To Live in a specific place

Tell us your wish, tell us your obstacle, and we'll try to come up with some useful suggestions to help you get into action toward your dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

To Live in a specific place

Postby hannako » Tue May 09, 2017 9:07 am

I want to live in a specific area. It is an area with a high cost of living. I am transitioning into a line of work that I have been trained in but have not yet been employed in. The area that I want to live is a very good place for my field but after many resumes (long distance search) I am not getting any interviews. Trying to figure out best alternative strategy for doing long distance job search since online has not worked.
hannako
New Poster
New Poster

Re: To Live in a specific place

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue May 09, 2017 9:59 am

Hello and welcome,

Please post something, anything, after my post so that your name will be the newest and last one on this thread.

Do you have friend in the field you're interested in? One of the best ways to find work is through friends who know of an opening. In other words - networking.

I'm hoping that someone else will post here. I don't know much about job-hunting. It's changed a lot since the days that I had to do it. Are there any organizations near you that help people job hunt? There used to be some good government programs that help people find work. (That's how I found my job).
Also are there any opportunities for you to be around people who work in the field you want to work in?
Does the place you want to work in have a reasonably priced suburb and/or good public transportation?
I assume you don't want to move to a new area until you have a job lined up.
Good luck.

I'll say it again. Please post something else so that your name is the last one here.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby pattyn » Tue May 09, 2017 10:01 am

Have you tried attending professional conferences where you might meet people from the companies you'd like to get into?

Have you checked craigslist.org for house shares in that area where you might be able to live while looking for work?

Have you checked out house sitting jobs in that area?

Could you work as a live-in housekeeper, nanny, or home health care aide somewhere in that area?

Have you researched the places where people in your field in that area spend their time after work, so you could visit the area and hang out in those places to make connections?

There are people on these boards from just about everywhere. Perhaps you could edit your listing to say where and meet someone on the Sher Boards who can help you find an inexpensive place to live for a few months or connect you with someone in your field.

Have you checked out summer courses in your field at universities in that area, another opportunity to make connections?

Have you searched LinkedIn for people in that area and seen where they worked before they moved to the area? There may be a few common recruiting sources in less expensive cities.

Hoping there's at least one item on this list that you haven't yet tried. Best of luck finding your opening, Hannako.
- Patty Newbold
Director, Sher Success Teams
Marriage Education Author/Speaker - assumelove.com - enjoybeingmarried.com
pattyn
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby hannako » Tue May 09, 2017 12:48 pm

Thank you for all the good ideas.

I am visiting the area soon.

Also, I tend to be a person who needs a home healthcare aide.

I will never experience the things that I want to do in life as long as I am married.

My spouse could care less about whether my dreams are fulfilled.

I am going to do it myself.
hannako
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Jason » Wed May 10, 2017 5:29 am

It sounds like there are multiple issues going on here. You need to face your problems and resolve them, however difficult that may be.

Moving, alone, won't help, because your problems will move with you (even though you may think they won't).

So you need a home health aide but are looking to work outside the home? Or am I reading that wrong?
Jason
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby hannako » Wed May 10, 2017 6:19 am

The reason I joined this group is because the topic revolves around living your dreams.

I mentioned the home health care because someone suggested that I seek a position in that field which in my case is unlikely.

Life always has problems, that is true.

I have a particular dream and I am the only person in my life that wants to live it. Nobody else cares about whether it happens. That is not a problem, it is a fact and I truthfully I don't care about that aspect of it. Just trying to figure out how to achieve it on my own.
hannako
New Poster
New Poster

Postby hannako » Wed May 10, 2017 7:12 am

Jason if you respond to me one more time with negative and condescending suggestions I will need to ask that you leave my dream thread.

I did not come here to be bullied by anyone and that goes for you too.

I do not want you or anyone to solve my (perceived) problems.

I know what I want and am looking for ideas to achieve it.

Thank you again to those who have contributed positively.
hannako
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Tituba » Wed May 10, 2017 5:23 pm

I'm the forum's moderator.

Jason, I'm sure, had the best intentions with his posting. IIt doesn't appear to be condescending nor hostile. Most people on this board only want to help. It is hard in a public forum to know what can and cannot be addressed. When you post your issues, you put it out there for people to comment. Otherwise, you would not have opened up.

Most of us have been in difficult life situations and have found ways to figure it out. You will receive more responses and perhaps great ideas if you open yourself up to ideas. We watch these boards and rest assured, if someone gets hostile, they are dispatched. You may not have liked what Jason had to say, however, I believe he was respectful and had the best intentions. Please consider that when responding to posters.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby hannako » Wed May 10, 2017 6:28 pm

Sorry, Jason.

I have been surrounded by negativity for so long to the
point where it has impacted my physical health (Dr. says).

Just trying to stay focused on the positive because of that.
hannako
New Poster
New Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sat May 13, 2017 7:02 pm

Welcome to the forum! I hope the move works out for you.

