W: Housesittings in Paris. O: Need contacts

Tell us your wish, tell us your obstacle, and we'll try to come up with some useful suggestions to help you get into action toward your dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

W: Housesittings in Paris. O: Need contacts

Postby Alexia » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:39 am

i have been a housesitter for more than 40 years in various European countries. I am thoroughly experienced, reliable, and in excellent health.

My great wish now is to find a person in the Paris area with a fairly substantial property who has to travel a great deal, and is worried about intrusion and squatters. My idea is that such a person could have me on a sort of retainer basis. I would follow his/her trip dates, and make myself available off and on for at least half of every year. I would send frequent emails to the owner about what's going on in his/her absence, and would provide plenty of cossetting on his/her exhausted return.

I have no desire to live in or near Paris all-year, and in any case have other "permanent" housesitting arrangements. But different, varying periods of the year would certainly be possible.

My idea would also include using the room allocated to me as an atelier (workroom) for my craft activities. I am engaged in many areas of fabric craft work, and have openings to sell my products through various markets in the UK.

I know Paris well -- it has always been a special love of mine -- and I have one regular housesitting there every November, when I take advantage of the opportunity to attend the wonderful Creation et Savoir Faire Expo. But my friend there cannot offer me more than this one month of housesitting, so I am looking for somebody with more frequent and longer absences, and more space in his/her property.

If anybody has any ideas about this situation, I would much appreciate their input. I should add that I do not advertise, and do not deal with housesitting agencies as I found them bureaucratic and intrusive. I have always found it much more congenial and reliable to work via friends and personal contacts. In this particular situation, which is not routine housesitting, I feel it would be essential to deal with the right contact who would know the kind of client I am looking for.

I do not charge for my housesittings and always pay my own travel expenses.
Alexia
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: W: Housesittings in Paris. O: Need contacts

Postby dmcgarry327 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:45 am

check out the Caretaker's Gazette - they list housesitting property/management opportunities around the world.
dmcgarry327
New User
New User

Postby mango » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:15 pm

A second shout out for the Caretaker Gazette (this is the 3rd time that I've posted about it in less than 30 minutes).

http://www.caretaker.org

It's a subscription website ($29.95 per year for an online subscription, but they have other options, as well).
I think they publish every two months. You also get online updates as people post opportunities between regular publications.

You can place an ad for 'Situation Wanted,' too. There is an extra fee involved in that.

Good luck!
'Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.
We guess. We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark.'

-- Agnes de Mille
mango
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Alexia » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:23 pm

dmcgarry327 and Mango --

Thank you so much for your responses. I did subscribe to the Caretaker Gazette some time ago, but gave it up because it became too full of domestic work, and there were no housesitting opportunities that attracted me. Also most of the positions listed were in the US, and I simply wasn't up for managing a ranch with thousands of acres !!!

But obviously these things change over time, and I'll study the website now and maybe subscribe again.

Many thanks for the idea.

Alexia.
Alexia
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby dvschuetz » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:03 am

There is also www[dot]mindmyhouse[dot]com
Dietmar
Success team leader in Germany
Business Consultant & Trainer (organization, structure, time and resource management)
dvschuetz
New Poster
New Poster

Postby resumeconfidence » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:59 pm

I know this is an old post, but for anyone reading it later for the resources, I highly recommend the house/petsitting website housecarers ( you'll have to google it, this board won't let me share the site) It lists short, medium, and long term house & pet sitting opportunities around the world. I like the interactive map the site has, pinning where there are owners in need of sitters that have adds up, and a code for about how long those ads have been up. Sitters and those seeking sitters can post pictures, there are multiple search options, too. It's not perfect, but I like it & have had the best luck with this site over a few others I tried. They have a Facebook page, too. Membership is (I think) $50/year.

have found several pet sitting opportunities in different states that allowed me to travel, have my own space while visiting family, and explore a new area. I have a few articles on my website about housesitting, including how to write a compelling profile page to interest home/pet owners in using your services. I am a professional resume writer, and really,it's not all that different to writing a good cover letter!

The Professional Hobo is a woman that travels year-round often using housesits to help fund her visits abroad & save money. Google her for her website, and search for her Facebook page. She is a plethora of great related info!

Hope this helps someone that comes upon it :)

Shannon
To find the above mentioned articles, search for Resume Confidence website (listed in my signature below) There is a page noted for Housesitting articles on my website.
Shannon
Resume Writer/Interview Skills Coach
Treehouse Lover/Yogini/International Cultural Explorer
(and the list goes on . . . right, Scanners?)
http://www.resumeconfidence.com
Let the beauty you love be what you do.” ~ Rumi
resumeconfidence
New Poster
New Poster

Return to Wishes and Obstacles