find work and live in Florida

Tell us your wish, tell us your obstacle, and we'll try to come up with some useful suggestions to help you get into action toward your dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

find work and live in Florida

Postby Sabine » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:49 am

Dear everyone,

my biggest wish and request is to get/find an internship and/or entry position in Florida, USA in a pharmaceutical communication/PR agency in the healthcare sector or similar. Making an abroad experience.
The problem...I‘m german.. and a jobseeker and I don‘t have any contacts there.
If there is anybody out there who has contacts, a job position in the pharmaceutical/healthcare area, or does know somebody or has a plan or idea... please let me know! I urgently need your help!! Since now, I just tried to apply initial for some agencies in Florida ..without success.
Thank you so much!
Sabine
New Poster
New Poster

Re: find work and live in Florida

Postby BarbaraSher » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:22 am

If you were a U.S. firm hiring in this field, what would make Sabine look interesting or valuable to you?
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby RachelACornell » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:26 am

I don’t have any connections in your field. But I do live in Orlando FL. I need someone to stay at our house and take really good care of
a very old dog for a week over Christmas. If you think a free place to stay in trade for pet sitting could be useful to you, please get in touch.
When people work with me, their book gets written, their project gets finished, their words get published, they lose the weight, they find the husband, they travel to India – in 90 days or less.

Rachel Z. Cornell, The ProNagger
http://ProNagger.com
RachelACornell
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby pattyn » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:27 am

Some of our largest pharmaceutical companies are headquartered in Germany. Could you inquire there about positions in the US? Or about jobs there that would give you the experience to possibly qualify for a visa that allows you to work here?

Also, how important is it that you go to Florida? Most of the pharmaceutical PR and writing jobs are in New Jersey.

I recommend Indeed.com for any US job search. But always also write to the companies that do what you're looking to do, even when they are not advertising. An ordinary Google search can find them.
- Patty Newbold
Director, Sher Success Teams
Marriage Education Author/Speaker - assumelove.com - enjoybeingmarried.com
pattyn
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:51 am

Yummy! Two good responses! I love these!

Sabine, go through the suggestions one by one (right here would be perfect!) and tell us what you like best about each one -- that will educate us about you, and maybe about the field you're in.

Then tell us what wouldn't work or would have to be changed, and we'll come up with more, hopefully better, ideas!

(I feel a great brainstorm coming on!)
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Sabine » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:45 am

BarbaraSher wrote:Yummy! Two good responses! I love these!

Sabine, go through the suggestions one by one (right here would be perfect!) and tell us what you like best about each one -- that will educate us about you, and maybe about the field you're in.

Then tell us what wouldn't work or would have to be changed, and we'll come up with more, hopefully better, ideas!

(I feel a great brainstorm coming on!)

Thank you all so so much for your good ideas and for writing me. I’m overwhelmed…really. I didn’t expect that!
Sabine
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Sabine » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:47 am

RachelACornell wrote:I don’t have any connections in your field. But I do live in Orlando FL. I need someone to stay at our house and take really good care of
a very old dog for a week over Christmas. If you think a free place to stay in trade for pet sitting could be useful to you, please get in touch.

Here I like the idea that I would have a place to stay and mybe have a look directly in Florida for a position that I'm able to speak to people directly and get connections. I'm impressed that a stranger would offer me a place to stay. Thanks so far!
Sabine
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Sabine » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:40 am

I also thank you very much for your advice. I already know indeed and had look at the homepage as well. And yes I also tried to find German based companies which were also present in the USÁ. But unfortunately I couldn't find one in Florida, besides Johnson&Johnson.
I hold a master of science in nutrition science and I worked for 1 1/2 years as a research associate at a German clinic in the cancer research field. I read Barbara Shers book, because I was so unhappy with my work. I find out that I'm the scary type of person :) and I decided to quit the lab work. I'm pretty flexible in my job search what is good. I'm a very open-minded person, I love to get in touch and connect with people, I'm a good team player and communicative. I also have passion for the healtcare field, which is also my background. I also have passion for organizing, planning and management. Therefore I'm looking for jobs in the healthcare field communication agencies. Also junior product manager would be interesting for me.

Why Florida...I will be honest. I'm 28 years old and I would love to see another part of the world and have an abroad experience before I settle down with family. I love the warm weather (coming from Germany :)) ) and the sea...And my boyfriend, which is so far my best and most serious relationship, has now a commitment for a PhD position also in Florida, which was also his biggest dream. But I don't want to be separated transatletical from him for 4 years..He will start at 01/01/13. He promised that he also want to help me getting a job there but he's also German and don't have any rights :)
So my challenge is on one hand to find my job I'm good in and what I would like to do and on the other hand I want to live my all day life with the man I love at my side. This is what I'm fighting for. Hope that was not too boring and you understand me.
Sabine
New Poster
New Poster

Postby resumeconfidence » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:09 pm

This is an old post I realize, but for anyone reading it later to see if there are resources for living and working in Florida, I will suggest the job board Employ Florida (google it, this board will not allow me to post or reference websites!)

I'd also suggest you use a salary info website to educate yourself on what to expect vs. what your job title pays in your current region; living in the sunny south is GREAT, and some of our cost of living is less than up north, but, so are our pay ranges. It shocks some people used to the pay rates elsewhere, so it's an important consideration.

Hope this helps someone!

Shannon
Shannon
Resume Writer/Interview Skills Coach
Treehouse Lover/Yogini/International Cultural Explorer
(and the list goes on . . . right, Scanners?)
http://www.resumeconfidence.com
Let the beauty you love be what you do.” ~ Rumi
resumeconfidence
New Poster
New Poster

Return to Wishes and Obstacles