Wish to connect with people - Severe Hearing Loss

Tell us your wish, tell us your obstacle, and we'll try to come up with some useful suggestions to help you get into action toward your dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: Wish to connect with people - Severe Hearing Loss

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:59 am

Hi, Tui,

We have a Senior Net. I'm not sure if it's called that in California. I had a friend who was bed bound, and his main social interaction was over the phone. I think it was called Senior Net, but I'm not sure. They had all kinds of classes and, I'll bet sign was one of them.
And learning sign is another way to exercise your brain by learning a new language.

Inspire, I don't know if this is your thing or not. But a possibility for sure.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:18 am

tui wrote:I know it can be very tiring when a health condition starts acting up and you have to draw on reserves of energy that are barely there. You can do it, though, and it's usually worth the effort - when you look back later :roll: Finding the alternatives, even making your own - not to 'pass as normal' but to move into new ways of being and doing. It can be an interesting adventure, as I've found.

Thank you so much, Tui. I appreciate your support and your message of hope and adventure.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:25 am

The limitation of sign language is you're limited to only speaking to people who speak it. It's like having English as your first language and Spanish as your second. It's nice to know Spanish, but you can only speak it to other people who speak Spanish.

This is why my focus is on things like lipreading.

I've started a lip reading class online at lipreading.org. I've been doing it for several days and recommend it to others looking for online lip reading classes. You can sign up for daily email alerts. That makes it nice because I won't forget to do it. I get an email every day, click on the link and do my next assignment.

Here are some suggestions for anyone who wants to try it. When it is multiple choice, use a hand mirror and pronounce every word in the mirror. Then guess what the answer is. Saying the choices out loud and watching how my mouth forms them in the mirror has increased my accuracy.

Elaine, I got the mirror idea from you. Thanks so much for that idea. I think it really makes a difference.

Other suggestions for getting the most out of this program -- you can repeat all the assignments as many times as you want. I've been repeating them several times each day, to help sink the learning into my brain. If you just guess answers and move on, although it may be fun, you won't be learning as fast.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:43 pm

Inspire, I'm glad you're learning to lip read. I hope you get a lot out of the class. And it's exercise for your brain as well. So win-win. :D

Oh, I just saw your post in the exercising your brain topic. Great minds think alike. :D

And I'm glad you're posting about it. This will help a lot of other people.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:26 pm

Hi. There is someone in my area collecting signatures at Change.org to get a lip reading class at my local community college, Diablo Valley College, in Pleasant Hill, CA. I went to Change.org but I can't figure out how to find this particular petition. If anyone can help me with this, let me know. I'm doing an online class but it would be great to have an actual, real live class with other people to practice with at the local college.
Last edited by inspiresuccess on Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:52 pm

I scrolled down the home page of Change.org. There are a group of topics written inside of bubbles. I clicked on "health." A search box appeared, and I typed "lip reading class Diablo Valley College" and found the petition.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:51 am

Elaine Glimme wrote:I scrolled down the home page of Change.org. There are a group of topics written inside of bubbles. I clicked on "health." A search box appeared, and I typed "lip reading class Diablo Valley College" and found the petition.

Thanks, Elaine. I appreciate that. I hope other people will sign the petition as well. Hearing loss is one of the highest health concern of seniors. With baby boomers becoming seniors, there are a huge number of people who will benefit from a lip reading class. Community colleges are supposed to offer classes appropriate for their community. My local college doesn't think lip reading is relevant to the community.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Fotografa » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:19 pm

I am happy you started the lip reading class, Inspire Success. I think you have a point when talking about the sign language. For you it's better lip reading, and you can use it with everybody.
Congratulations!
Fotografa
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:53 pm

Here's the actual link for the petition for the lip reading class if you want to sign. https://www.change.org/search?q=lip%20r ... %20College
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:58 pm

Elaine, HELP! I did what you suggested and found the petition on Change.org but when I click on my own link that I just posted below, I don't see where you actually SIGN the petition. Where? I want people to be able to sign it but if I can't figure it out, how will others be able to do so? Jeez, I hate being such a dunce about internet stuff. It drives me nuts!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:03 pm

Hi Fotografa,

Thanks for your support. I thought maybe you'd disappeared from the Boards. I'm glad to see you're still with us. Be sure and keep us posted on your adventures here in the U.S.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:25 am

Here's a more direct link to that petition:
https://www.change.org/p/diablo-valley- ... ey-college

The previous link was to invoke a search engine.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:43 am

There's a picture of a pair of lips and a lot of letters. If you click on the picture, you'll get to the place where you sign the petition.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:09 pm

SquarePeg wrote:Here's a more direct link to that petition:
https://www.change.org/p/diablo-valley- ... ey-college

The previous link was to invoke a search engine.

Thanks, SquarePeg. I clicked on it but I still don't see where to actually sign the petition. On the right side it says ways to "share the petition" but isn't there someplace where someone can click on and say "add me to the petiton"?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:38 pm

There's a picture with a pair of lips and a lot of letters. If you click on the picture, that takes you to the petition, and you can sign it there. You have to log on and make a password if you don't have one, but that's how you sign the petition.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Wishes and Obstacles