with this type of effort. Were you happy with the result? Did you do any research on the charity? What resources did you use to find out the information you needed to make a choice you were comfortable with? Thanks everyone! Cha!
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Anyone Sponsored A Child Through A Charity?

Postby Unity » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:37 am

Hi Cha, A long time ago there were a few charities I used to know quite a lot about but their names escape me right this moment. Memory lapses by the minute lately :D One had a magazine called 'Echo from Africa' perhaps you can look it up. I'll see if I can find out the name of the other.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby skannie » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:55 am

Hi Cha! Way back in the 70s, when I was a student, I sponsored the schooling of a child in Kenya through a British organisation called Action In Distress. It was quite a new concept at the time, and I don't remember there being much choice of agencies. It was the only one I'd read about anyway. And there was no Internet to do any research on it. But it seemed like a reputable organisation and a good idea. I was allocated a named child and I received occasional reports about him, and once a note he had written himself. I wrote to him once or twice too. It certainly appeared to be a genuine programme, although I don't know how much it benefited the child. The amount of information coming from the field was very limited. After a few years I was told that he had left the school, and I didn't continue with another child because I was quite poverty stricken myself at that time. The charity later changed its name to ActionAid. I just Googled it and it's now an international organisation with its HQ in South Africa, and it uses a much broader range of methods to fight poverty, including campaigning for political change. In fact child sponsorship doesn't seem to be mentioned at all on their main website http://www.actionaid.org although it is on their UK one http://www.actionaid.org.uk and you don't have to be from the UK to participate. There is some controversy over the benefits of direct child sponsorship compared with other forms of donation. Here's an article that's very critical of it. http://www.newint.org/issue111/keynote.htm Another popular way to directly help poor families and communities is to sponsor donations of livestock or trees. I've heard a lot of good reports of the Irish charity Bóthar (it means Road) that does this http://www.bothar.org and they work in collaboration with Heifer International http://www.heifer.org skannie
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby skannie » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:26 am

and here's a link to a post by Barbara about a Himalayan orphanage that she supports. You can be sure that's genuine, and I'm sure they'd welcome some more donors. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=21202&p=206469&hilit=orphanage#p206469
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Cha! » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:06 pm

Thank you, Unity and skannie, for answering my post and sharing information and your experiences. Thank you, skannie, also for forwarding the link to the posts about the orphanage. That seems like a safer way to directly impact the lives of children who truly need help. Thank you both again for your responses! Cha!
Cha!
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Unity » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:38 pm

Thanks Cha, I've had a bit of an adventure trying to find the Echo magazine as I kept coming across Gay magazines with the same name LOL. I did eventually find it but only a Polish version not the English. It's annoying me that I can't remember the other name because I can picture the calendar and diary that I used to get with their names right across it. Probably come to me in my sleep. I'm glad that Skannie has a lot of information for you.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby dani » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:45 pm

skannie wrote:Hi Cha! There is some controversy over the benefits of direct child sponsorship compared with other forms of donation. Here's an article that's very critical of it. http://www.newint.org/issue111/keynote.htm skannie
Skannie, thanks so much for this link! I read every article in the topic, long but thoroughly engaging. If a summary can be made, the problem with single child sponsorship is that it sets the sponsored children apart from non sponsored children in very impoverished communities. As you might imagine, this leads to all kinds of problems. The plea of the articles is for community development funding which can raise entire villages out of poverty, rather than the Western individualistic approach of helping just one child. The publication is from 1985, yet from what I know of International politics, I doubt that much has changed. Except for the influence of NAFTA, which has created substantial havoc for these small impoverished villages around the world. I've often considered sponsorship, but found the emotionalism in ads and commercials with Sally Struthers off putting and so never got involved.
dani
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Unity » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:17 am

You're right Dani, I'd never really thought about those issues, about one child getting help and others not. The charities I knew about were for the whole community not individuals. I think they were to support missionary projects building schools etc.
Unity
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby chris2007 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:26 am

I have sponsored 6 different kids through a charity over the last 30 years. I have written less to the kids than I should have and couldhave done much better than I have. But still I feel the need to give back in some way what I received through good fate in my life. The charity CCF also supports the community and parents. Even though I cannot help all kids that are needy it is worthwile to make a difference for one child. My charity might not be the best in the world or provide ideal support but for that one child/family it is the only one that helps. The search for the ideal charity might be an excuse for doing nothing....
chris2007
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby dolina » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:33 pm

Cha, I am not in favor of sponsoring one particular child either, for the same reasons already mentioned in the previous replies. If the kid has a family, I would sponsor the family. If the kid lives in an orphanage, I would send equal amounts or gifts to all the children..
dolina
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby EagleEyes » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:59 am

Hi, I understand the thoughts against sponsoring one child. Just thought I'd add my experience with Children International. $22 a month. (They do not advertise on TV that I know of.) The whole family benefits. It gives them a relief from being overwhelmed and helps keep families strong and staying together. Started a monthly automatic program with them in 1987. I was student poor and was only interested once I saw they had the lowest administration costs. I didn't want the few bucks I had to send to be wasted. But they do not waste money and have streamlined even more with the invention of the internet. They do not have a religion agenda. They have programs that remove parasites for better health and give families tools to have better meals, clothes for the child to attend school and hygiene supplies. Over the years my husband has helped 3 girls in the Phillipines and I've helped three boys in Santo Domingo grow up. The latest one Reinaldo just wrote: 'I am so happy because you remembered me during the tragedy.' (I need to call the organization and find out what he means by the tragedy, but sure love the photo and letter he sent.) Just so you know there is a benefit to sponsoring one child too. Of course, join the charity that calls to your heart. THAT is important. Children International http://www.children.org/ -Christina
Colorado Creations: Real Paper Greeting Cards http://www.EagleEyesDesign.com Fan Page for Latest Greeting Card Designs http://www.facebook.com/pages/Colorado- ... 776?ref=ts
EagleEyes
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby dolina » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:34 pm

I just read this article on CNN, and it seemed related to what we are discussing here.. http://edition.cnn.com/2008/US/11/17/hu ... index.html I guess the bottom line here is that we need to act, in whatever way we feel comfortable.. because while we have all the time we need, time is not in the favor of those we want to help.
dolina
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby delores » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:11 pm

I adopted a daughter through the WACAP agency in Washington and later sponsored a child through them as well. Sponsoring the child allowed him to remain with his family and attend school instead of working to keep the family going. He "graduated" from sponsorship a few months ago as he has completed school and is now a young man, working on his own! WACAP is a great agency for adoption and they also work to keep families together when help is all that is needed to keep the child in the home.
delores
New User
New User

Postby skannie » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:32 pm

Here's a "long distance adoption" project in Moldova http://irffmd.net/public/long_distance_ ... oject.html
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:11 am

Cha! wrote:Thank you, Unity and skannie, for answering my post and sharing information and your experiences. Thank you, skannie, also for forwarding the link to the posts about the orphanage. That seems like a safer way to directly impact the lives of children who truly need help. Thank you both again for your responses! Cha!
The orphanage still exists, hopefully for good, but the woman who started it found that funds were being misused by the manager and has moved (and I've moved with her) to supporting an incredibly poor village of Tibetans (on the Nepal side of the line) who were almost unknown until recently. I'll go into my email and get that link for you. I donate all proceeds from my teleclasses to that one. It's called Hi-Cap, originates from Surrey in southern England, I believe, where her husband keeps up the paperwork while she spends her time in the village. Hold on, I 'll get right back to you.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Doing Good in the World