The world of conferences and trade shows

Tell us your wish, tell us your obstacle, and we'll try to come up with some useful suggestions to help you get into action toward your dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

The world of conferences and trade shows

Postby BarbaraSher » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:12 pm

Want to know more about something. Don't know how to find the informaton:

Does anyone know about that world. I've been to a bunch of them, spoken at a bunch of them for that matter, but as a business, I know nothing about it. Conference centers must have their own offices, aside from the associations and trades that come to their center. How does one find out more about that?
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: The world of conferences and trade shows

Postby SquarePeg » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:18 pm

I once had to help someone who was setting up a conference, so I had to inquire about a certain conference venue. I just had to contact one. I would imagine you could get some information just by contacting some conference hall venues. I don't mean to be condescending by replying with such a simple answer, but I didn't see any replies....
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:57 pm

Not at all condescending, SquarePeg. Thanks for that. I'm thinking there must be -- like the encyclopedia of associations -- some kind of encyclopedia of kinds of businesses. If not, there should be. That could make interesting reading!
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:02 pm

Searching The Google - not what I'm looking for yet, but some interesting stuff. For instance, this link:

http://www.referenceforbusiness.com/small/

has articles about different relevant subjects, such as:

Encyclopedia of Small Business

Encyclopedia of Small Business - A-Bo
Contains articles like Absenteeism, Accelerated Cost Recovery System (ACRS), Accounting, Accounting Methods, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Activity-Based Costing, Advertising Agencies, Advertising Budget, Advertising, Evaluation of Results, etc…

Encyclopedia of Small Business - Bo-Co
Contains articles like Bookkeeping, Boundaryless, Brainstorming, Brand Equity, Brands and Brand Names, Break-Even Analysis, Budget Deficit, Budget Surplus, Budgets and Budgeting, Business Appraisers, etc…

Encyclopedia of Small Business - Co-Di
Contains articles like Competitive Bids, Comprehensive Environmental Response Cleanup and Liability Act (CERCLA), Computer Applications, Computer Crimes, Computer-Aided Design (CAD) and Computer-Aided Manufacturing (CAM), Computers and Computer Systems, Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA), Construction, Constructive Discharge, Consultants, etc…

Encyclopedia of Small Business - Di-Eq
Contains articles like Discounted Cash Flow, Discretionary Income, Distribution Channels, Distributorships and Dealerships, Diversification, Dividends, Dot-Coms, Double Taxation, Downloading Issues, Drug Testing, etc…

and so on...

Read more: http://www.referenceforbusiness.com/sma ... z4GyPDeuZO
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:21 pm

I expect to get lost here for a while:

http://www.allconferences.com

(in case you're interested :-) )

Incidentally, one of my reasons for snooping around this world is to find options for jobs and careers for people who assume that all full-time work is behind a desk, in a cubicle, 9 to 5 etc.

It's hard to keep from thinking that's all that's available, but there are worlds out there that are completely different, and there are all sorts of skills that are needed, providing jobs, even careers - even interesting careers -- in lots of places. There is, for example, the world of film-making. I know slightly more about it for various reasons, but the most interesting part of that world for purposes of career searching (or career counseling) are the many different and unexpected kinds of jobs you'll find on any set or location, for people with many different skills.

In Trade Shows I'm looking for jobs for people who are helpful, outgoing, people-oriented - like unconventional sales jobs, public speaking, etc. I know of someone who was hired to walk around and make sure that no one felt lost or like an outsider. Since associations that have conferences always want more members, this informal 'social director' could make a huge difference in the experience of someone new who had come to the conference out of curiosity.

So someone outgoing, friendly, capable who was returning to the work force after years of running a household with a family and who dreaded (and probably couldn't get hired for) a minimum wage job behind a counter or behind a desk, might really shine and do very well as the informal social director/floor manager of a conference.

(In case you wonder what the devil I'm doing this search for in the first place.) :-)
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Lyndon » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:38 am

The Gale Directory of Associations would lead to conferences, though I think there would be a tempting amount of new discoveries along the way.

"Pop quiz. Are these organizations real or made up?
•1904 World’s Fair Association
•Medieval Academy of America
•National Clogging Organization
•National Space Club
•American Association of Independent Music (A2IM)"

http://blog.gale.com/built-by-associati ... ng-forces/

My library has online copies of that and enough interesting courses that I could disappear and not do anything related to my job description for years. Though I'd expect people would eventually notice.
Lyndon
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:02 am

It's the business of Hospitality. I guess if you own a hotel with lots of rooms to fill, what better way is there to fill them than to host an event that will draw out-of-town attendees?
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Wishes and Obstacles