B. Sher - Help with Procrastination Program

A place to share stories about good guys and to get ideas and information about being one yourself.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: B. Sher - Help with Procrastination Program

Postby mikeisjoyous » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:58 pm

Well, I hate house cleaning. My apartment looked crazily bad. I offered a small sum of money tova friend who t really needs it to help me out. The place is look at my way more livable now.

Thinking about what you said about true friends, I felt like crying a little. I have a friend who puts down my ideas but helped me when I was in the hospital a while. Not the deepest friend, but someone who might help me when I really need it.

I have to do some housework tonight and then check out a possible job. I don't have a friend for that. Instead I will put my inner adult in charge but arrange breaks to talk and play with Mikie. I will tell you how it works

Oh yes, for the last 3hours or so I have been watching the movie Atlas Shrugged, styled around Ayn Rand's masterpiece of same name. I feel more powerful now But will I really act upon that sense of inner power?
mikeisjoyous
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:00 pm

Very funny post, Mike.

Nice you had a friend clean your house. That's great.

You seem to have a friend who helps when you get in real trouble, but if he or she puts your ideas down, this is not the person to have around when you want to do what you love. Is that the only friend you have? I think you'd better join some organizations or attend some conferences in areas that interest you so you can meet more friends.

Playing with Mikie is an interesting idea. Not one I've ever had. Tell me how it works.

Are you resisting checking out a possible job? If so, that's one of those hard things you need a friend for - not one who puts down your ideas. You call a friend on the phone, tell them you're about to check out the job and make the dreaded call, and that you'll call them back afterwards to tell them how it went. That often helps.

Ayn Rand never wrote a masterpiece. She's an idiot. Don't bother trying to model yourself into one of her nutty creepy people.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mikeisjoyous » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:19 pm

Gee Barbara, the earlier reply to your post disappeared from my screen. Sure wish I knew what was funny.
I don't really want to do anything, having come from the doctor. I had a biopsy of my thyroid a few months ago. It seemed close to my windpipe. No problem then. Well 3months down the road and my thyroid seems to be growing. Time for another joyous biopsy this Wednesday band another week or 2 down the road, a surgery consult. Sure hope it is not cancerous!
Best to you as always,
Mike
PS:I wonder if other folks like me who get your daily emails will pop up here? Maybe their procrastination is functioning like a traffic cop, saying "There bides danger." ?
mikeisjoyous
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby mikeisjoyous » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:45 pm

I was thinking of rejoining Mensa, Barbara. You just gave me a perfect reason to do so. Finding folks I can talk to about making money:)

Concerning Rand, on the one hand, intellectually they are wonderful. The problem is that Rand did not explore the inner worlds of her characters except for Hank Rearden. That probably led those of her readers who lacked experience deciphering different authors to feel that in order to be heroic, they had to repress anger, sadness, or pain. Rand explicitly said that emotions and thought are aligned with each other ideally. Unfortunately that also could have meant that untoward emotions indicated a psychological flaw:(
As you say, her characters were problematic. Just thinking about Dominic Francon's concerted efforts to ruin Roark--it is impossible for me to imagine that purpose without anger, maybe malice, rather than the fantastic purpose Rand created of wanting to save Roark from ultimate defeat!
Barbara, you got me curious. Have you read Nathaniel Branden's books about self-esteem or for that matter his wonderful book about Rand's philosophy, the Vision of Ayn Rand? I suspect you and him would found way more agreement than disagreement about psychology. I certainly don't think of your methods as "woo woo" and I am confident that neither would he.
mikeisjoyous
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby mikeisjoyous » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:25 pm

I hope I haven't written anything untoward when I asserted my opinions about Rand, Barbara. I very much value your input and don't want to do anything to make you feel uncomfortable. I deeply appreciate your communication with me
mikeisjoyous
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby mikeisjoyous » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:09 pm

Tomorrow I go to work, asking folks to do surveys while feeling I should not be there:( I would like to do some laundry and check out a possible job firstn I don't honestly know if that will happen.
mikeisjoyous
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby mikeisjoyous » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:03 pm

I enjoyed your latest email, Barbara, about different solution levels for procrastination. I asked a couple of friends to participate with me looking at videos I bought about creating a specific job. No takers

Thinking about your third level, here are my thoughts: first, my evaluation of myself should be way more important to me than that of others. But how can I use that philosophical reflection in this situation?

