Want to distribute article--but I'm old school

Tell us your wish, tell us your obstacle, and we'll try to come up with some useful suggestions to help you get into action toward your dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Want to distribute article--but I'm old school

Postby jcjm » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:27 am

WISH
I re-wrote and updated some retirement planning information I had and would like to get it out to teach and inform people about some misconceptions they may have on the subject.

OBSTACLE
I'm old school and not sure how to go about it as opposed to 10 years ago. The subject is for mostly boomers, but even they don't get information they way they use to. (ex: Newspapers are disappearing and even 90 year olds are on Facebook now)

In the old days I would pitch the story to print media, do some community education classes, and speak to groups.

Not looking for money, just want to inform and teach.

Any ideas?
jcjm
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Want to distribute article--but I'm old school

Postby Tituba » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:30 pm

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:58 pm

What about community colleges or adult education programs? If the subject is relevant to seniors, senior centers might be willing to let you do a presentation. Also retirement orgs. and unions. I'm old-school as well.

You could post a promotional item on Twitter and Facebook, and have a link to a blog with your article. The trick is to get people to find your posts. Which means having friends on Twitter and Facebook who will pass along your info. There are a lot of places to get free blogs - blogspot, Wordpress, and others that I don't know about.

I'm also old-school, and not great at social media, but that is the cheapest way to contact a lot of people. Good luck, and please post if you are successful. (Or even if you're not.)

Good luck.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:54 am

Just had a thought. Your target audience is baby boomers, you said. I guess I'm a baby boomer. We're on the cusp between old school and new school. I've been dragged kicking and screaming into the age of computers. I understand Facebook and Twitter, but I don't like them. I hate getting a lot of paper mail, but it's the only way that a charity will ever get any money from me. I hate telemarketers.

So what I'm thinking is this - if your target audience is baby boomers, maybe all the things you already know will work for you. At least with a significant portion of your audience. You could start there.

Good luck.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:29 pm

Also AARP and newsletters are always looking for filler information. And they distribute their magazines through paper (snail mail) and electronically - so you get both without having to any extra work..
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:01 pm

I recommend contacting your local public library. They can put up a single flyer on their bulletin board, keep a stack for patrons to take home, or even encourage you to do a quarterly presentation.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:34 am

I love the library, Square, Peg. I wish it got the recognition it deserves.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:38 am

Me too, but with budget issues, libraries are cutting down on hours and services. Our Inter Library Loan system now has a limit of five open requests per patron, and the transport system has cut back on deliveries, so we might have to wait several weeks for a book to be delivered that's just sitting unused on a shelf in another part of the state.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Wwt » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:30 pm

If you really want to jump into something new, I see a lot of articles on medium.com these days. You could post it there and link from Twitter, Facebook, or any other social media site where you might find your audience.
Wwt
New User
New User

Return to Wishes and Obstacles