To All Parents of Young Children

A place to share stories about good guys and to get ideas and information about being one yourself.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

To All Parents of Young Children

Postby Ricco » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:11 pm

Hi. So here's an idea. I don't have children, so forgive me if I'm way off the mark, stating the obvious or if it's impractical....Since our "true self" is there when we are kids, do you think it would be helpful, incase when the child grows up and they get off track or lost, if the parent as a matter of course writes down as a record what their kids enjoyment came from and/or what their character was...or do you think we (the child) retain that within us always with clarity and sureness or at least get the right sense of who we were? Cos I'm not sure I know who I was when I was 5. I'll have a think, then ask my mother...and compare the results!
Ricco
New Poster
New Poster

Re: To All Parents of Young Children

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:25 am

What a great idea, Ricco. I wish I had done that. Wish my mom had, too,
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Ricco » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:22 am

I've now completed my highly unscientific experiment, and the results....surprising (for me) but by no means comprehensive as it has meant delving back through 40 years of memories... I couldn't recall any significant trends, wishes or desires, but my mother said I had got quite insistent on learning the violin aged 6 or 7 and I had been given a small size violin to pursue my talents....! There was me thinking that I reluctantly taken it up at school aged 8 as we had to do one instrument and it had been suggested that was suitable....Maybe I was a scanner from early on! as I never remember being that keen on it at school and didn't go on to get amazing grades...or offered any contracts! Anyway it was nice to chat to my Mum about that :-)
Ricco
New Poster
New Poster

Postby skannie » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:53 pm

This makes me a bit sad Ricco. I can't ask my Mum because she died when I was only 19. But I remember her telling me that when I was very young I used to annoy people by asking questions all the time.
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby dogmom » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:23 pm

Skannie, I am sorry to learn that you lost your mom at a young age....that must have been very hard. Your asking lots of questions at a very young age may have been part of what makes you so good at looking up information and finding answers for people!!!!! oh, and ps.....most people who find kids who ask a lot of questions annoying, are people who don't know how to answer the kids' questions!!!! LOL! :lol: Looking forward to hear how all is going..... Dogmom
dogmom
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Ricco » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:26 am

Hi Skannie. Sorry that's made you a bit sad. I lost my Dad at 15 so understand how you might feel and how tough that is. And I agree with Dogmom. I love people who aren't afraid to ask questions so I hope you kept it up! I think it shows a great love and energy towards life and wanting to be a part of it. I've sometimes been a bit shy to ask and have relied and been thankful for people like you to get to the point, find out something interesting or just get clarity!
Ricco
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Ricco » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:47 am

Hi again Skannie, I've just been on the "Help for Depression" topic and see that you do indeed seem to have carried on your quest for knowledge :D
Ricco
New Poster
New Poster

Postby sujunew » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:54 pm

I I think that this is a great idea. I have a baby book for my oldest daughter that has 2 pages put aside for parents to write about their hopes, aspirations and dreams for their child. Wouldn't it be great to have a book where that could be a starting point for parents, with the rest of the pages dedicated to updating and adding to it all the time. As parents we watch our children grow and observe their interests and enjoyments. By recording them there is an actual record of these things which are not only a source of reflection as an adult but can even guide other family members and friends around birthdays and Christmas time. I like using my youngest daughter's daycare portfolio as inspiration for birthday presents as it details what she is into at the time, what interests her, what she is learning about at the moment etc.
sujunew
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Unique Journalist » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:48 pm

Ricco got me thinking...I felt compelled to try any instrument I came across in peoples' home growing up. I was drawn to the piano and organ at church. While I played clarinet in the band for years, I had a little habit of playing other instruments' parts during band performances. Would these be "scanner" tendencies?
Unique Journalist
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Ricco » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:04 am

Hi Unique Journalist, I'm sure I'm not really qualified to answer that as I'm still quite new to the whole concept of scanning and how it shows up, but I guess it might be an early indication...or at least it showed a healthy inquisitive nature and willingness to try new things....I hope the instruments' owner wasn't playing at the time you picked it up :lol:
Ricco
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Unique Journalist » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:44 pm

Well, sometimes I would ask the person if they'd let me try their instrument. Yeah, I know sounds gross...if it's a woodwind or brass, you're sharing spit, but I didn't care as long as I could get my hands on it. I'm that way with most any instrument I see...just have to get my hands on it. Ricco, you're right...I AM a very inquisitive person! :lol: I've always been this way, but it was a tendency I never used to let myself indulge much. That might have to change.
Unique Journalist
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby metalchick » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:10 pm

"Might have to change?" LOL- that's like saying you might want to keep breathing. you sound a bit like me, and asking questions will keep you happy (happier?)!
metalchick
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Unique Journalist » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:14 pm

metalchick, you raise an interesting point. Last night at the Twitter Idea Party, Barbara asked us to define what a scanner is. I don't think she liked my definition, and my foot-in-the-mouth answer left me wondering...am I subconciously critical of my own nature? Since when is curiousity a bad thing? Last year I told my parents about starting the Artist's Way program, and Dad said that maybe someday I'll find myself. Okayyyy....
Unique Journalist
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby sallypz » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:07 am

This is a great idea...something of a Journal/Diary of Your Child's Life kinda thing. Also would make a great bookley to market to new moms and dads....(I've trained my mind to always look for at least one business idea in everything....even if I don't start the business myself the habit has opened up a world of possibilities to me). I started an 'adoption journal' when I was adopting my little girl....got a little ways into it then got very busy with life and stopped. Too bad there isn't an easy way to do home voice recordings on CD....like there was with the old fashioned cassette tapes...so a parent could record the child's journal in their own voice....wouldn't it be great years into being an adult to hear your mom or dad's voice talking about you and your early family life???
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Ricco » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:24 pm

Wow...imagine that. Yes, would be amazing and fascinating.... :D
Ricco
New Poster
New Poster

Next

Return to Doing Good in the World