need help to sticking to 1 thing.read first to understand.

Tell us your wish, tell us your obstacle, and we'll try to come up with some useful suggestions to help you get into action toward your dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

need help to sticking to 1 thing.read first to understand.

Postby Genaldscanner » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:17 am

hey guys im a 17 year old male that resides in london,england.

i have decided that i want to become an entrepreneur. i am going to go to university to do enterprise and entrepreneurial management.
however, i have some ideas and ventures ON RIGHT NOW, the problem is i cant find the motivation to do them,.
e.g. i have a great idea on writing a non fiction book on a particular subject. however i have never written a book before and i cant seem to know how to get started or to keep at it.
i want to make these ideas of mine a reality. is the cyclical sybil scanner in me stopping me from doing this? or is it just because im not doing something right.

i want to find that motivation and know how to get something started and finish it. i have alot of unfinished projects and i want to be able to complete them. - and not over a period of time. i want to do it as quickly as possible.
is this possible for scanners? to get down to work?
Genaldscanner
New Poster
New Poster

Re: need help to sticking to 1 thing.read first to understan

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:18 pm

HI,

I have two suggestions for writing. The first is get the software Dragon, Naturally Speaking. You can dictate the book to the computer with this software, which is usually faster than writing. It's not perfect - the software doesn't always recognize your voice and it makes mistakes, but it is fast.

The second suggestion is NaNoWriMo. Look it up on the computer for details. The November challenge is to write 50,000 words in the month of November. There is also a challenge in April and June (or maybe July) which is the same thing, but you can choose how many words you plan to complete. The challenge is only to write a draft. It just has to be 50,000 words (or whatever for the other two months) The writing doesn't have to be good. The challenge is just that it forces you to write and write and write. Believe me - that's a lot. Of course, if you can also edit the project, so much the better.

In my experience, writing takes a lot of time. It sounds like, for you, completing something is important. Would you feel that you had met your goal if you ended up with a 50,000 word draft? Or a 30,000 word draft? Believe me, that's an accomplishment.

I don't know what your other projects are. If you choose to do something else, it's useful to have a friend or friends to hold you accountable to finishing your project. They can be friends that you meet with. Or they can be on-line friends. I look for support on this website under Success Stories - X steps per day. I also have writers' groups that I belong to that keep me moving along.

I think, whatever you decide, this experience will be valuable to you. Being an entrepenure means setting and completing goals, and motivating yourself. The hard part is to get the project out of your head, where everything is perfect, and accomplish it in the real world with all the challenges that entails. Speaking of challenges, be prepared for surprises. Things don't usually go exactly as planned. That's okay. You just have to cope with what comes up.

I'm wishing you success from the United States, the other side of the puddle.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:02 pm

One more suggestion:

Write a flow chart or something like that listing the steps you need to take to accomplish your goal. Barbara Sher likes to write the flow chart backwards, starting from the end and finishing with the first thing you need to do. Having the steps written down gives you a picture of what you actually need to do. For a book you could write an outline. (I don't like outlines, but other people do. Besides, I don't write non-fiction.)

By the way, when I say "you" I mean "me". This is what works for me. If I don't see what I need to do, I tend to jump from one thing to another and end up playing solitaire on the computer for two hours.

Anyway, I don't know you, except by this post. If anything I say is useful, take it. If it's not useful, don't worry about it.

I hope you do well.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:21 am

Welcome!

I agree with Elaine's suggestions. I would also suggest joining a Writer's Group. When you belong to a group of writers that meets regularly, you'll be motivated to report on your progress with your book. You might also get tips and advice on the business side of writing.

At 17 I had given up sports and lapidary in order to pursue music (composition & bass guitar) , which I then dropped a few years later in order to pursue a career in electronics. That was a difficult decision -- I felt sick and was in a period of mourning, actually. But I kept on writing all through that time.

What are your other interests?
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Genaldscanner » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:18 am

My interests.. I have had a lot in the past, but I tend not to bring them back into my life too much unless its something like basketball, being an entrepreneur, learning. Psychology, : attracting women. Self development.

I'm just playing with this idea that maybe I'm not a scanner? And I just haven't found my passion to stick to? I reaally am in denial now about being a scanner because I want to stick to something willingly like proffessional athletes,.... Any help
Genaldscanner
New Poster
New Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:32 pm

Well, you don't have to be a scanner to benefit from Barbara's advice. Nor is it necessary to determine what type of scanner you are, if it turns out that you are a scanner. It will help to understand what your interests are. Maybe you'll be able to combine several of your interests in a career, or have a career that will leave enough time for other interests.

Being 17 has its challenges. For most of your life, you've been told what to do and how to act. Up until now your life has been this amorphous blob held into place with a rigid mold. But the mold is falling away, and it's up to you to define your shape. That's how I perceive the transition into adulthood.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby skannie » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:37 pm

You said you've read Refuse to Choose, which is a very enlightening book about scanners. But I think a better one for helping you decide which projects and goals to work on, and how to succeed with them, is Barbara's first book, Wishcraft. It was written long before you were born, Genald, so some of it might seem a little old fashioned. The internet isn't mentioned at all for instance. But the general principles still hold true, and it's still helping many people.

