Wish: To stay motivated to work on my online business

Tell us your wish, tell us your obstacle, and we'll try to come up with some useful suggestions to help you get into action toward your dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Wish: To stay motivated to work on my online business

Postby Wogglebug » Wed May 30, 2018 7:58 am

Obstacle: Me.

I don't know if anyone is still here but I need to vent and I still consider this a safe place.

Once again I find myself working in a good enough job that is becoming a time and soul hog. Yet, when I'm home and have time to work on my businesses I find myself instead using television, books and video games to divert my attention from the angst in my life.

I am an uber-scanner. I can only stay motivated for a couple of hours at a time then I lose interest. I am currently working on a craft book that I will be self publishing through Amazon. It's the first book in a series and it's in its final stages. Getting myself to work on it is like pulling teeth. I should have been done months ago.

How do I use my dissatisfaction with my job to keep me motivated to work on my business? Instead of using other things to divert my attention from the problem.

Wogs.
Wogs
Wogglebug
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: Wish: To stay motivated to work on my online business

Postby Tituba » Wed May 30, 2018 8:30 am

The best motivator is accountability. Is there someone in your life you can talk to and have them check in with you that you are keeping your promises?
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby pattyn » Wed May 30, 2018 9:51 am

What Tituba said! And even more effective if the person you're accountable to will do the parts of the work that don't require your expertise. Hire someone to help with the book and set a schedule for feeding her or him information and decisions.
- Patty Newbold
Director, Sher Success Teams
Marriage Education Author/Speaker - assumelove.com - enjoybeingmarried.com
pattyn
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Wogglebug » Wed May 30, 2018 12:30 pm

Hi Tituba and Pattyn.

Thanks for responding. I remember you Tituba from back in 2003 when i was posting quite a lot. Time flies.

I think you might be right about me needing some accountability. I have always had a problem with accountability in that I don't like to be accountable to anyone, even myself. I am currently working with a business counselor and there is some accountability to her. She doesn't really push me though. Problem is if I ask her to push me, she will and then I will back off completely. It's the little girl in me saying "nobody tells me what to do".

My brother and I discussed getting together monthly to discuss our business plans. It was great and very motivational, the one and only time we met. I guess we both have some issues with follow through.

I'm afraid that hiring someone at this time isn't possible or practical. In the future,for sure, but not now.

Since posting this I've been researching using the pain from a bad job to help motivate me to move forward on my business. I found a good site that's helping me to dig into the underlying feelings that I need to unearth to figure out whats holding me back.
I did the same thing with one of Barbara's book clubs and it was really helpful to me.

Thanks for your suggestions and for listening to me vent. I'll try to get my brother to meet up again. In the meantime I'll continue with digging to find out what my underlying issues are that are holding me back.
Wogs
Wogs
Wogglebug
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby pattyn » Wed May 30, 2018 4:14 pm

I hope you find yourself moving forward again soon, Wogglebug!
- Patty Newbold
Director, Sher Success Teams
Marriage Education Author/Speaker - assumelove.com - enjoybeingmarried.com
pattyn
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Wed May 30, 2018 6:07 pm

Check around for a networking group in your area. If there are none, then start one. Surrounding yourself with others who are creating their own path will do wonders for your motivation. If you form a group on your own, then you could meet and talk about steps you are taking with your business. The next time the group meets, each will be held accountable to the others. If your resistance is such that this accountability angers you, then you do need to work on that as you won't get off the starting block if you are standing in your own way. We believe the stories we tell ourselves. I urge you to reach what Barbara wrote about resistance.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu May 31, 2018 11:50 am

Woggglebug, I could have written your wish. Oh, wait, I did. Over and over. And I'm still posting it. Over and over. WHat you are doing is hard. (for me at least.) I have two writers groups that support me in person, and on the Internet, I post on the "stepper" thread here under "success stories.." Also, I take the Nanowrimo challenge almost every April, July, and November. The challenge for April and July is to do a specified amount of work - you specify how much. Also you specify whether you'll count words, pages, hours, etc. And you get a "cabin" of twenty people whom you can chat with. The cabin size varies. Also there are a lot of support staff and threads about publishing, encouraging, etc. on Nanowrimo. If you meet your challenge, you get a bunch of winner goodies. Don't get too excited about the winner goodies. You get recognition, and you can buy "winner" T-shirts, and you get discounts from publishing companies. It's free, but you''ll get e-mails asking for donation, which you can ignore if money is tight.

No pressure, but you're right, the Boards aren't as popular as they used to be. So if you want to post on the "stepper" thread, we'd love to have you.

Besides a support group, another thing that works for me is to set very small goals. Like half a page of writing, or finding out if they had a shark exhibit in the Baltimore national aquarium in 2005, or - you get the picture. ANd I try to write every day. Boy, have I ever muffed that one! But once I get into writing, I can keep going. Once I stop, it's hard to get motivated to write again.

Oh, in Nanowrimo, November's goal is 50,000 words written in the month of November. If that doesn't work, you can ignore the goal, and still write as much as you want and get encouragement.

Good luck.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jason » Thu May 31, 2018 11:53 am

Post an ad online (and/or on a community bulletin board (if you can find one)) seeking an accountability partner - someone who will keep you accountable in exchange for you keeping them accountable. No monetary cost - just a small bit of time periodically to ask, 'Have you done what you said you were going to do?'.
Jason
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:04 pm

I was thinking "pro-nagger" as I was reading the first post in this thread. I've never used it for real, but I think others on this site have.

But then when I read, "No one tells me what to do" it occurred to me that maybe a doubter might be more effective than a supporter. If you're the oppositional type I think you might be, the best motivator might be one who says, "You can't do business -- you're too [enter negative trait here]."

One other comment I make to these kinds of posts is this: how is your health? If you're worn down from poor diet, lack of sleep or even a low level infection, it can be hard to follow a passion on your free time. With a full time job you might have company sponsored health insurance. A wellness visit might have 0 copay and no fee for blood work. Some insurance plans cover massage or other therapeutic work.

Anyway I wish you well!
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Wishes and Obstacles