Suggestions for running a self discovery course

A place to share stories about good guys and to get ideas and information about being one yourself.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Suggestions for running a self discovery course

Postby happykat » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:32 am

I would like to run a course through my local neighborhood centre. I am a licensed yoga instructor, and I am intending that each week of the course would include exercises in breathing/relaxation/meditation, as well as discussion/information/practical tasks on various topics. I intend to include topics such as depression, conflict resolution, and stress/anxiety. I also would like to include something in relation to goal-setting and/or motivation, based on Barbara's ideas. Any thoughts on any of this will be most welcome!
happykat
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: Suggestions for running a self discovery course

Postby Tituba » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:35 am

Take an improvisation class and then teach it to your students. Improv teaches communication, how to play nice with other, self expression and stress relief
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby sallypz » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:12 am

Sounds great. Singing (even if you sound bad) is great for breathing, relaxation, focus, stress relief. I have always thought it would be great exercise for those with lung problems too to sing as part of their breathing exercises. Include some kind of music therapy. sallypz (MoxieMe)
sallypz
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby violet » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:46 pm

Hello there, I'm new to the forum but just wanted to say I'm very interested in hearing more about what you're planning (or where it's gotten to by now since it's been a few months since your post). It sounds pretty good so far! I've also contemplated running some kind of personal growth/mutual support kind of group at a local neighbourhood centre, so have thrown a few ideas around in my head about it from time to time. I've always liked things like art therapy or journalling exercises where you might pick a topic or concept and ask everyone to draw or write their response, which can be discussed afterwards and provide a basis for allowing everyone to participate/relate to the issue... Or perhaps asking people to bring in their favourite book or other inspiring thing and share something about it, for discussion... I think it would be great to hear a bit more of the sorts of ideas and structure of sessions that appeals to you, because it's a bit hard to come up with suggestions that will actually be relevant to what you are doing, without a few guidelines. I'd love to hear more and offer some more ideas of my own though. Just feel a bit like I'm stabbing in the dark at the moment with trying to suggest things. For example, what would be the length of each session; would you break it up into one hour yoga and then one hour talking perhaps? would you like to be 'teaching' more of the time, or listening to participants share their personal stories to a larger degree? would you like participants to actually 'do' the techniques you talk about during the class - i.e. drawing/writing/interacting or are you thinking more of a discussion 'about' the techniques which they can then go and work on in their own lives...? what sorts of techniques/activities appeal to you as ways of delivering the course - do you like art/music etc? would you prefer to use books as reference points/springboards? Violet
violet
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Return to Doing Good in the World