Anyone Sponsored A Child Through A Charity?

A place to share stories about good guys and to get ideas and information about being one yourself.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: Anyone Sponsored A Child Through A Charity?

Postby BarbaraSher » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:14 am

Freda Casagrande Hi-Cap UK Project PATH - Nepal www.himlayanculturalconservation.org <http://www.himlayanculturalconservation.org> Hi all It has been just over a week since my return to this luxurious wonderful Western world and my husband. I say that because that is just how I feel, hot water, electricity, heating, supermarkets , wow!! My trip was very hard work, trekking into the Lamjung and Mustang area and visiting the most remote untrekked villages or clusters, as they would say in Nepal. It was amazing although it took all my energy and determination to continue seeing the deprivation and shocking conditions that these families live in. Over the next few weeks I will be releasing this information and hoping that some of you can commit to doing some fundraising this year. There will be different types of projects that will need to be funded, they will all be based on our Practical Action ethos. The funding we provide will be in the form of helping the families to help themselves. We will aim to give them a living by providing such things a cows, goats, sewing machines, etc., Some of the families identified need medical help, some of you may have expert advice that you can offer. I am sure that you are aware that all medical help in Nepal has to be paid for, therefore if you are very poor then you suffer and die. There were many other shocks for me meeting families that had children that had severe birth deformities both mentally and physically, one family had suffered 3 such children and were trying so hard to look after them in appalling conditions. As I write this I remember the sights I saw and cannot control the tears. We talk here about the credit crunch and how serious it is yet everyday we have food and a Welfare state, there is always an organisation to turn to for help. We will be paying particular attention to one village OLD JAGOT that has no sanitation at all. When I visited here I got the most amazing reception, I felt like Bruce Parry (if you have watched the programme Tribe you will know what I mean) I was so overcome I will remember this experience as one at the top of my list . They were just amazing people, I asked about what they would like most and they said firstly help was needed for the poorest family in the village, and they would like to have some sanitation in the village as there were no toilet facilies for any of them. That is what we as a charity hope to do but without your help we cannot make a start..
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby skannie » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:27 am

BarbaraSher wrote:The orphanage still exists, hopefully for good, but the woman who started it found that funds were being misused by the manager
That's a shame, but of course there's the potential for corruption and misuse in any form of charity. I think the fear of the money not being used in the most ideal way, or of some of it going astray, should not prevent people from donating. The problems are so urgent that even if only a fraction of it is used properly it can still do a huge amount of good. But it's best to find out as much as possible about any charity organisation before you donate, so as to improve the chances of a good outcome.
BarbaraSher wrote:Freda Casagrande Hi-Cap UK Project PATH - Nepal
Your link doesn't work Barbara, and I had to inspect it very carefully three times before I spotted the typo. One "a" missing. This one should be OK http://www.himalayanculturalconservation.org P.S. Then I went and missed an "a" out of your name LOL. But it's fixed now.
Last edited by skannie on Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby skannie » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:45 pm

Here's a blog about another project that would be worth donating to. Fighting HIV/AIDS in Nata village in Botswana, Africa. http://natavillage.typepad.com/
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BozMo » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:19 am

Here is list of the charities which offer child sponsorship in the UK with some differences etc . in case you are interested.
BozMo
New User
New User

