Wish to connect with people - Severe Hearing Loss

Tell us your wish, tell us your obstacle, and we'll try to come up with some useful suggestions to help you get into action toward your dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Re: Wish to connect with people - Severe Hearing Loss

Postby SquarePeg » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:17 am

inspiresuccess wrote:Learned a new term:

Auditory Fatigue

I've been trying to explain this to people and no one understands. The stress of ATTEMPTING TO HEAR is exhausting.

I used to talk to a friend on the phone. I no longer do, because I was so stressed and exhausted afterwards from straining to hear, I had to go to bed for an hour or two to recover. I finally told her I can't talk on the phone anymore.
I think I used to experience this at my first job. We had a lot of foreigners who spoke with accents and they also conversed among themselves in their native tongue. I'm someone who can't seem to tune out conversation (even in a different language) so I'd get mentally exhausted from it. But the longer I worked there, the less exhausted I became because I got used to their accents (and I even learned a few words in their language). So it seems reasonable that "exercise" of the auditory system can improve comprehension.

Another thing I learned several years ago is that auditory comprehension may be improved by stimulating the vestibular system. Speech therapists know about this and usually incorporate bouncers, rockers, swings, sit-n-spins, etc in their therapy sessions.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby reginamirus » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:32 am

I can't even begin to imagine how frustrating this would be. :( And I certainly understand the frustration of having limited funds to get what you need (I'm pretty much in the same boat right now, too). I sincerely hope that you find the help that you need to stay connected with your surroundings.

Please keep us posted, ok? I'm sure that this will be something I will have to deal with too, either in my new employment, or on a personal level with other family or myself. Big hugs to you, my dear. You can do this.
reginamirus
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:39 am

reginamirus wrote:I can't even begin to imagine how frustrating this would be. :( And I certainly understand the frustration of having limited funds to get what you need (I'm pretty much in the same boat right now, too). I sincerely hope that you find the help that you need to stay connected with your surroundings. Please keep us posted, ok? I'm sure that this will be something I will have to deal with too, either in my new employment, or on a personal level with other family or myself. Big hugs to you, my dear. You can do this.

Thank you so much for your kind words and thoughts. I really appreciate it.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:05 am

Re hearing loss, family members stopped by one at a time to visit with my mother in law, and it was perfect. They didn't tire her out, and one on one she could understand everything.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:30 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:Re hearing loss, family members stopped by one at a time to visit with my mother in law, and it was perfect. They didn't tire her out, and one on one she could understand everything.

That's nice. I think one of my problems is I don't have family and friends. So, I don't see the same people often enough for them to start understanding what's happening with me and how they can help.

Due to transportation issues, I didn't get to do the iPhone class on how to add CC to an iPhone. I'm not giving up. I can pay $15 per hour at the senior center for someone to give me their undivided attention as to how to use the phone in general and then add the CC app and learn how to apply it.

I don't think the lip reading class is going to be a go. There aren't enough people interested and time is running out. Therefore, I'm going to be more committed about doing the lip reading online. I thought about rewarding myself with chocolate every time I do it, but I think that would ruin the weight loss I've achieved! I'll have to think of some other way to motivate myself.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:04 am

Good wishes for the lip reading. I really believe it will be worth the trouble. The big secret to success is a lot of determination to know what's going on. And from your posts I think you have that determination. By the way, feel free to rant anytime you want.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:43 pm

In our area, high school students volunteer at the local library to help folks with computers, e-readers and smart phones. I wonder if the library near you offers something similar.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:12 pm

SquarePeg wrote:In our area, high school students volunteer at the local library to help folks with computers, e-readers and smart phones. I wonder if the library near you offers something similar.

They do, but it's kind of a drop in, short term thing. That's why I decide to "invest" the $15.00 so I can schedule an uninterrupted one hour totally focused on me. Thanks for suggesting it, though. I always appreciate your informative contributions, Square Peg. :)
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:08 pm

I spend Christmas alone and have only one party I attend every year. I love it and look forward to it. I get to see people I only get to see once a year. I've finally made the decision not to go. It's going to make me more sad than happy because of the hearing loss. It's a huge blow for me to miss this party.

I was excited about the brain/hearing program and was going to order it but I won't. The website is flaky, very little information, it costs $79 with almost no explanation of what you get. The 800 number no one answers. They have only one review. It looks like a scam to me and there are no other places that offer exactly what I need -- places that are noisy, people talking too fast, and people talking over each other. All three things I need most.

Lip reading is of very little value to me. I've researched it and it basically works IF...you're in a well-lit place, there is no background noise, and you're facing one person. The only time I see people are in situations where there are multiple people, not well-lit, where people are too far away from me to lip read.

I've read articles that link hearing loss, brain activity and memory loss. My next plan is to see if I can improve brain activity and memory. Maybe the overall increase in brain/memory will help in the hearing loss area. I went on Amazon and set up a specific list for books like that. I haven't sorted through them yet to see if there are any I can find in the library. I tried researching in the library but I couldn't come up with anything. When that happens, I go to Amazon, get specific titles and then back to the library to get those titles.

What an F*****G lot of work for what? I don't see any progress yet. Still just loss, loss, loss... And no party. I have no family and this party is my one Christmas celebration. F, F, F...

One thing I did read is that aerobic exercise is linked to memory and brain activity. I've been trying to find a way to motivate myself to exercise and if I keep telling myself it might help my brain and therefore my hearing, I bet I'll get my butt in gear again.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:37 pm

Elaine and SquarePeg,

As always, thank you for your support.

As to other people reading this thread PLEASE HELP! Don't just read and go away. I NEED HELP WITH THIS! Please share comments, suggestions, support, sympathy, make funny faces, anything...
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:06 am

Still sending hugs and prayers.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby reginamirus » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:27 pm

Inspire, I sure wish I knew what could help you. You've been so helpful and kind to me since I've been here. :) I'm betting I might possibly find some other resources for you at work? My supervisor is pretty well versed in handling clients who've suddenly (or even gradually) have become hearing impaired. I'll see what she might have to say. In the meantime, I'll go back here and re-read the thread to make sure I have all your details correct.

I'm awful sorry to hear about your decision not to attend the party. I understand your reasoning, but also hate to see you keeping yourself in isolation. I know how debilitating that is, especially around a holiday. Holidays just suck, sometimes. :-/

Let me check into what my boss has to say on Monday. Keep heart, we're here and listening. :)
reginamirus
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:43 pm

Thanks, Regina. That's very kind of you. Let yourself get settled into work before asking about anything for me. What matters most is that you care and you're listening and are supportive. That means a lot.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Fotografa » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:23 pm

Hello InspireSuccess,
i'm sorry to find that you are facing this issue.
It must be very difficult to have to adapt to this if you used to hear normally before.

I'm sure people here had a lot of precious things to say, I just wanted to let you know about my own experience with hearing impaired people. I have taught photography to many youngsters with hearing and speaking disability and they are fabulous! You probably are developing also some compensatory abilities, visual or tactile. And you can use them to connect to people through the visual modality, by painting or making photography for example.
Fotografa
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:29 pm

Thank you,Fotografa, for your thoughtful comments. Any and all support is more than welcome. This is a tough issue for me.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Wishes and Obstacles