Work in Theatre in London.

Tell us your wish, tell us your obstacle, and we'll try to come up with some useful suggestions to help you get into action toward your dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Work in Theatre in London.

Postby shanethedane » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:23 pm

Hi. I have a wish and seem to have hit obstacles.
I am an American and have dual citizenship and can work in the UK, but I would like to investigate the life there before I jump. Can one make a decent wage and if Americans can get work. I lived there in college and recall that it is difficult to break in. What I need are helpful contacts or pen pals. Can anyone help? Thanks!
shanethedane
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Work in Theatre in London.

Postby Unity1 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:55 am

I can put a request on my FB page for info if you are interested, Some of the people I no longer keep in touch with but are still on the friends list are in that line of work and I think in London.

Apart from that have you considered Bristol?
Unity1
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby shanethedane » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:31 pm

Yes, that would be helpful, thank you. Facebook is great for that.

We are looking for density of theatres, so we have considered Stratford-Upon-Avon and London only. Stratford is only 2 hours by train from London, and they seems to like Americans working there.
shanethedane
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby emspace » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:47 pm

shanethedane wrote:We are looking for density of theatres, so we have considered Stratford-Upon-Avon and London only.

I take if you’re looking for straight theatre and not musical theatre? I’ve a friend who’s been in two West End musical productions, one as the lead, and now he tours with Mike + The Mechanics, so I can try to ask him (no guarantees he’ll answer in a timely fashion or be able to give really constructive information).

What’s your experience or background in the States?
emspace
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby shanethedane » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:02 am

I am a director and playwright. Plays, some musicals, classical work. I work for the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. Thanks for asking your friend !
shanethedane
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Return to Wishes and Obstacles