Back in 1992, when I lived in NY, I managed to find an apartment in CT. This was before the Internet was useful for anything. The local NY library had the CT newspaper, which I read often for real estate listings. But I was lucky to find out about a job there through a professor's recommendation. So I started the job and lived in a motel for a few weeks until I picked one of the apartments, signed the lease and moved in.

Today, if I were to attempt what you want to do, I'd try to find contacts in the two organizations that I'm active in. One is a religious group. The other is a professional society. I suppose if those two didn't get me anywhere, I'd also go through my college alumni association. (And lastly, I'd enlist the help of my enormous extended family.) I know if someone from, say, Maine, called me and said so-and-so recommended that he/she call me, I'd offer a reasonable amount of help in relocating that person.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon May 15, 2017 11:37 am

Dreams are very fragile, especially in the beginning. We'll try to respect that, and make this a safe place to talk about yours. And I agree with Tituba - I don't think Jason meant any harm, but I can see where it might have touched a delicate spot. Talking about dreams is a risky business.

You took one step when you posted here. Your first step to making your dream happen. Did it feel that way to you? I hope you'll keep taking steps, maybe sharing a little more about your dream. But only as you feel comfortable.

It sounds as if your dream is a difficult one, and that you have many real obstacles to overcome. That's okay. And as you've already seen, we'll help you any way we can.

Oh, one important piece of information. Our feelings go in stages. Stage one we feel so wonderful and strong that we could do anything in about a week. Then stage two happens. "What on earth was I thinking? This is impossible." We get very depressed. Then stage three happens. It feels normal - not ecstatic, not depressed, but we do the work that needs to happen to make the dream come true. This may not apply to you, but it does apply to a lot of people including me. I've been through stage two over, and over and over . . . and I've done some really cool things on the way. So it's been worth it.

One last thing - we are people. We don't know everything, and we don't know you, except for what you share with us on this website. So read what we have to say, and feel free to take what works and ignore what doesn't.

Good luck.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Tue May 30, 2017 1:33 pm

Tituba wrote:I'm the forum's moderator.

Jason, I'm sure, had the best intentions with his posting. IIt doesn't appear to be condescending nor hostile. Most people on this board only want to help. It is hard in a public forum to know what can and cannot be addressed. When you post your issues, you put it out there for people to comment. Otherwise, you would not have opened up.

Most of us have been in difficult life situations and have found ways to figure it out. You will receive more responses and perhaps great ideas if you open yourself up to ideas. We watch these boards and rest assured, if someone gets hostile, they are dispatched. You may not have liked what Jason had to say, however, I believe he was respectful and had the best intentions. Please consider that when responding to posters.

I agree with Tituba, Hannako. If you're really interested in achieving this dream, I'd take his suggestions seriously.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Tue May 30, 2017 1:39 pm

Perhaps you can describe your wish a little more clearly.

1. Do you *need* home health care? Or are you looking for work in the field of *being* a home health care professional. It's a little unclear.

2. I'm very impressed with many of the suggestions here! I'd like to know if you have considered them, or will consider them, to help you achieve your dream. I'm curious to know if they are useful to you and if so, can we help you. And if not, can we find a way to make them more useful?

Is it possible for you to try any of these excellent suggestions from the posts above? I think they might really help you get what you want: Here are the ones that might be most helpful:

Are there any organizations near you that help people job hunt? There used to be some good government programs that help people find work. (That's how I found my job).
Also are there any opportunities for you to be around people who work in the field you want to work in?
Does the place you want to work in have a reasonably priced suburb and/or good public transportation?

Have you tried attending professional conferences where you might meet people from the companies you'd like to get into?

Have you checked craigslist.org for house shares in that area where you might be able to live while looking for work?

Have you checked out house sitting jobs in that area?

Could you work as a live-in housekeeper, nanny, or home health care aide somewhere in that area?

Have you researched the places where people in your field in that area spend their time after work, so you could visit the area and hang out in those places to make connections?

There are people on these boards from just about everywhere. Perhaps you could edit your listing to say where and meet someone on the Sher Boards who can help you find an inexpensive place to live for a few months or connect you with someone in your field.

Have you checked out summer courses in your field at universities in that area, another opportunity to make connections?
a
Have you searched LinkedIn for people in that area and seen where they worked before they moved to the area? There may be a few common recruiting sources in less expensive cities.

Can you find contacts in the two organizations that I'm active in. One is a religious group. The other is a professional society. I suppose if those two didn't get me anywhere, I'd also go through my college alumni association. (And lastly, I'd enlist the help of my enormous extended family.)

If you try these suggestions and run into problems I'm sure there will be suggestions for how to overcome those problems. But I'd like to know you tried these suggestions so we'll know if they're useful and realistic or not.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Wishes and Obstacles