Photographers Without Borders

A place to share stories about good guys and to get ideas and information about being one yourself.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Photographers Without Borders

Postby emspace » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:29 pm

Wow! I just found out about Photographers Without Borders, an NPO based in Toronto that hooks up eager documentary photographers with local NPOs around the world looking for professional imagery to help tell the story of their causes. I applied two days ago at their booth at a photo-video expo, then yesterday the director sent me a link to fill out more information, then today she requested an interview via Skype.

I’m very excited for this! They’ve got quite a few opportunities to choose from and I’m hoping I’ll get approved to go to Sumatra to help with an orangutan (and therefore rainforest) conservation. The other alternatives might be Colombia or Ghana (yeah, I know about ebola), so we’ll see how this will work.

OMG! This is really the opportunity I’ve been hoping to find for 5 years. It’s so hard trying to approach an NGO on your own to propose a project that you’re going to fund yourself to get yourself there and find a safe place to work from and then go do the work. This will make things a bit easier!

But first, the interview! Will report back how it goes. :!:
emspace
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: Photographers Without Borders

Postby tui » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:53 pm

That sounds absolutely great! Hope you get through.

And

Do your homework. Not for the First World part. That's familiar.

For the unfamiliar part.

See if the organisation can put you in touch with other people who have taken this adventure of travelling and working overseas for extended time, and dig deep in talking with them, otherwise the sheer disconnect of being in an unfamiliar space and context could come between you and your intention.

Plus homework for being a photographer in the tropics where technical back-up may be slim to none.

Door opening. Stepping through. Adventure ahead. Enjoy to the max!
tui
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:39 am

I remember when you posted the wish, and your first choice was to do documentary photography, but it was next to impossible to get that kind of job. And here it is.

If your interview already happened, I hope it went well.

Three huge cheers if you get the job.

If not, it's still one step forward.

Thanks for posting here.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Aveline » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:38 pm

That sounds absolutely great! Hope you get through.
Aveline
New User
New User

Postby emspace » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:22 pm

Woot! Great great great news! The interview (way back in October) went so well I was on a high for a couple days after. Just having a conversation about all the things I love made me feel fantastic for days.

But then I got news that other people were chosen for the 2 projects I originally applied for, one in Uganda and one in Sumatra. :(

So, I reapplied for more projects — basically all of them.

I also went to a TEDx Talk given by the Director of PWB and met her. When I told her my name, she said, “Wait, are you Margaux Yiu?”

I said, “Uh, yeah.”

And she said, “Oh my God, it’s great to meet you in person! I love your work! I heard your interview and went to your website. I can’t tell you anything for sure, but I can tell you you’re on the shortlist!”

Well, that was in November, and there was no other news except that other people were being chosen for projects.

But on Friday, I got an email saying I was chosen to go to Botswana in a few months!

So, woohoo! I’ll be volunteering with a free veterinary clinic in and around Maun, Botswana, that is trying to tame the stray animal problem — and it does sound like a huge problem for human health, wildlife endangerment, and the tourism economy, among others.

Thanks for the advice, tui. I’ve travelled overseas quite a bit and I’ve had lots of experience trudging my camera equipment through remote places, so I’m well stocked on backup options. I’m also quite familiar with living in the rough and have also already been to Africa (Kenya and Tanzania 7 years ago), so I know what to expect. There’s no danger of culture shock or homesickness on my part. I’ve never felt those things anywhere I’ve gone. More often, I’ve been reluctant to come home at all! :P But thanks for your advice and concern. It’s good advice for a newbie traveller, for sure. (Which, I’m not!)

So, I’m completely thrilled right now, and will have to set up a crowdfunding page within a week or two!
emspace
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Tituba » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:12 am

Excellent news! Do let us know how it goes.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:40 pm

OH, I'm so happy for you.

Let us know about the crowdfunding. I'll give some money. :D

Also, not sure if this is helpful or not, but I could donate a few copies of The Molly Chronicles as a gift to people who donate to your crowdfunding site. (It's dog humor, not anything to do with Botswana, but anyway . . . )
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby emspace » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:42 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:OH, I'm so happy for you.

Let us know about the crowdfunding. I'll give some money. :D

Also, not sure if this is helpful or not, but I could donate a few copies of The Molly Chronicles as a gift to people who donate to your crowdfunding site. (It's dog humor, not anything to do with Botswana, but anyway . . . )

Hah! That’s awesome, Elaine! Well, it would be related because of the veterinary org I’ll be working with. So, thanks! If you wouldn’t mind doing it, I can throw it in on one of the levels. I’ve yet to figure out all the gifts, but you’ve made me realize I should consider offering non-local gifts, too!

Thanks for the support, Elaine and Tituba!
emspace
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby emspace » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:49 pm

Okay! Finally! My fundraising page is online!

Please help me get to Botswana!

Or, if you can’t, I understand! But if you could Tweet the link or get the link out on your Facebook, that might help me get more eyes and more threads out! Thanks so much for your support, everyone!
emspace
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:43 am

This is so exciting!!!!!!!! I put the link on my Facebook page.

At first I had trouble finding your name (and I wanted my donation to go toward sponsoring you and not to the organization in general.) Anyway, I found your name on your website.

I'm still willing to give copies of "The Molly Chronicles" to people who donate to your website if you can figure out the logistics.

:D :D :D :D :D
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby teddy_b » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:24 am

Botswana! That's great! Congratulations!
teddy_b
New User
New User

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:13 am

Just had a thought. Did you mention the crowdfunding on Hanging Out? You could probably get some support there. :D
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby freshmelon » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:30 am

For sure. I would help with this :)
freshmelon
New User
New User

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:12 pm

Hi, Freshmelon,
Welcome.

There are three ways to help.
First send your good wishes (which you just did.)
If you want to donate some money, scroll up this page to the March 26th post. There is a link to the crowdfunding website, "Please help me get to Botswana" and you can donate. Her name appears on the crowdfunding site. You will have to use it if you want the money to go to her specifically and not just to the organization. Even a very small donation is helpful.
Finally, you can post the link on your Facebook, Twitter, whatever page and pass the information along.

It's great to have you posting here, and great that you want to help.

By the way, I'm not the photographer. I saw her wish two years ago wanting to photograph. She especially wanted to do documentary photography. It seemed like an impossible dream, and now she's about to do it :D
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Moseng » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:49 pm

Aveline wrote:That sounds absolutely great! Hope you get through.

Members like you shall become a true motivation. I really liked the comment you have made here.
Moseng
New User
New User

Next

Return to Doing Good in the World