Microvolunteering

A place to share stories about good guys and to get ideas and information about being one yourself.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Microvolunteering

Postby DressyShoes » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:59 pm

I recently stumbled upon the concept of microvolunteering. :idea:

It's a really cool concept: A person volunteers for a nonprofit for a brief time. I like volunteering, but I seldom have the time to make long-term commitments. Bite-sized pieces of help seem to work best for both the nonprofit and me.

If anyone here has a skill and an hour or so to spare, give microvolunteering a shot.
DressyShoes
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Microvolunteering

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:58 pm

that's a great idea.

Most of us do have a couple of hours to spare, and it does feel good to do something with just for the joy of helping out. I have volunteered for one day events such as Coastal Cleanup Day and it's the same idea. Pinole also has one-day clean-up events and you can volunteer for as little as you want. it's not a huge commitment, but it feels good.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Wolf Goddess » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:01 am

That IS a cool idea. I think people should think about microvolunteering on days that are not close to holidays. Many people like to volunteer around Christmas and Thanksgiving but forget that they are needed the rest of the year too.
You will never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.
Visit Zebracorn Art Journeys at www.zebracorn.com
Wolf Goddess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:16 am

On Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, our church did a community clean-up. We picked up trash for an hour and half. People who don't go to our church helped along with us, so we got to know some new people. There wasn't all that much trash to pick up this year. Kudos to City of Pinole.

After that, Pinole Fire Dept, provided a fire truck for the kids to climb on. We had hot dogs and watched the "I have a dream" speech. It was a great way to celebrate MLK.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby redsedge » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:48 pm

I don't know if it happens in the States, but over here in the UK, people can volunteer to act as stewards at music festivals and the like. It's good fun, you get to meet a lot of people, make friends and hear different types of music. It makes the difference between these events taking place and not happening at all. It's not a big commitment, maybe as little as one afternoon a year, if that's all you want to do. But it does make a bit of difference.
redsedge
New User
New User

Postby DoYourDream » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:20 pm

great ideas... you could also microvolunteer simply by offering to babysit for a neighbour, or cook a meal for a shut in or senior or volunteer to take a older friend for a drive for an hour. Doesn't have to be with an organization. You could offer to work for an hour in a food bank, or a community kitchen too.
DoYourDream
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:31 am

DoYourDream wrote:great ideas... you could also microvolunteer simply by offering to babysit for a neighbour, or cook a meal for a shut in or senior or volunteer to take a older friend for a drive for an hour. Doesn't have to be with an organization. You could offer to work for an hour in a food bank, or a community kitchen too.

I was sick and my friend Margaret walked my overachieving dog for me.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby shparks » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:23 am

There is a nonprofit in my area that is sort of a peer support hangout for people suffering from mental health issues. A volunteer there can sign up to spend an hour or two on a given day running the "Coffee Club." You basically just set it up, keep the coffee pot full, keep track of who drinks the coffee, and clean up afterwards. I did that on Friday.
shparks
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:16 pm

shparks wrote:There is a nonprofit in my area that is sort of a peer support hangout for people suffering from mental health issues. A volunteer there can sign up to spend an hour or two on a given day running the "Coffee Club." You basically just set it up, keep the coffee pot full, keep track of who drinks the coffee, and clean up afterwards. I did that on Friday.

It's a good thing to do, and I'm glad you shared it with us. Most of us can't stop war or cure cancer, but we can make a pot of coffee and clean up afterwards.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:09 pm

I wish there were more posts under "Doing Good in the World." I think we all do random acts of kindness, but we hate to congratulate ourselves for being good people, and most of our random acts are little.

The last time I walked Molly, four people smiled at me and greeted me. It turned my day around from yuck to happy. So yes, the little things count.

As for me, my random acts include picking up an extra pile of dog p**p now and then, and I'm cooking dinner for a friend whose kid had surgery. (the last one isn't random. Oh well.) (Oops, maybe the two should have been written in separate sentences.)

Anyway, I think it's important to notice the good stuff.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:53 pm

Well said, Elaine. And it was fun to read. Head moved back a little with the closeness of the poop to the food, and then I laughed out loud when you caught it. Causing people to laugh is a good deed, too. :-)
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:36 pm

Now that you call attention to Elaine's use of poop and food in close proximity, it reminded me that the university I went to had its cafeteria in the same building as the department of Mortuary Sciences.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Doing Good in the World