W : build my own ressource bank O : don't want to use a com

Tell us your wish, tell us your obstacle, and we'll try to come up with some useful suggestions to help you get into action toward your dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

W : build my own ressource bank O : don't want to use a com

Postby frederic_murray » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:01 am

W : build my own ressource bank O : don't want to use a computer!

Hello all, hello Barbara!

WISH : I need a ressource bank for my new job. I'm now a Success Team Leader (yeh!) and I'm starting individual "dream coaching". I'm curious, I love to read magazines, books and take notes. I meet new people each week. So, I need a ressource bank for all this stuff. I don't want to go crazy, I need to get this out on paper or something... ;-)

BUT (OBSTACLE), I don't want to use a computer (or any iPad, any iPhone, etc.) WHY ? Because I use computers so much right now (for mail, for text, for music, for etc...). I won't change my mind (I know, computers is perfect for data bank...) but I want another medium for my ressource bank.

I want to be able to touch my ressource bank, to manipulate it with my hands. I want colors, I want texture, I want any idea that will bring some fun and mouvement. Don't have to be portable.

Thanks for help!
Frédéric M.
frederic_murray
New Poster
New Poster

Re: W : build my own ressource bank O : don't want to use a

Postby nordlicht » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:41 am

Hello Frederic,
I am not sure whether I got the term "ressource bank" correctly - sometimes it is hard to speak in a foreign tongue ...
But if I have got you right, why don't you use file cards / index cards / record cards? This was the way to order data in times before data banks were introduced.
And you can use cards with different colours, put them in boxes with different labels, re-order them when needed, add further notes, etc.
nordlicht
New Poster
New Poster

Postby bridget » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:32 am

You could also try different color post it notes. Then you can move them onto whiteboards or paper if you want to group some together.

Another option is to get a journal. Write one idea per page. Put a header at the top of each page. Easy to thumb through and they are all in one place.
bridget
New Poster
New Poster

Postby pattyn » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:40 am

If you use cards, you can use color codes to organize them, a bit of color on the top of the card in a particular position, with each position a different bit of data, like the type of source (conversation/online/newspaper/magazine), the type of dream (places/jobs/hobbies/achievements), etc.

You can also use hole punches and a skewer. If something matches a characteristic, you use a small round hole, and if not, a shape that's open at the top of the card. When you stick the skewer into the right spot, all the cards that don't apply fall away.
- Patty Newbold
Director, Sher Success Teams
Marriage Education Author/Speaker - assumelove.com - enjoybeingmarried.com
pattyn
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby heater » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:07 am

Have you gone to office depot to peruse options? If the "hands on" factor makes a difference to you,then seeing and touching the materials in the store might give you an insight green light. Also, go at a slow time and ask multiple staff this question. Some who work their might think of themselves as organizational geeks - that may be their strength.

If you end up being forced to your mind, consider scanning the hard copy to computer - if you like the writing process but not the typing process of data entry.
heater
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:12 pm

I wish I'd seen this post a year ago. If you still want suggestions, how about a bulletin board? You could use it along with post-its, index cards, journals and anything else you like.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Wishes and Obstacles