Selfless Worker Helps the Homeless

A place to share stories about good guys and to get ideas and information about being one yourself.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Selfless Worker Helps the Homeless

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:36 pm

I just noticed this Forum.

I want to share information about an amazing friend of mine. His name is Father River Sims. He lives and works with the homeless in San Francisco. For those who know SF, he lives in the Tenderloin. He's done this work for over TWENTY YEARS. The homeless population in SF has grown more and more as the city's middle class has disappeared and the richest rich are the only ones who can afford to live there anymore. SF has the highest disparity between the poor and the rich, than any other city in the U.S.

People ask, "Why don't the homeless just go someplace else"? Like where? How are they supposed to get there? They don't have cars, they aren't allowed on public transportation because they are dirty, plus they can't take all their belongings on a bus. They either don't have money or are trying to live on SSI. It's impossible to live in the San Francisco Bay Area on SSI. The SSI benefit is way below the poverty line.

And...where are they supposed to go? Is there some magical Mecca in the U.S. where the homeless are welcomed? Not that I know of.

Many of the homeless are mentally ill. People say, "Why don't they just take their meds"? Try getting to a psychiatrist with no transportation. Try keeping track of dosages when you don't know what day it is or what time it is. What's a higher priority? A little pill? Or food? Or shelter?

I could go on and on, but I won't.

River works for the homeless with no help from grants or private charities or the government. He depends solely on personal donations. Month to month he has no idea how much money he will have to work with in helping these people.

I "met" him when I signed up to receive his monthly email journal. Little by little, over 6 years, I've learned from him to be more aware of the homeless, to make eye contact, smile, and say hi to them. These people are treated as invisible by almost everyone who walks by them. Such a simple thing -- eye contact, smile, hi. Try it.

Buy them a sandwich. Give them a pair of socks. If every person did one single thing for the homeless person standing right in front of them...think how it might change their world in one tiny way -- or a big way for people who are treated like they are invisible. It's not always about making a big financial donation. It can start with treating another human being LIKE ANOTHER HUMAN BEING.

Although River and I have never met in person, I keep contact with him via email. As busy as he is, he returns my email within 24 hours and has been there for me during many dark times in my life.

He gets very discouraged and depressed but never gives up on "his people". He will serve them individually, one day at a time, until the day he dies.

I wouldn't suggest getting on his blog because hearing his life, day to day, will break your heart and depress the hell out of you. But consider signing up to receive his monthly journal email if you want to find out more about him and his work.

Google "Father River Sims" and you will find his website.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Selfless Worker Helps the Homeless

Postby SquarePeg » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:24 pm

I think people blame the homeless for being in the situation they're in. As if they chose to be homeless. As if they chose to be dismissed from their job. As if they purposely tried to get seriously ill so that they could give nearly all their money to a hospital.

But it can happen to anyone who reads this. One catastrophic event, or a few smaller ones, coinciding with a sudden shift in the economy (housing bubble, gas crisis) is all it takes.

Thanks for helping me realize how grateful I am to still be in my home!
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:47 pm

He's a good human, no question about it. I didn't see a place where we could send a couple bucks to help him out. Was it out in plain sight and I missed it (what else is new)?
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:05 pm

Hi Barbara,

His website is

http://www.temenos.org/.

At the bottom right side of the page you'll see a DONATE button you can click on. He accepts PayPal as well as other methods of payment.

Thanks for asking! Inspire
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:30 pm

My friend, River, wrote this recently. I thought I'd share it with you.

"In these days before Christmas I move about wrapping gifts, being called out at all hours, with individuals depressed and suicidal; I get little sleep; I hear stories of heart break and fear. One I have known for twenty years threatened me when I refused to give him money, but when I bought him some food and gave him his gift he purred like a kitten; They hate me one minute, they love me the next, and through it all I love them fiercely. These guys are my family, my parishioner's, and for me none of this is work, it is walking with my family...

In the last few years my fears of death, of being alone, and of not having enough have left me; and instead I see the face of Christ in each person and I have learned that true freedom comes in putting myself second. For the "Word has become flesh and dwells in our midst."

And so this Christmas God arrives among us, shivering in the cold, howling with hunger, begging with each breath to be fed and clothed and sheltered. A voice crying out, a glimmer with a Gospel demanding to be proclaimed. We hunt in vain for angels in the sky, for the angels are us, as we share our food with the hungry, shelter the poor, clothe those in need--then our light will blaze forth in the dawn.

Deo Gratias! Thanks be to God"!
Fr. River Damien Sims

If you would like to donate to his ministry you can do so at his website http://www.temenos.org/. At the bottom right side of the page you'll see a DONATE button you can click on. He accepts PayPal as well as other methods of payment. No donation is too small -- even $1 will help.

Don't worry -- he will not contact you, asking for further donations. ( I hate it when people do that! He doesn't. )
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:36 pm

"...the angels are us, as we share our food with the hungry, shelter the poor, clothe those in need..."
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Doing Good in the World