W Finish "The Molly Chronicles" O need photographs

Tell us your wish, tell us your obstacle, and we'll try to come up with some useful suggestions to help you get into action toward your dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

W Finish "The Molly Chronicles" O need photographs

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:45 pm

My alter ego is a Border Collie named Mollie, and she's writing her memoirs. (No, I don't plan to seek psychiatric help.) The book is a lot funnier with illustrations. I have pictures of Molly, but I need more illustrations. Are any of the photographers who post here interested in at least checking out this idea? I started out just doing it for the fun of it, but I think I'll try to get it at least self-published if not professionally published (hysterical laughter goes here.) Since this is probably just a goofy idea and will not produce any money, I don't want to pay for the photographs. If money is really an issue, we could e-mail about it, but I can't afford to pay what a professional photographer should get. I will happily share any royalties I receive (Insert more hysterical laughter.) And of course I'll give credit for the work.

I'll post the draft of the book on my blog. http://www.temporaryaddress-jody.blogspot.com The circle under my name on the right side of this post will get you there. As I tend to goof around shamelessly, the text is not completed, but close to done. Having written this, I feel very motivated to get the rest done.

And I'll bump the posts about Molly's jury duty for you to check out. It's under "Deep and Shallow" discussions. (I misspelled something, and my first post got wrongly identified as spam.) (Oh, the shame of it all!)

That's about it. Thanks for reading this.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: W Finish "The Molly Chronicles" O need photographs

Postby SquarePeg » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:54 pm

Hi Elaine:

It's wonderful that you're moving along with this project. And it's nice that you give the photographers here a chance to have their (our) work featured. My cat photo portfolio is much larger than my dog portfolio. I'll PM you a link to where you can view my pet photography (if you like), and if you like any of it, you're welcome to use it.

You'll find a much larger selection of images on Google Images. And if they're public domain or licensed under Creative Commons, you'll be able to use them with the usual attribution comments.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:53 pm

Thanks.

I found out that Microsoft clip art is copyrighted, and you can use it for a lot of purposes, but not for what I'm trying to do. I'll see what the rules are with Google.

I haven't checked your link, yet, but I'm on my way there. By the way, I love that picture you gave me of Shadow.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:10 am

Thank you!
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:08 pm

I didn't find your pm.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:15 pm

SquarePeg wrote:Hi Elaine:

It's wonderful that you're moving along with this project. And it's nice that you give the photographers here a chance to have their (our) work featured. My cat photo portfolio is much larger than my dog portfolio. I'll PM you a link to where you can view my pet photography (if you like), and if you like any of it, you're welcome to use it.

You'll find a much larger selection of images on Google Images. And if they're public domain or licensed under Creative Commons, you'll be able to use them with the usual attribution comments.

I have to admit, Square Peg, I didn't go to Creative Commons right away. I was afraid I'd run into the same copyright problems.
I LOVE Creative Commons. It has the copyright info right up front, and in language I can understand. Thanks.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:59 pm

In Creative Commons, they say to include the disclaimer along with author, copyright info, and electronic link. Is this the disclaimer they're talking about?

CREATIVE COMMONS CORPORATION IS NOT A LAW FIRM AND DOES NOT PROVIDE LEGAL SERVICES. DISTRIBUTION OF THIS LICENSE DOES NOT CREATE AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. CREATIVE COMMONS PROVIDES THIS INFORMATION ON AN "AS-IS" BASIS. CREATIVE COMMONS MAKES NO WARRANTIES REGARDING THE INFORMATION PROVIDED, AND DISCLAIMS LIABILITY FOR DAMAGES RESULTING FROM ITS USE.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:22 pm

that certainly is a disclaimer, but I don't know for sure. I only release work under the license. I don't use other works.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:03 am

First of all, thanks for the tip about Creative Commons. I'm finding great pictures - both clip art and photos.
I found the directions for making the attributes. The disclaimer is a hyperlink on the license, and I found out how to hyperlink all the info that I'm supposed to include. So I think I know how to attribute.

For the actual picture, I've been doing "copy" and "paste". Will that work, or will the pictures come out pixilated (excuse spelling) or somehow wrong? There's a way to download, but I'm computer challenged and the downloads seem to disappear in my computer. I suspect I have to figure out the download process (Eric is coming over tonight and could help me.), but my question is - is "copy and paste" good enough???

I hope I'm not asking too many questions.

P.S. I'm posting the baseball story on my blog one page at a time. If you want to read the whole thing, including Shadow's thrill-packed adventures, click on the photo on the right side of my blog to read the whole thing at once.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:49 am

I would not copy and paste the images. During the copy process, the image data in screen memory is put onto the clipboard. On a Windows computer, the format becomes BMP (bit map). Just as you surmised, it is pixelated to the resolution of the screen no matter what the original format and resolution is.

Publishers usually give detailed advice about how images should be submitted. But if you're self-publishing or creating an eBook, you might have to rely on tutorials or advice from someone who's done it successfully.

BTW, I've been enjoying the story on your blog! Well done!
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:52 am

Oh, regarding downloads, your browser would be putting the files into the Downloads folder, most likely. If you press Ctrl-J in Firefox, Chrome or Internet Explorer, you'll open that folder. Then if you sort the files by Date Modified so that the most recent are at the top, you'll see what you just downloaded.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:03 am

Hi,
Thanks, Square Peg.
I'm glad you enjoyed reading about Shadow and Molly and their adventures playing baseball.
Thanks for all the support, both moral support and computer support. For some reason, some of my downloads show up when I click "downloads" and all of them show up when I click "control J". So I should be back in business with your tip about "control J".

I am loving "Creative Commons". I've found some great photos and clip art which I am allowed to use. So thanks also for that tip.

For everyone who has a wish to be a photographer, I suggest you check out "Creative Commons". You're already a photographer if you take photographs. If you want people to see your photos consider posting them on "Creative Commons" and "Flickr". It won't skyrocket your career from "just starting" to "surpassing Ansel Adams," but it's a first step. And I think small steps are the way to achieve our dreams.

Barbara Sher says that we need each other to achieve our wishes. In my case it's perfectly true. There are so many other examples of people who have helped me both on the net and in person. But just using this experience as an example. Without the tips about "Creative Commons" and "control J" I'd have been stopped. Also without permission to write about Shadow, and without being allowed to use the photos... gosh, now I feel like I'm accepting an Oscar.

I won't thank Leticia the Rottweiler.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:39 pm

Shadow is wagging his tail extra strong. :)
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Wishes and Obstacles