W: Career Counseling, O: assumptions & information

Tell us your wish, tell us your obstacle, and we'll try to come up with some useful suggestions to help you get into action toward your dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

W: Career Counseling, O: assumptions & information

Postby heater » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:28 pm

W: Receive vibrant career counseling
o: Financial assumptions and information

Can I get career counseling for $50 per hour?

I contacted countless providers and the ones who replied often charge $100 per hour. I have a "block" about spending that much because it just seems extreme, and it is hard to know what I would receive, and although I don't want them to promise outcomes, I would like to know the usual benefits and would like my doubts reassured.
Part of the problem is I have massive debt, and although the loans are restructured, I feel very bad spending money when the benefits are as yet unknown.

Is there an independent study process that accomplishes most of what professional career counseling provides? Are those lessons online but also involving face to face contact (eg video chat)?
heater
New Poster
New Poster

Re: W: Career Counseling, O: assumptions & information

Postby SquarePeg » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:02 pm

I came across a free personality test that's designed to give you your Holland code. I'm on my tablet now, so it's hard for me to find and paste links here. But I wrote about this personality test in November on my blog.

"What Color Is Your Parachute?" has a chapter devoted to helping folks figure out their ideal career.

If you attended college, you're entitled to get help from the career services department of that school. And state colleges typically provide services to residents even if they did not attend that school.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:55 pm

"Yes" to everything Square Peg suggested.
I would try to get as much info as I could for free before I hired a career counselor.

Can you take a course from a community college that would amount to career counseling?

"What Color is Your Parachute?" is excellent. Barbara Sher's books are also useful in discovering what kind of work will be rewarding for you.

Linkedin seems to be the on-line place for job hunting.

I received REALLY good advice -it amounted to career counseling - from the unemployment office. (Now known as the Employment Development Department.) If they still offer it, this was a course on writing resumes, doing well at interviews, where to look for jobs, and more. Also we networked with each other, and helped each other find jobs. FREE. We also got a motivational speech with practical info once a week.

Also, consider that whatever you do, it will be a learning experience. You may get a job and find out that you hate working with people, or you hate carrying a beeper. Or that the best part of your job is helping people. Life is a series of learning experiences.

Finally, you didn't say how much education you have, and if you have worked for several years, or are just starting out in the work force. That makes a difference concerning hiring a career counselor. If you plan to make $100,000 per year, it makes a lot of sense to invest a few thousand on career counseling.( I don't know how many $100 sessions the counseling would entail.) If your expectations are more modest, it doesn't make sense. I'm with you - $100 per hour makes me gasp.

You could also look through the posts on "Wishes and Obstacles" and also "Idea Party" and see if there's someone who wants to be a career counselor, and would be willing to help you for a reduced rate. Or maybe someone will see your post and offer you reduced rate counseling. One hint. Check the date of the post. Someone who posted in 2007 is probably not interested anymore.

At first, when I had to job hunt, I was terrified. Later, when I had some experience in job hunting, I enjoyed the challenge, and I looked forward to interviews.

Oh, one thing I learned from the Unemployment Department counselor: When you had job, you spent 40 hrs. per week on the job. When you're unemployed, you spend 40 hrs. per week looking for a job. That includes researching job markets, reading books, learning about resumes and interviews, etc. etc. And today, the Internet is so important for you, and I wouldn't even know where to begin with that.

I wish you well.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:15 pm

"... $100 per hour [for a career counselor] makes me gasp."

$100 per hour makes me think I should be a career counselor! ;)

Anyway, here's a link to the post I had referred to in my first response:
http://square--peg.blogspot.com/2013/11 ... areer.html
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby heater » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:29 am

Thanks for all these suggestions. I am looking into all of them. I like the idea of doing free things first. By the way, I have already taken the signature strengths survey, and I have done a personal inventory of moments of work in my past when I felt passion about what I did. I am starting to get clarity on my strengths and passions.

To answer the question above, I am a mid earning 35k and I have potential for much more because I hold a Ph.D. In theory, the right counseling might pay off. My big blocks are the internal challenge (stress) of making decisions amid uncertainty, getting real information about the jobs I am interested in (and persuading myself that awkward phone networking or other awkward networking is plausible for me).
heater
New Poster
New Poster

Postby tui » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:46 pm

Without getting all woo-woo about this I suggest you invest time in your day to doing some form of 'meditation' or calming process.

When you are in a high stress situation the thought of doing 'just one more thing' (such as networking) is enough to send you toward strong cups of coffee and a snuggly blanket over the ears. It is nearly impossible to make a sensible decision; only the familiar and ho hum is at all safe.

The mind calming thing is NOT 'instant'. It's the same as physical fitnessing - takes time to kick in and become apparent. The sooner you start - the sooner the relief.

For more 'instant' relief - leave the house and go for a meandering walk which will shift your mind out of the routines box. Look at new to you places - even on line - and start to imagine. To play in your mind. To stop putting job labels on your skills that limit you to all that competition from other most excellent conformists.

And think about how your ways, education and experiences can be of material service to others. Which others??? Because when you know that, you can start looking for coaching people who have useful links to the places you want to work, and to the people who hire and who pay money.

With that information, and with a calmer mind, you can look for a coach who knows your preferred 'industry' and who can help you groom yourself to fit. For $100+ an hour I'd be expecting guarantees or money back, I think. And testimonials you can check out so you see if you're a match with their client base/methodology. It's bit different from buying an ice-cream, after all. This is about your livelihood, happiness and earning power. Your coach has to be up to the task. Do your due diligence.

Meantime, you might want to check out some of, say, Colin Hiles's videos on YouTube. He gives useful and clear explanations. He's English and a coach.
tui
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Wishes and Obstacles