Wish to connect with people - Severe Hearing Loss

Tell us your wish, tell us your obstacle, and we'll try to come up with some useful suggestions to help you get into action toward your dream.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: Wish to connect with people - Severe Hearing Loss

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:14 am

More hugs and prayers. I know you're hurting.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:14 pm

Only 30% of speech can be read through speech reading.

I had to cancel the one other "party" I had this year. It's a prayer group that I've stopped going to because of my hearing loss. They were having a get-together that was supposed to be snacks and dessert instead of a sit-down potluck. Now it's been changed to a sit-down lunch, which I cannot do. I tried it recently. With everyone talking at the same time I don't understand anything. I can't lip read at a rectangular table except the person directly in front of me.

It's a relief not to go anywhere. It's so stressful to try and fail to understand. It's quiet at home and I can be alone and not struggle.

I was going to go to the church that has the hearing loop but they changed the time to an earlier time that I can't go to. No church. I'm not up to going to one of the huge churches to try the hearing assistance devices. I'm too exhausted to try anything anymore.

I looked online for the speech reading site and the other site called LACE. I'll check them out when I'm in better shape emotionally. I don't want to impulsively pay for things I can't use.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Fotografa » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:27 am

Hello,
This is quite a struggle for you. I am sorry you go through it.
I have one suggestion, idea that came to me thinking of the hearing disabled people I have as friends:
how about frequenting people with the same kind of problem?

There are communities of hearing and speaking disabled and they are having a lot of fun using their own language, reading lips and making all those signs.
Sign language is learn-able for everybody. I know its difficult if you used to hear just great and you lost it, it's more difficult than for the people who are born like that. Because you have to adapt to a new world, a new way of communicating...and it's a big challenge.

I know for a fact that there are many Associations helping the hearing impaired people, they have churches and trips organised, they have translators and translation courses. You probably could find sign language classes for free, or some person to teach you, through these organised groups.

I got friends with some of these people and learned a bit of their language just for fun. They are people with great hearts and know how to live their lives to the fullest. No inferiority complexes, just communicating the very essence of it. They got good of knowing what is important in life.
A lot of our chit chat and language sophistication is just designed to separate us instead of connect us to other human beings.

So, what I want to say, in short, is: I wish you could enjoy the company of fellow hard-hearing people. THEY ARE GREAT. I wish you could trust me on that and reach out for these people.

PS: I'm sure they organise Christmas parties too. :)
Fotografa
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:52 pm

HI,

My MIL (who is severely hearing impaired) went to a party last night. I don't know if she had a great time or at terrible time - probably a little of both. She won't post anything here - the Internet is a step too far.

I hope she did okay. I haven't heard from that side of the family yet, and I figure no news is good news. I suggested to one of he grand kids that he make sure someone talks directly to her so that she is included.

Inspire, I suspect you're having a tough time right now. I hope you had some good times as well. At the Boards, we're all wishing you well.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:18 am

It went well. :D (mostly)
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:41 am

Does anyone have a webcam? How does it work? Is it expensive?

I'm trying out an online lipreading class. If I have a webcam I can practice with other people online. That would be really fun and useful.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:28 pm

I'm puzzled. Over 2,000 views on this thread and only 3 people responded. Why won't people say anything on these boards? If you're a silent observer, please speak up and take part in the conversation.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:38 pm

Did you once write that you bought an iPhone? If so, I'm pretty sure that you already have a "web cam." The iPhone's front-facing camera and microphone comprise a webcam. (Did I use "comprise" correctly?)

Is the iPhone connected to the Internet through WiFi? Or do you have a "generous" mobile phone plan with lots of data? If so, try to use the web browser on the iPhone to navigate to your online class to see if you can take advantage of the iPhone's "webcam".

