Wish: Get away to the Beach with my husband and recharge

Tell us your wish, tell us your obstacle, and we'll try to come up with some useful suggestions to help you get into action toward your dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Wish: Get away to the Beach with my husband and recharge

Postby NickyZ » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:37 pm

My husband suffers from Fibromialgia and was recently diagnosed with chronic depression. So I am basically the main bread winner. I love my husband very much and even though we are both in our 40's we are both feeling burnt out. Also both of us lost our grandmothers this year and financially we are just trying to keep our heads above water. Basically, the obstacle is financial but our wish is to run away for a bit to the beach. Nothing fancy - just romantic and quiet! I'm not sure how this wish and obstacle board works but anything is possible. :)
NickyZ
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Wish: Get away to the Beach with my husband and recharge

Postby pattyn » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:39 pm

What's the real obstacle to getting to a beach? In other words, what specifically do you need the money for? We're pretty clever at finding ways to do things without money or making extra money in odd ways. And, big question, where do you live, so we can figure out how to get you to a beach near you?
- Patty Newbold
Director, Sher Success Teams
Marriage Education Author/Speaker - assumelove.com - enjoybeingmarried.com
pattyn
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:13 am

How far away from the ocean do you live? If far away, could going to a lake work?
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:00 pm

Many beaches have nearby campsites. If your husband has fibromialgia, sleeping in a tent on the ground might not work, but I thought I'd toss the idea out anyway. Also, a day at the beach, and a romantic evening at home might be something easier to do and almost free.

I think your idea is a great one, by the way. I can't think of a better way to treat depression than by doing what you're wishing.

I've been depressed, and I've known a lot of people who are depressed. It's weird. Getting out is one of the best ways to lift depression, and depression makes the person just want to stay inside and sleep. Pain is another reason not to get out. I don't know if either issue applies to you, but, again, I'm tossing it out.

And, same question, how far away from the beach are you?

I hope you get your wish.
Last edited by Elaine Glimme on Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Tituba » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:15 pm

Social isolation is becoming more and more common.
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby NickyZ » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:54 pm

I'm an over thinker perhaps. My husband always says we never have enough money so I want to be practical so he doesn't worry and just enjoys himself and relaxes. We were living in New Jersey but moved to the city of Puebla, MX to lend a hand to his family. Its 2 hours from Mexico City. I'm an English teacher here.
NickyZ
New Poster
New Poster

Postby NickyZ » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:57 pm

Its true I am in peri-menopause and I loved being around lots a people- I was such a socialite but now I realize it must be depression- I just want to be alone now. Isolation is becoming a very bad habit of mine. Part of me knows its no good :(
NickyZ
New Poster
New Poster

Postby NickyZ » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:01 pm

Just seeing all the positive responses lifts my spirits. I am actually looking into any nearby lakes. Its just nice to feel support. Thank you everyone. I'm going to look at ideas-cheap but romantic and relaxing ones. :)
NickyZ
New Poster
New Poster

Postby pattyn » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:55 pm

Bravo, Nicky! Bravo for finding the solution that's less stressful for your husband but still meets your need for a break. Bravo for recognizing and dealing with the depression that's fallen over you. And bravo for showing up and asking for what you need. I hope you have a wonderful, relaxing, restorative time off.
- Patty Newbold
Director, Sher Success Teams
Marriage Education Author/Speaker - assumelove.com - enjoybeingmarried.com
pattyn
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:49 am

I looked up Puebla on the net. I can see your problem. I'm guessing you're about three to four hours away from the Gulf of Mexico, and even farther from the Pacific Ocean. So visiting a lake would probably be an easier option, at least at first. Also, I'm guessing that moving from New Jersey to central Mexico is quite a change and may take a bit of getting used to. I'm glad you're teaching. That's a job that puts you in contact with people for a good chunk of the day.

So good luck.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:08 pm

Good luck to you and your husband, NickyZ!

I can't help with your specific wish, so if you want to skip reading the rest, that's fine...

My depression has increased over the years, but it definitely gets worse in November when the daylight hours dwindle in the northern hemisphere. (The term is Seasonal Affective Disorder, or "SAD". I'm not kidding.) I mention this because I'm hoping that's true for either you or your husband, too. It means that moving so far south puts you in a zone with much more daylight. Maybe the depression might lesson just by being in more sunlight.

Are either of you slightly religious? If so, you might get welcomed into the community more quickly by spending time with a local religious group.

Finally, forests are said to be healing:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 161221.htm

So if the nearest water front is two hours away, but the nearest trail through a forest is nearby, a daily or weekly jaunt through the forest might be a better option.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Wishes and Obstacles