It wasn't written specifically for Scanners, so you might have to adapt some of the exercises. For instance, Barbara has said that instead of the ideal day exercise, scanners can do a week or a month or a year. Or just imagine that the normal rules of time and space don't apply. I had problems choosing a colour in the "pick a colour" exercise. But when I decided it was ok to do it several times with a different colour each time, it was fine.

And since you're at school and don't have much money to spare, I'll give you the link to the free downloadable pdf version
http://wishcraft.com/
www.beyond-mountains.com
www.scannertribe.com
Scanner Tribe Group on Facebook
Scanner Tribe group on LinkedIn
Twitter - @scannertribe
skannie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby tui » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:36 pm

Because you can't hear me: I am not taking the mickey.

Write a very short book and finish it. In a weekend. Maybe in eight hours max.

Give it to the people you thought would like it. Ask the ones you trust to give you feed back. Don't take it personally. Assess what they say and see if it could work.

Write your second, slightly longer book.

Find a route to flick it off for 99p. See what happens. (When you've made that life-changing first pound it can do wonders for your focus, intensity and motivation... :twisted: )

Reread your first book. Say 'Blecch! What was I thinking?!' Edit it and improve it. Flick it off for 99p and see what happens.

Look at each of your dormant projects.

What's stopping you at this point?

You've lost the plot? Or never had it?

Need more skill, knowledge, and practice?

It's past its use by date or the need has gone? (Kill those, once you've taken the good bits down in notes that you can 're-discover' when you're old and grey at thirty and go 'Hell yeah! Do it!'

It was simply a 'good idea' that has no attachment to people who can love it, share it, use it to death and hound you until you make a better one?

Now you know - do it, dump it, or call in the help you need to haul it to the finish line.

If you are a Big Picture person then start also building the ability to do details. Right down to the finesse.
You say you play basketball. Think about the whole game. The strategies (the what). Then the tactics (the how). Then the hours of drill and personal skill building so you are fit to be a team member and a solo player. Then the skills you polish relentlessly. Your signature, and what your team can count on from you - in a good way.

Take that scope of thinking across to being an entrepreneur.

BTW - you can learn the formal stuff. It might not help you use your mind, though. To reframe a situation. To ensure everything is up for consideration - no ring fences. To actively and consciously PLAY with ideas and notions.
Then find a way to get it out, in either an alpha or beta phase, hideous bits and all, to your favourite guinea pigs - and fix it from there.

Suggest you do your own product/service development and launches BEFORE you head to 'varsity. You'll get better value from your tuition fees because you'll know from experience aanndd - you can immediately/profitably put the training and the expertise on offer to use. Those student loans will vanish pretty quickly.

Recognise that you need rapid feedback and reward to build enthusiasm greater than doubt. Passion follows toil and doubt. Know that. (You probably loved the Idea of basketball and got enough reward to see you through the cold mornings and scathing coaching to where the games were effort not overwhelm. After which your interest increased. Check with yourself on this.)

At some point soon - stop flitting. Settle to one thing for, say, an hour. Become calm in yourself. Become immersed and peaceful. What you're doing is what you chose. You can finish in an hour. And you'll build the habit of concentration. You'll be glad you did.
tui
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Genaldscanner » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:12 am

Tui, your answer was amazing, can you tell me more about this 'gaining more interest' like the on where you described the basketbll scenario - this is very interesting, and seems very true can you expand on it some more please? Thanks!
Genaldscanner
New Poster
New Poster

Postby tui » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:26 pm

Apologies if this is not the route you had in mind.

Let's stick with basketball for a bit.

It's about finding out about yourself, your strengths, the role you do the easiest and that is satisfying for you. There's nowhere on the court you'd rather be. And you're always asking yourself 'How do I do this better? How do I neutralise (legally) that player's threat to our success? How do I work with what the other team is throwing at us, make it work in our favour from the role I play in this team? How do I help our scorers through doing what I do in the team and on the court better or differently?'

If you're the scorer - what do you want more of from your team mates? Specifically? What drills, signals, breaks would set it up for you - and keep the opposition at bay?

Did you: get more involved as you read? Were you creating memory scenarios in mind, then applying the questions? Then going further?

Start to be more aware and thinking outside the familiar stuff? Feel your creativity and 'urge to action' kick in? Ask more activity-starting questions?

It's partly what is meant by 'taking it to a whole new level'.

Notice when you're in or near your flow state. (If you're a gamer - that deep intensity when the outside world and normal time depart leaving you with the effortless effort plus the knotty challenges. Then a parent arrives muttering 'It's three in the morning! Get to bed!!')

Aside and related. When you first start EXPECT to be awkward and ignorant. That's how it is. Keep looking for the very tiny, or slightly larger, indications that it's worth getting through the stupids. This could be Very Satisfying when I can do it well. It's worth doing more of, even now. I can stay on my Angel side and succeed, compete, crack the problems, meet the challenges. (Dark side is cheating , putting down better players, blowing the game. You know.)

If that didn't flip the switch - your mission is to communicate and tell me more precisely what you had in mind. :D

PS these skills and competences are part of the tool kit for a Scanner - so you can quickly settle in to the Next Thing, enjoy it enormously, collect the goodies, and move along whenever you recognise that the fun has ceased. The Next Thing is NOT the toolkit.
tui
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Wishes and Obstacles