W: grant for computer. O: catch 22

Tell us your wish, tell us your obstacle, and we'll try to come up with some useful suggestions to help you get into action toward your dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

W: grant for computer. O: catch 22

Postby Wolf Goddess » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:55 pm

I have a custom built computer for graphics, illustration, and video. It is getting old and I will need to replace it with a better, faster, more powerful one. In order to do my best work I will also need a high end printer, a graphics tablet and a new scanner.

Having these things will allow me to provide print on demand items, scan large work for licensing firms and catalogs and create illustrations directly on my computer via the graphics tablet. Oh yes; I need two new monitors. I had two but one has died and I am squinting at the one left.

Here is the catch 22. I need money for the new system but I need the system to make money.

I have been making and selling art but not nearly enough to buy such a system. I want to write a grant but I have no idea whom to contact.

I am thinking of sites like Chipin and Fundme, but I would prefer to find a non-profit. I used to get help from Vocational Rehabilitation but they are no good any more.

Does anyone know any non-profit disability or other organizations that would help me get a new system? I am even willing to build the computer myself if I could get funded for the components.
You will never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.
Visit Zebracorn Art Journeys at www.zebracorn.com
Wolf Goddess
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: W: grant for computer. O: catch 22

Postby SquarePeg » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:40 pm

I've never done this before. But from http://www.philanthropist.org/ ...

philanthropist.org offers a convenient online fundraising micro-site, branded to your name and allowing you to raise money for your favorite cause or non-profit.

I found this site in 2009 because.... Well, this explains the background.

Also, there may be a foundation established for your specific disability. If, for example, you have lupus, you could check out the website http://www.lupus.org/. Other foundations may be more general yet possibly still helpful.

Hopefully you have a document that lists the items that you wish to acquire with prices, what they'd be used for and a bio on the recipient (you).
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: W: grant for computer. O: catch 22

Postby heater » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:42 am

To find Grants and support related to applying for grants, try this: foundation center in washington DC

That is what they do.

Can you run your needs on two *nearly optimal computers, dividing the load between them? I know it sounds bulky, but if you can do that, then you could use systems that are donated by someone who does what you do, but who does not want to divide their load between two systems, and who had a system that is *slightly out of date. If the fact that that sounds too "backward or makeshift" is a block or distraction, tell yourself you are doing it for data security (one of the systems would be not linked to the world and thus totally secure).

Finally, consider exploring the assumption of what system you need. If you haven't thought of it, remember system loads vary for different operating systems. And consider using the shareware or software from 3 years ago.
heater
New Poster
New Poster

Return to Wishes and Obstacles