I had just finished looking at a SciFi show where other faces are looking out of my smartphone. So I imagined my mind inner child, inner teenager, inner adult, and inner old man all looking at me and evaluating me. Kinda spooky, but it sure feels way more intense than just making a promise to myself. We'll see how it goes.
mikeisjoyous
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:35 pm

Hello mikeisjoyous,

That idea of the different aspects of yourself evaluating yourself sounds clever. It's similar to a journal writing exercise I used to do occasionally in which I'd write a letter to my former self. For example, "Dear nine year old SPG, I remember that you used to read Tom Swift Jr Adventure Series books, so I think you'll be pleased to know that I work as an electronics engineer, and one of the projects I was involved in was used on the Rover mission that landed on Mars a few years ago!" (And so on, although the letters were never quite so upbeat and exciting as that. In fact I recall writing about how I was in my thirties and still living with Mother. :roll: )

Another exercise I enjoyed doing (believe it or not) was to write my own obituary. It's a great tool for getting a high level perspective on one's life. And it's especially interesting to have a few people who are close to you read it and comment on it.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mikeisjoyous » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:08 pm

Hi Square Peg, what value did you get out of journal writing? Today I spontaneously got closer to a lady friend. Not romantically, but it felt nice to be closer to a friend. It occurs to me that I also got somewhat closer to a male friend, and a guy who might want to work with me to begin a business. Saying this,I recall Barbara's aphorism that isolation is the dream killer:) This is the nicest 4th I ever had.
mikeisjoyous
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby mikeisjoyous » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:11 pm

The obituary seems like a fine ideam I tried it long ago but it didn't work for me. I felt too weak inside to act on it. What did your obituary do for you?
mikeisjoyous
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:01 pm

Journal writing and the obituary exercise took place too long ago for me to discuss in more detail than I have already.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mikeisjoyous » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:58 pm

Ok. Today I was on the phones at work .I thought about a recent email of Barbara about not having an all or nothing mentality. I immediately scaled down the money I wanted to make from a business I was thinking of making. Felt freeing m Then I thought of aiming to lose 25 pounds over a year instead of 50 or 100. Immediately I created a simple diet and easily stuck to it.
mikeisjoyous
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:57 am

Well done!

I dislike making phone calls. Before I need to call doctors, insurance companies, service centers and such, I psyche myself up by remembering that it's the job of the person who answers my call to address my concern with courtesy. I'm a paying customer (or a potential customer) so part of what I pay for is this person's help. It's also helpful to remember that the person often has no attachment to my issue. For example, when I call about, say, a $40 a billing error or a slipcover that did not arrive when expected, I know that the $40 or slipcover does not reside with the person I'm talking to. There's no need to be mad at the person or fight with him or her. The reverse is actually true. This person is my new ally that will help me resolve the issue.

Maybe most "normal" people know this. But this is something I've had trouble with for an embarrassingly long time.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:09 am

Following on my previous post, the Collection Agent is perhaps the most vile of anyone you'll have to call, or so it would seem. But in fact, look up the company on an job placement website, one that includes employer reviews, such as Indeed.com. There you will find that the Agent who answers your call likely is under a great deal of stress from inept management, poor working conditions, excess scrutiny, long inflexible hours with limited breaks. And again, that particular operator who answers your call doesn't want your money and won't even see a penny of it. He or she is forced / pressured by his or her employer to get it from you. And that phone call is monitored. Every utterance from that person is recorded can be used against him or her in a negative performance review. Once you realize all this, such a call is like a discussion with a fellow prisoner than with an adversary.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby mikeisjoyous » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:26 pm

Hi SP:) I call people to get them to do surveys. Most of the time people curse me, lie to me, or hang up on me..
Right now, I am feeling deeply lonely.I don't want to do anything except go to sleep, read fantasy, wish I weren't alive. When I talked to my elderly self, he pointed out I am so bright and talented, it makes no sense to talk as if I have no options

A friendly psychologist suggested I check out scripted.com since I like to write. I will do that tomorrow since I have been cancelled from work tomorrow.
Bye for now,
Mike
mikeisjoyous
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Doing Good in the World