W: Excel at Dream Job / O: Burnout

Tell us your wish, tell us your obstacle, and we'll try to come up with some useful suggestions to help you get into action toward your dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: W: Excel at Dream Job / O: Burnout

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:35 am

My two cents worth -

I think as we get older and have yucky things happening to us, we're bound to get depressed. Keeping ourselves happy and healthy gets harder and harder. That's depressing just by itself. I really believe in the diet, exercise, sleep, therapy that you posted about. My personal version of it is get outside, get exercise, and talk to people. Since you're still working, the talk to people part comes automatically. Also, bad, depressing things happen when we don't get exercise, lots of sleep, etc. Anyway, it sounds as if you're finding out what works and what doesn't. So that's good.

As I type this, I'm ignoring my advice, and eating junk food.

Still wishing you good things.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:20 pm

I'm wishing good things for you, too.

It's premature for me to announce this, but I'm planning to write a work of fiction. Not sure if it will be a short story or novel, yet.

I mention this now only because you, Elaine, have inspired me. Plus, there is this insane plot nagging at me.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:14 pm

Hi Square Peg,

You've always been so supportive of me going after my goals. Thank you for that. I'd love to add my perspective for you on this thread. I'll have to come back and read later, but will post soon. For now, good luck and best wishes. Inspire
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:11 pm

OK, I'm back and I read all the posts. I'm just going to throw out stuff that's helped me. You probably know all of it, but just in case you don't, or in case you haven't tried it, or in case you've forgotten about it...

Acupuncture has helped me most of my life for a variety of complaints. It's gentle and slow, but can be very effective if you do it long enough. Most insurance companies will cover it for a limited amount of time - usually something like 10 visits or 3 visits, etc. Sometimes, not long enough to know if it works, but it's worth a try.

A diet with high protein helps to even out the ups and downs of energy fluctuation.

I assume in the blood tests they tested your thyroid? Can cause exhaustion, depression, plus other symptoms, which I can't remember, but you could check it out.

The diet, exercise, meditation, good sleep recommendation, in my opinion, is just a baseline health approach. I do all that, but it doesn't solve lots of my health problems.

RE: light box. I've used one for about 30 years. After far as using it year around, it would depend on the individual and the weather in your area. I live in Northern California. The winters are rainy, damp, dark and nasty. That's when it helps me most. In my area the summers are non-stop sun. We never get rain in the summertime, hence no cloudy days. Just a lot a lot a lot of sun. If I don't stop using the light box when the sunny weather comes it makes me hyper -- way too much light! Every person is different. I know someone in California who gets depressed in spring/summer. I don't know if she's ever tried a light box, but my point is, everyone is different. I know it's helped you in the past. Might as well give a yearly go.

RE: brain drain. brainhq.com. I haven't used it myself, but have a friend who has had good results with it. It gives you the option of choosing what type of brain function you want to work on. If I remember correctly, you've done the books for brain training. The website probably covers the same stuff, but may be more fun than a book.

So many different things can cause Brain Drain and depression and exhaustion. When I went back to school at age 40 to do my masters degree, I had about 15 minutes of concentration then my brain went dead. This is for a person who usually reads 2-3 books per week. It turned out it was early menopause. Who wouda thunk it! Never heard of that. Of course, that's not your problem :D but my point is, those symptoms can be caused by many unexpected things. So, hang in there. Hopefully, with trial and error, plus all of Elaine's and my endless brainstorming, you will find something that will help.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:26 pm

P.S. I almost forgot to say...

I'm thrilled you've got your dream job! Congrats and hugs! :D
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:34 pm

Oh yay! someone else writing. Have fun with it. You probably know this, but be careful about what you post so that it doesn't get stolen.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:57 pm

Thank you so much, inspiresuccess!

RE: brainhq... Thanks, I'll check it out! I've re-started using the free versions of Lumosity and Elevate, which are also brain training programs. I do think they help to some extent, but variety is important, so having a new one to try is very helpful!

