W: Excel at Dream Job / O: Burnout

Tell us your wish, tell us your obstacle, and we'll try to come up with some useful suggestions to help you get into action toward your dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

W: Excel at Dream Job / O: Burnout

Postby SquarePeg » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:53 pm

Finally, after a couple / few decades, I have attained my dream job as an engineer / inventor in the research and development branch of a technological solutions company with "deep pockets." I want to show everyone (especially my boss) that this is what I was meant to do. I want to produce amazing work, which I think I can. That's my wish.

But the problem is that in order to get to this point it feels like I ran a marathon. I'm at the finish line ready to collapse. And that's my obstacle: fatigue, burnout and (most worrisome) a possible steep decline in cognitive ability as my skills and know-how have been squandered for so long.

To start, I'm looking for "virtual mentors" who can motivate and direct me. I'm thinking along the lines of biographies of researchers with inspiring anecdotes of how they overcame adversity and even/especially tips/tricks in them that made them successful (or at least made their days go a little easier).

In fact the books that first whet my appetite (45 years ago) for this field were children's books: The Tom Swift Jr Adventure Series. Wouldn't it be great if I could read stories like that again, but this time around it wouldn't be fiction?

Anyway, thanks for reading this far...
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Online Resources 01

Postby SquarePeg » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:32 am

Just in case there are others who'd benefit from answers to this W/O request, I'll post helpful resources I discovered:

http://www.kitchensoap.com/2012/10/25/o ... -engineer/
http://katemats.com/leadership/
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: W: Excel at Dream Job / O: Burnout

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:06 pm

Congratulations. I only know you from the boards, but, from that, I know that you worked really hard to get the promotion, and you totally deserved it. (sorry for the teenage "totally" but the word just fits.) and I know you'll excel in it, just as your wish says.

You've had some challenges these past few years, so no wonder you're feeling a little burned out. (a lot burned out?)

I can identify with the feeling of burn out and the comments about cognitive whatever. I have a few more years, and lot more burnout under my belt than you do, and, one of the answers for me is to be more organized than I was in my twenties, thirties, and forties, and etc. etc. Since you're an engineer, you're probably already as organized as it gets.

Anyway, good wishes. Thanks for sharing.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Wwt » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:42 pm

I think one trick is doing something your way, using your own unique set of skills. You have less energy doing things "their way", but if you can make it yours, you might get drawn into it and feel the passion again.
Wwt
New User
New User

Postby SquarePeg » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:14 pm

Thanks, Elaine. You'd think I'd be organized, and I was initially. But that's another thing that I slacked off on, due to the overwhelming number of requests I would get to "put out fires" and babysit people in manufacturing.

But I've already taken step to remedy this lack of organization. I've gone back to my computer-based task management program (which went through two major revisions since I last used it). I'm taking time to relearn it and get more from it this time.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:52 am

Hi, Wwt Do you have a wish?
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:01 pm

Wwt wrote:I think one trick is doing something your way, using your own unique set of skills. You have less energy doing things "their way", but if you can make it yours, you might get drawn into it and feel the passion again.
Thanks, Wwt. Yes, I'm starting to use the planning / journaling program that I stopped using about four years ago. It's gone through two versions since then, and there's a learning curve. But it's quite unique, fun and cool!
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:42 pm

Hope the burnout has burned out a bit. It sounds as if you're having a little more fun.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:21 pm

Well, I've started the light treatment for SAD, again. I think that's what you're noticing.

My "inventor-Mentor" motivational reading has taken a slight detour. I'm reading / re-reading "The Biology of Belief" (Lipton). It's the new edition that came out two years ago, and it's annotated with updates. I had read an earlier edition, hence the "reading / re-reading".
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:29 pm

Looking back through this topic, I see that I neglected to mention that I went to the doctor early July with specific complaints that included forgetfulness, fatigue and muscle aches -- most of what I experience with burnout. He gave me a requisition for a blood draw, although he wasn't sure what codes to use.

The results came back negative (nothing found). But I still have problems.

Already I'm taking a Special Pill, an upper, basically. Started that in January. Felt great two hours after the first dose. But I don't notice any effect from it anymore.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Tituba » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:43 pm

Ah, beware the doctor who throws pills at a situation. Have you considered seeing a nutritionist. I have a friend who had those symptoms and gave up gluten (I know, I know, it is the fad thing to do). She swears it turned everything around.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:30 pm

Just wishing you good things.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Wishes and Obstacles