If you think you'll be buying a laptop (and you can get a really good one these days for about $200 refurbished), look for one that has the webcam built in.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:43 pm

Incidentally, many of the views on this thread might not be from humans at all. There are computers that indiscriminately connect to pages all over the Internet, trawling for keywords to fill databases of search engines. They're referred to as "robots." It sounds weird and bogus, but I'm serious, as I'm sure Tituba will agree and probably fill in more detail, too.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:28 pm

On the main menu for the boards at the bottom of the page, you'll find registered users, and some of them are robots. Magesticbot, Yahoobot, etc. There are also a number of guests. I never thought of the guests as being robots, but it does make sense.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:41 pm

SquarePeg wrote: If you think you'll be buying a laptop (and you can get a really good one these days for about $200 refurbished), look for one that has the webcam built in.
Thanks for that tip. I do plan on buying a laptop towards the end of the year. I'll definitely make sure it has a built in webcam.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:44 pm

SquarePeg wrote:Incidentally, many of the views on this thread might not be from humans at all. There are computers that indiscriminately connect to pages all over the Internet, trawling for keywords to fill databases of search engines. They're referred to as "robots."
I'm aware of robots because many times when I respond on a website I have to type in the crazy looking letters to prove I'm not a robot. It never occurred to me that the robots would invade us here. I've often wondered why my particular threads seem to draw the highest views. It makes me scared that there is some way that my real email address can be picked up and is being used somehow. Am I being paranoid?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:52 pm

SquarePeg wrote:Did you once write that you bought an iPhone? If so, I'm pretty sure that you already have a "web cam." The iPhone's front-facing camera and microphone comprise a webcam. Is the iPhone connected to the Internet through WiFi? Or do you have a "generous" mobile phone plan with lots of data? If so, try to use the web browser on the iPhone to navigate to your online class to see if you can take advantage of the iPhone's "webcam".

I have an iPhone but haven't learned to use it yet. I can set up WiFi here. I don't know how to, so I haven't done it. I don't remember what my mobile plan is since I haven't used it yet.

I will try using the webcam on the camera. It's so tiny I think it would be hard to use for lipreading. It's important to have a large enough view of a person's lips to be able to read well. But experimenting on the phone first will give me experience using a webcam.

Thanks for all the info.

There are so many things I need help with. I have a new plan. I'm going to post on the bulletin board in my apartment complex "Help Needed", $10 per hour, 3-4 hours per month. Then list all the things I need help learning. iPhone, Kindle, setting up WiFi, connecting the TV cable if I get one, hanging a heavy mirror on the wall, rearranging furniture, various tasks on the computer, figuring out how to use the gizmo I bought to record my cassette tapes onto the computer.

There are a lot of kids in the complex. I'm sure I can find a teenager who is good at all this stuff. It would make a huge difference in my life and would give them some pocket money each month. I'm not well enough to do it right now. But hopefully in the next month if things get better health-wise, I can get some help.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:13 pm

That's a great idea, Inspire. I've certainly learned a lot from young people who touched their first computer when they were three years old. But I've never thought of posting a help wanted sign.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby tui » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:44 am

About using your assorted devices - do you have access to a SeniorNet organisation? If you say what you need you may be able to get a one to one tutor who can take you through your learnings for using them. It shouldn't be too expensive, either.

Also you might like to learn American Sign Language. I am not hearing impaired, and I went to start learning NZSL (which is our third official language. We have a deaf MP in Parliament, too.)

It was huge fun! Big gestures and facial expressions to go with the signs. It is impossible to stay 'closed down' and shy and learn. Our tutor was born hearing but became deaf over her childhood. Her husband was born deaf. Their kids are all hearing and speak both Sign and Standard.

It is not the same as 'ordinary hearing English'. The grammar is a bit different - and it makes sense. If you can watch this short movie you can see the difference in the subtitles. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCkWNTyScEU (No sound...)

You sound that you're a sociable and outgoing person by nature. Your audiologist has probably got contacts you could use to make a different yet still full life.

I know it can be very tiring when a health condition starts acting up and you have to draw on reserves of energy that are barely there. You can do it, though, and it's usually worth the effort - when you look back later :roll: Finding the alternatives, even making your own - not to 'pass as normal' but to move into new ways of being and doing. It can be an interesting adventure, as I've found.
tui
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Wishes and Obstacles