I've had the thyroid tested, but only TSH. Some alternative practitioners suggest also checking T3 and T4. While a high TSH can indicate a problem, a normal or low value could either mean that there's no problem or that the endocrine system is so "swazschatz" that it can't elevate TSH the way it would like.

Getting to "hyper" seems so far away. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. With autumn starting, the New England days will be short. I'll have to get through seven to nine months before I decide whether to use it in summer.

Acupuncture sounds interesting. I've read about some energy work healing methods. I'm most familiar with Reiki, and I've had one complete session.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:06 pm

Elaine, I'm refraining from posting the story online.

And actually there are two stories now. I've started writing the second one, which is growing out of an exercise described in "Power Up Your Brain -- The Neuroscience of Enlightenment," by David Perlmutter and Alberto Villoldo.
https://books.google.com/books?id=pnn43 ... &lpg=PA171

The exercise says to
Take a pen and paper and write a one-page fairy tale that starts with "Once upon a time..." Include a princess or a prince, a warrior, and a dragon, but allow the story to unfold and gain in complexity as you weave in other characters and adventures. If you think this sounds childish, give yourself permission to be childlike for a few moments.

And BTW, this book gives me hope that I can reverse my brain drain.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:49 pm

I've updated my second post with two references to books.

Another writing idea came to me yesterday, and I er, purged myself of it rather quickly tonight. It's a bogus book review. Well, the book is real. It's by a comedian. But I had an overwhelming urge to write a wacky and senseless review of it...

A brief warning -- it's not appropriate for young children and might be offensive to some. Let me know if you get a laugh from it.

https://square--peg.blogspot.com/2017/0 ... david.html
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby tui » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:17 am

I noticed in one of your posts you mention about 'showing other people' that you can produce 'amazing work' - and I wondered a bit. Perhaps first prove to yourself and 'please yourself'. Make it a firm intention to build your self-confidence again. Being noticed by outsiders is nice; a bit of confirmation, yet it's your own doubting self that needs repeated convincing and only you can do that.

Have you stopped doing all the things you were doing when you were looking for your dream job? You know - the mentors and inspiration and amusements? Or are you still doing them AND your best job? Could be time to let yourself move through the transition into a new reality.

You really have run a marathon. For decades. Did you stop, mop your fevered brow, take time out to celebrate reaching the goal you had in mind and let the past slide into place? Or are you still flogging the old horse? Pats, oats, and thanks for keeping faith will go much much further in reviving your hard-working self.

This is a wild guess: you need a lot more time in the sun, possibly getting your hands dirty, maybe even tinkering in the workshop doing real and tangible things on wet days. Are they pleasant options? (Not 'exercise' as such. Kindly more than driving or punishing.)

And how about a short list of ten things you would be amazed and delighted if you came up with even smidgens of breakthrough before the end of this year? In detail. Preliminary exploration with the steps to be taken, using either your favourite productive method or a less formal method such as mind-mapping. Get it out of the head and onto paper so you can assign it the time and focus it needs for success.

If you changed your book diet to say, cook books and alternative power systems and how to grow mushrooms in the basement... Or swamp boats and some fantasy fiction more light-hearted than squalid for tangential ideas. Ask your most helpful librarian for present day authors of kids' books similar to what you used to read and love. Why? Cut some new mental grooves. Take a break from the old and familiar. Give yourself some well-earned novelty and a vacation/break from the old ways.

Perhaps do a daily brain dump to catch all the flitting thoughts. If you don't mind sitting in front of a screen - try Simpleology. It lets you mark your mental bits with 'do, delegate, dump or even delay'. Nothing to fuss over or keep visiting: it's all been caught. Your mind is then free to come to the relief of focusing, digging in, and getting to explore the interesting thing you've been given to investigate and play with.

What lets you play and laugh? Daily chortles are amazingly good for you - body, mind, and spirit. A minimum of five - and YouTube is your friend. No one need ever know your secret vice of watching hilarious cat videos (just kidding!)

