W: 16-yearold wants to improve English O: does not Know anyb

Tell us your wish, tell us your obstacle, and we'll try to come up with some useful suggestions to help you get into action toward your dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

W: 16-yearold wants to improve English O: does not Know anyb

Postby dimples » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:37 am

Hi
I am located in Germany and my nephew asked me for support:
He is 16 year old, and needs to practise (listen and speak) English.
Idea: go to England, live in a family, may be work there.
Language schools are to expensive
and when there are only german students they might talk too much german instead of English.

Obstacle:
my personal contacts in England ar over 70 and dont take students.

is here anybody who knows anybody or an institution where he could apply?
ideally in christmasholidays.

thanks
dimples
dimples
New Poster
New Poster

Re: W: 16-yearold wants to improve English O: does not Know

Postby pattyn » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:58 am

I don't know anyone in the UK he can visit, but how about joining Google+ and finding Google Hangouts on topics that interest him, if he could stand to practice American English?
- Patty Newbold
Director, Sher Success Teams
Marriage Education Author/Speaker - assumelove.com - enjoybeingmarried.com
pattyn
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Sabine » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:02 am

Hey
I know someone who lives near London. Maybe I can ask them to do a favor.
Where exactly do you live? Because I’m from Germany as well. I would also recommend you, to have a look in the internet. You can find there people doing language exchanges. That means, a native English speaker lives in Germany and wants to improve his German and your nephew wants to improve his English. So there is the possibility that they can meet once a week or similar and they have a conversation in the language they want to learn. Do you know what I mean ? So try to google those people. There are also possibilities to have letter friends .
Sabine
Sabine
New Poster
New Poster

Postby jens » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:32 am

Hi,

just read your post to my wife - and her answer was "I know a lady in England (Ramsgate) who teaches English to foreign students - maybe she can help!"If you're interested, let me know, and I'll send you her contact data.

Jens
jens
New User
New User

Postby Tatjana-Marie » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:46 am

Dear dimples,
until your friend finds a way to go to the UK he could at least improve his passive English skills by watching DVDs with an English audio track and English subtitles.
I know it has helped me a lot.

Best wishes,
Tatjana
“The best way to have a good idea is to have lots of ideas." Linus Pauling, the only person to win two Nobel prizes (chemistry and peace) that were not shared with another recipient
Tatjana-Marie
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby dimples » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:22 am

Hi thanks for your tipps - I will forward them
Jens, I will contact you offline

i live near Stuttgart- my nephew near Karlsruhe

I gave the DVD-tipp yesterday - they like ist, watching series wicht ar not yet out in German.

I will be offline now - will these threads stay online?
dimples
dimples
New Poster
New Poster

Postby tatiana » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:51 am

Hey dimples,

here is another idea for your nephew:

a very common method to learn a foreign language is to find yourself a tandem partner. In your case a person whose mother tongue is english and who wants to learn German. Then you write emails, have conversations via skype etc.

More information you can find via Ruhr Uni Bochum. I cannot send links here, but if you search for etandem in google it appears right at the top.

Or your nephew could just go to a university next to where he lives. There you can often find advertisements of people who search a Tandem partner. He could advertise there as well. At universities there are often exchange students who will be happy to find a German tandem partner...
tatiana
New User
New User

Postby RubyDragonfly » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:16 pm

Hello!
How about becoming a foreign exchange student? Since Junior High School, and up through the university level, there have been foreign exchange students at every school I have ever attended, and I have been to three universities. They stay in people's homes as long as they are foreign exchange students, and attend regular classes. No better way to get better at any language than to have to use it and be exposed to it daily!
RubyDragonfly
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Cotes du Rhone » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:28 pm

There must be manifold ways to get this relatively straightforward goal accomplished:
- Maybe there are some relatively local English-speaking societies, clubs, or even expatriate bars he can go to (without drinking, of course) where he can practice English with the regulars
- Can find an English speaking Skype pen pal and do a language exchange: He teaches them German, they teach him English
- Pay an online tutor to speak with him in English (could be expensive, though)
- Start his own English speaking club in his hometown that caters to foreign English speakers who want to learn German and wouldn't mind speaking in English in exchange
- Ship off to an English speaking country for some form of cultural exchange, volunteering, work, or study
Good luck!
Cotes du Rhone
New Poster
New Poster

Postby mango » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:54 pm

I'm sure I read somewhere about people offering to speak English to non-native speakers (for a price, of course) via Skype chat.

I thought I saw it on the Boards here somewhere. Maybe you could do a search? It was someone suggesting a job idea to someone else, if I remember correctly, but I don't remember the name of the company.

Good luck!
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby heater » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:01 am

This is a great dream.

Learning speaking to some degree does require a partner and hats off to the idea of doing a language exchange. Listening is different; it does NOT require a partner so I will offer how to become advanced in *listening at a very low price, and then *that is also a way of leveraging improved speaking skills.

Listen to two hours of video lectures on TED, PBS or Frontline each day. Listen to each lecture several times if they are challenging and if they are moderately challenging (but not totally impossible) that will help him more. If a particular video lecture is totally too hard, drop that one and move to another one without beating yourself up.

It is useful and powerful, if he knows vocabulary and reading at the intermediate level, to LEVERAGE that knowledge to advance his listening. How? Click the button on the video that says "subtitles" or "cc" or "transcript" (they all have that). There are over 200 hours of video lectures. Click stop when needed.
After watching with subtitles, THEN listen **without them. Your mind will tell you what is being said without the subtitles. Then listen again (with or without CC).

When materials are almost too challenging, this is overcome by listening *several times, multiple times, and the words known provide the context through which to learn new words, but the main goals is listening capacity.

THEN: For each video, write down and memorize 2 sentences and COPY (speak) what the speaker says Exactly down to each syllable and intonation (think like a ventriloquist, that is, focus on the sound and not the spelling). Play the portion of the video ten times and say the given sentences 20 times.

This self instruction has the potentially to be very very powerful and very very much more interesting than some standard text materials.

If his ability is not at that the level needed to find benefit in the subtitles of these (sometimes challenging) video lectures, use *language *software for several several months to develop vocabulary and reading. Language software, even of very comprehensive forms, can be very affordable relative to the cost of classes.
heater
New Poster
New Poster

Return to Wishes and Obstacles