Postby sallypz » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:37 am

This subject tugs at my hear in a big way...yes I sponsor a child through an organization...but I don't really know how much of the money actually goes to the child and how much goes to "administrative costs" (is stolen--my opinion of that phrase). Our world is full of children who are starving, dying and thrown away (literally) and they are the most vulnerable of us...and they have no voice of their own..they are at the mercy of the adult world. A few years ago there was a show on TV (60minutes--one of the news magazines) about children in orphanages in the Ukrane...tied to the beds, starving, with bedsores, living in horrible conditions. There was also another TV story about the street children in Brazil's big cities. These children, after being abandoned there by their parent(s), were literally living in packs in the sewers of the city. When the government decided they wanted to 'clean up' the city because they wanted to improve tourism they felt the sewer children were a blight, and a deterrent to tourism, so instead of helping the children, the police were sent in with guns and many of the children were simply gunned down....all in the name of improving the tourist trade. Just last week the minister in church (first time I've been to this church) talked about the children in India that are now being abandoned by their parents on the beach..to starve and die...and the new (Lutheran) chairity that is trying to help them...he didnt mention the name of the charity. It was sad...he also mentioned the box of three little kittens, eyes not yet open, that wore left on the church doorstep that they were giving away to anyone in the congregation that was willing to take an abandoned kitten home....you can be sure all three kittens went home with someone that Sunday to a loving home...but none of those abandoned children did. That is how our society is...we are more willing to take care of abandoned animals than we are abandoned children. There have been numerous stories/articles written about the little baby girls in China--where they are allowed to have only one child per family---and prefer a boy because the boy is suppose to take care of the parents in old age---One story, written by the doctor who says he was forced to do these things, talks about how baby's are killed at birth if they are girls. Other little girl babies are dumped off at orphanages that are poor & dirty because of overcrowding. Stories have been written about how, in these orphanages, little girls are tied to chairs for potty training, the 'extra' little girls, too small, maybe deformed...are simply left alone in a room of the orphanage abandoned to die. I have been to a lecture given by a lady that adopted two baby girls from China...she talks about how dirty the children were, unwashed and wearing filthy rags for diapers. I have talked with a few other people who were going to China to adopt...some were told to bring cash, in varying amounts sealed in different colored envelopes, that was to be given to various people along the way (bribes). It seems the world's orphans have become a commodity.....just try to adopt a child from a foreign country...it is no easy task....it takes a mountain of paperwork...and everyone...including the American government (state and federal)...along the way has their hand out asking for money. I will not disclose the complete amount it took to adopt my daughter...but I sold 97 1/2 acres of land (that had no mortgage on it)...and, in the end, the adoption process took ALL of the money....and of all the fees, etc, etc, etc, I paid for in the adoption process....the orphanage got NONE (zero, 0, zip) of the money!!...not one penny (Yes, I did bring them some extra money as a charity gift...which they did not ask for...and actually, almost refused). My daughter was lucky, she was in a Russian orphanage....the Russians make a brilliant attempt at taking care of their orphaned children. I was highly impressed. Although, fairly full of children, the orphanages there were clean, the children were clean, they had clean clothes, the food was mostly soup from what I could see, but the children were fed (although they are undernourished & underweight by american standards)...there was safe space for the children to play, the children were well supervised, the employees of the orphanage were kind and caring, good people. There are hundreds, possibly thousands of orphanages, with possibly a million children in them altogether across the USSR, it is a huge job for the government to try to take care of these children, but they are making a valient attempt at it. There are problems though...there are so many children,the children grow up without the love and attentions they should get, they only get some, but minimal education, they too, depend on charitable organizations, people for donations....but sometimes the donations are way layed along the way..and don't arrive..they are stolen or confiscated, items resold on the black market. So the children suffer. The amazing thing was the American government is the one that makes it so hard to adopt...Homeland Securities and others...Homeland Securities gave me and the other couple so much hassle that I actually went on line at a Russian e-mail cafe, found the phone number of the White House in Washington DC, called them, got someone in line & faxed them a letter about our difficulties with HomelandS..(try to find a fax machine in Russia when you don't speak a word of Russian!!)...then I emailed the Chgo. Tribune a letter about Homeland S...I don't know that they ever printed it....I was actually so frustrated with the American side of things that I was ready to take my little girl to the US Embasy and refuse to leave there until they allowed us back into the US...officially she was to become an American citizen when she stepped foot on American soil with me....I figured the US Embassy WAS American soil!!...thus going there would, technically, make her an American citizen... It's as if, these small children, who themselves only want no more than love, are being held hostage by the adult world...yes, there are all these charities...but what why can't someone bring some of these abandoned "unwanted" children over here in a group...to be cared for here...as Americans??? Maybe in an orphanage here??....by the way did you realize there are no more orphanages (or almost no more) here in the US...they were all done away with....no more orphanages=no more orphans???..yes, we've swept our own 'problem children' under a rug..out of sight, out of mind????....we, also, here in the US don't do such a great job of taking care of our abandoned, unwanted children. Sorry, to babble, and spout...I get a little voiceferous when it comes to Children....I guess my purpose in life is to be Mom. sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Previous

Return to Doing Good in the World