You mention sleep apnea, which is a nasty thing indeed. The symptoms you listed sound like sleep insufficiency. Has your GP made arrangements for you to attend at a sleep clinic to track this further and give you the relief of a decent month of sleep? Pills aren't needed if you can stop the frequent nightly interruptions to your airflow. Even simply putting a wedge under your mattress at the pillow end can keep your tongue in place and keep your airways open. And fresh air, if your climate is salubrious. It's hard to perk up when your sleep quality is poor.

Another possible is taking a 'ten minute nap' around the time when you're looking for a booster. That may work for you. If your natural rhythm is a little out of synch with the standard working day you're probably going to need a safe way to recharge. Conversely - a quick sprint up and down the stairs (clutching a file or sheaf of papers as camouflage) could refresh the oxygen levels and bring you back up to optimum.
tui
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:41 am

I remembered this stress test. Getting what we want can be just as stressful as getting what we don't want. https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newTCS_82.htm. If you google "stress test" there are lots of other charts along the same line. You may need more of an adjustment period than you think you do.

It sounds like writing is giving you a nice brain challenge and a break from work related activities.

Tui's got lots of great suggestions. A brief walk or going up and down stairs is a great idea to re-energize. Tui's writing style is entertaining, funny, and creative. Even if you don't take any of his/her suggestions, it's a fun read!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:52 pm

I'm wishing you good luck with your writing. And your new job? How is that going?
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:45 pm

tui wrote:-snip-
You mention sleep apnea, which is a nasty thing indeed. The symptoms you listed sound like sleep insufficiency. Has your GP made arrangements for you to attend at a sleep clinic to track this further and give you the relief of a decent month of sleep? Pills aren't needed if you can stop the frequent nightly interruptions to your airflow. Even simply putting a wedge under your mattress at the pillow end can keep your tongue in place and keep your airways open. And fresh air, if your climate is salubrious. It's hard to perk up when your sleep quality is poor.

Another possible is taking a 'ten minute nap' around the time when you're looking for a booster. That may work for you. If your natural rhythm is a little out of synch with the standard working day you're probably going to need a safe way to recharge. Conversely - a quick sprint up and down the stairs (clutching a file or sheaf of papers as camouflage) could refresh the oxygen levels and bring you back up to optimum.
Just a quick check-in...

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea at a clinic ten years ago and I use a CPAP machine to maintain an open airway. The "AHI" is good now -- very little interruption in breathing. I think if I could get at least 7 hours uninterrupted sleep each night, I might be OK. But that's so hard to do many days of the week. I discovered an afternoon pick-me-up: either 4oz Red Bull with seltzer water and lemon, or Hi-Ball energy drink. The fizz and the stimulants seem to do more for me than mere coffee.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:43 am

I saw a new Sleep Doctor at the end of September. He suggested that I use the light box in the morning rather than in the afternoon, which is what I had been doing. Also, he said to not limit the exposure to only 30 minutes. He said I should leave it on for the entire morning.

So under the new light protocol, I find that the mornings slow down. For example, I used to look at the clock near the end of my morning routine, see that it's 10am, and wonder where the time went. But now I look at the clock and am amazed that it's only 8am. It's that significant of a change. It's as if there's a photoreceptor in my brain that sends a signal to my brain to speed up processing. And here in New England, the mornings have been quite dark and dreary lately, so I'm even more impressed.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:28 pm

Hi,

I didn't know you didn't know about the light box timing! I would have said something sooner. I have my set on a timer so that it goes on automatically in the morning like the sun coming up. It wakes me up instead of an alarm clock. Yes, it's best to get your light first thing in the morning. I'm glad you got a new doctor who suggested that.

It's been so sunny here this winter I haven't needed to use mine yet. Once the mornings start getting dark and rainy I'll be using it again.

Happy Light Time!

Inspire
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Wishes and Obstacles