W:Write How to Craft eBooks O:Liabilities?

Tell us your wish, tell us your obstacle, and we'll try to come up with some useful suggestions to help you get into action toward your dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

W:Write How to Craft eBooks O:Liabilities?

Postby Wogglebug » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:38 pm

Hi folks. It's been a long while since I last posted here. I hope someone can give me some advice on this subject.

I want to write some how to crafting ebooks but I'm not sure about some of my tips. These are things that I've made for myself for years and I want to pass on my knowledge.

For instance, I have one tip that involves melting plastic pegs to complete the project. These pegs were not originally intended to be melted. I would explain that they must be melted in a well ventaled area, etc. Still I worry, do you think that an author would be liable if someone who read my instructions say, burned down the house, got a headache from the plastic fumes?

Any thoughts?

Thanks so much,
Darlene
Wogs
Wogglebug
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: W:Write How to Craft eBooks O:Liabilities?

Postby Tituba » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:48 pm

Anyone can sue anyone over anything. Talk to a lawyer about whatever language you should have in your books and what liability insurance to carry
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Wogglebug » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:17 am

Thanks for responding. :)
Wogs
Wogglebug
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby kashtanka » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:22 am

Darlene, do you have enough craft idea without using the ones that could cause harm?
kashtanka
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:50 pm

I would avoid any tips like melting plastic that could possibly harm someone. But I'd love to read your craft book when you get it finished.

p.s. I'd probably be up for melting plastic out in my back yard, but I wouldn't tell someone else to do it.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby pattyn » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:59 am

Hi, Darlene! You can purchase author's liability insurance through the Authors Guild or ASJA (or directly from insurance companies). The type you need for such tips is called Errors & Omissions (E&O).

If you know the type of plastic in the pegs, you might also try a request on HARO for comments from qualified experts on the precautions needed when melting this type of plastic. You would then provide their advice and credit them, maybe even link to them, a win-win for both of you.
- Patty Newbold
Director, Sher Success Teams
Marriage Education Author/Speaker - assumelove.com - enjoybeingmarried.com
pattyn
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Wogglebug » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:15 pm

Thanks Patty, Elaine and Tanka for your great responses to my question.

I'm going to check out HARO for melting precautions. I'm very glad to know about the Author's Liability Insurance as well.

I do have other tips for my craft ebooks. I hate to have to leave out the melting ones. They are so cool. But better safe than sorry. I'll check with HARO before I decide.

It's been slow going but I'll let you know when they are finished.
Wogs
Wogglebug
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Return to Wishes and Obstacles