Wish to work and support myself and my baby in the USA

Tell us your wish, tell us your obstacle, and we'll try to come up with some useful suggestions to help you get into action toward your dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Wish to work and support myself and my baby in the USA

Postby Fotografa » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:10 am

Hello,
here comes my first wish for the following months: I wish to work / earn money in the USA. I just arrived in the USA on a fiancée visa and I have to wait about 2 months until I will have a work permit and a green card, (the paperwork processing is taking this time).
In the meantime I don't even know what to start with...

A little about my background: I'm Romanian, lived in Italy in the last 4 years, Photographer/ videographer, currently I'm located in NY and I'm reading "Live the life you love" of Barbara Sher :) .

I would appreciate any input or suggestions you might have.
Fotografa
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Wish to work and support myself and my baby in the USA

Postby Tituba » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:33 am

You might want to take a look at this thread

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6327

Also, you would get a great deal of support by joining Barbara's Club
http://barbarasclub.com/hangingout/
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Fotografa » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:18 pm

Thank you for your advice, Tituba.
Fotografa
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:50 pm

I'm glad you posted your wish.

First of all, what did you do in Italy? And did you love it? Like it? or Put up with it?

Do you want to make a living with photography, or something else?

And what kind of photography and videography did you do? And did you love it, like it, or :bash:

It sounds as if you have two months to look around and make some plans about job hunting before you can actually ask someone to hire you. (Am I correct?) During those two months, I suggest that you consider looking for work as your job, If you were working you would spend 8 hours each day (approximately) at your job. You could spend 8 each day (approximately) writing up a great resume, and researching all the jobs available, and considering which ones are a good match for you. And, if it's photography you want, take pictures.

Also, on the boards, there was at least one thread about looking for work as a photographer. I'll try to find the thread and "bump" it. That means push it up to the top where it's easy to find. It was a great story. She wanted to be a photographic journalist, which is really hard to get and she ended up doing a volunteer job in Botswana working for Photographers without Borders.

I found the thread. Look under "Doing Good in the World."

And Barbara Sher is right, I think. Isolation is a dream killer. So keep in touch with friends - both over the Internet and face to face.

One last comment. I don't know you, except for what you write in your posts. That means, I could be wrong. Take whatever comments work for you and ignore the ones that don't. I'm just a person.

Welcome to the United States. I hope everything works out well for you.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Fotografa » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:14 pm

Thank you Elaine.
Until now, professionally I navigated around photography and film in different forms, from social photography, events, weddings, baptism, to cruise ship photo, travel photography and press. I graduated film and TV image in university, then worked in TV stations and a few film sets.

But I also have an interest in social work, like for example working with disadvantaged people in various programs that would help them. And I am very interested in group dynamics and personal development techniques.

Yes, I enjoy being a photographer but I think I would love more to be involved in some kind of meaningful project that involved film and social issues.

For now probably I should just take a job as soon as possible, something that would be "good enough", just to accommodate here and get used to the American culture and lifestyle.
So your advise to allocate a few hours daily for the job hunt is great, I will follow it. and the thread about the adventurous photographer. Thank you!
Fotografa
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:42 pm

Many years ago I was connected with some people who gave simple cameras to disadvantaged kids and told them to take photos of their lives - their homes, their neighborhoods, family, friends, whatever. The goal wasn't to take quality photos but to document their lives. I wish I could remember the details but the results were apparently powerful and amazing and had a very big effect on the kids who took the photos. Many of them developed an awareness of their worlds and themselves - they had complete freedom so they could choose what to shoot and each kid's work had a signature - as well as the importance of documenting daily life. The organization put together a traveling exhibit too, as I recall.

That was at least 40 years ago. I think it's probably time to do something like that again. Getting donations of inexpensive still cameras shouldn't be too hard, and I think the results would still be amazing. And might make a difference of the kind you seem to care about.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:26 am

Barbara, I remember watching a television program / documentary about a project like that. IIRC, it took place in India. Two of the children traveled with the exhibit and went on to bigger and better things.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Fotografa » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:26 am

Hello Barbara,
Thank you for your reply, I am very happy to have your input, since I appreciate you very much and you are a bit of a role model to me by your attitude and actions.

The method you are talking about is called Photo Voice and I used it in some of the international projects i did in Romania with youngsters with hearing and speaking disabilities. The results were great and we also had itinerary exhibition, and the project was selected best practice by the financing authority.
These are 2 blogs of projects: http://thisismyvoice-photovoice.blogspot.com
http://homovidens2.blogspot.com

I would love to do something like that again, with different kind of people/kids as beneficiaries. Thanks for your idea!!!!
Fotografa
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Fotografa » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:31 am

SquarePeg wrote:Barbara, I remember watching a television program / documentary about a project like that. IIRC, it took place in India. Two of the children traveled with the exhibit and went on to bigger and better things.

Are you referring to the movie "Born into brothels" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born_into_Brothels?
Fotografa
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:23 am

Fotografa wrote:Hello Barbara,
Thank you for your reply, I am very happy to have your input, since I appreciate you very much and you are a bit of a role model to me by your attitude and actions.

The method you are talking about is called Photo Voice and I used it in some of the international projects i did in Romania with youngsters with hearing and speaking disabilities. The results were great and we also had itinerary exhibition, and the project was selected best practice by the financing authority.
These are 2 blogs of projects: http://thisismyvoice-photovoice.blogspot.com
http://homovidens2.blogspot.com

I would love to do something like that again, with different kind of people/kids as beneficiaries. Thanks for your idea!!!!

That's excellent, Fotografa! You actually have a successful example in your resume! This puts you in an unusually good position to promote doing it again. If you can figure out how to phrase it (Worded more precisely that this but as an example: "Wish: I'd like to do a socially constructive project in which I give cameras to at-risk kids and have them photoraph their lives," and then "Obstacle: " (And you'll have to tell us what your obstacles are. Take it to the Idea Party I just opened on Facebook and also to the Idea Party on barbarasclub, and the one on FB for English speaking coaches, and maybe, if you can make it short enough, we can go to Twitter with it.

I'd also start another Wish-Obstacle discussion right here on the bulletin board with a different title - that is, leaving out 'support myself and my baby' but just looking for ways to get work doing this kind of project (If it's something you like, of course!) :-)

Use this thread to tie it all together and tell us what's happening with the ideas you're getting.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:25 am

SquarePeg wrote:Barbara, I remember watching a television program / documentary about a project like that. IIRC, it took place in India. Two of the children traveled with the exhibit and went on to bigger and better things.

Great refernce, SquarePeg. If I were writing a proposal, I'd include that!
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:24 pm

Fotografa wrote:

Are you referring to the movie "Born into brothels" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born_into_Brothels?
YES! Thank you!
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:28 pm

I think it's great to get the Wish / Obstacle thread going. But I inferred that Fotografa was looking for a "good enough" job to start right away.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Fotografa » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:56 pm

Thank you Barbara. Thank you Square Peg.

Yes, Square Peg, you are right, I am looking for some income stream asap. But that wouldn't stop me from starting the ball rolling on a Photovoice project, if that is possible.

So I'm going to open a new thread about the Photo project. I'm going to take advantage of your invitation Barbara, and take up more space here :).
Fotografa
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:57 am

I looked up the two links that showed your work with the children. Amazing! It will be a great part of your resume for your "good-enough" job.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Wishes and Obstacles