Wish to help disadvantaged children through photography

Tell us your wish, tell us your obstacle, and we'll try to come up with some useful suggestions to help you get into action toward your dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Wish to help disadvantaged children through photography

Postby Fotografa » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:01 pm

Hello, I'm very grateful for all the input and advise I received here and I am opening a new topic about a wish that became more specific in the last few days.

Wish:
Teach photography to disadvantaged children/ teenagers, helping them to become more aware and empower them through the means of photographic expression.

Obstacles:
1. I don't know any disadvantaged children/ teenagers or organizations.
2. I need money to finance such project.

Any ideas? :)
Fotografa
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Wish to help disadvantaged children through photography

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:23 pm

You could volunteer for some program near your home that helps disadvantaged kids. There are plenty of organizations to choose from. Start by looking on the net. Then go to hospitals and schools. Be honest with the people you talk to. You'll have time to donate now, but not as much when you get a paying job. A note about asking to volunteer at schools. They will be reluctant because there are a lot of unsavory characters out there, and they have to protect their kids. Show them the link to your work, and tell them you'd like to eventually do something like that in the US.

As for money, crowdfunding is one way. Before you ask for money, get a clear idea of what you want to do, how you will do it, and how much money you'll need.

Those are my thoughts. Good luck.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:08 pm

Regarding obstacle number 2, you might contact the Social Services department of the city or town that you live in. Or contact your school district and find out the contact info for the art department and social worker who work with the age group you'd most like to involve in your project.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:21 pm

For example, supposing you lived in Flushing (Queens) NY, if you enter "flushing ny school district" into Google search, you quickly find the website for Flushing High School. Under the Staff menu, you can find the Staff Directory and get a listing of every teacher. Searching this for "art" you can find Digital Arts and Fine Art (perhaps more -- just doing this quickly). There's also Lilly Penzo, School Social Worker. It would be a good idea (now that I think of it) also to CC at least one member of the administration. In this case the AP (assistant principal) Pupil Personnel Services would be my choice. Send the email (or whatever) to these people.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Fotografa » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:42 pm

Thank you Square Peg! I will contact all of them and see what happens.
I have to go the social services next week for my own paperwork anyway, I will definitely ask them.
Appreciate your precise indications :).
Fotografa
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby Fotografa » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:41 pm

Elaine Glimme wrote:You could volunteer for some program near your home that helps disadvantaged kids. There are plenty of organizations to choose from. Start by looking on the net. Then go to hospitals and schools. Be honest with the people you talk to. You'll have time to donate now, but not as much when you get a paying job. A note about asking to volunteer at schools. They will be reluctant because there are a lot of unsavory characters out there, and they have to protect their kids. Show them the link to your work, and tell them you'd like to eventually do something like that in the US.

As for money, crowdfunding is one way. Before you ask for money, get a clear idea of what you want to do, how you will do it, and how much money you'll need.

Those are my thoughts. Good luck.

Thanks Elaine!
Fotografa
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:33 pm

Hi Fotografa,

This is an exciting idea! Congratulations on starting your own thread.

I have two questions. Once I have the answers I'll give you my ideas.

1. What specifically do you mean by "disadvantaged"?

2. What age children would you most like to work with?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Fotografa » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:44 pm

inspiresuccess wrote:Hi Fotografa,

This is an exciting idea! Congratulations on starting your own thread.

I have two questions. Once I have the answers I'll give you my ideas.

1. What specifically do you mean by "disadvantaged"?

2. What age children would you most like to work with?

Hello Inspiresuccess! And Happy new year! We know each other via this board for 2 years now :)).

Disadvantaged Kids includes socially challenged groups like for example abandoned kids, from family with economical problems, or drug adicts, or abusive parents, or emigrants, of with some physical disability. Basically kids with problems, that don't have a very easy and smooth life.
Age group, ideally for me to work with, between 7- 18.
Fotografa
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:01 pm

Fotografa wrote: We know each other via this board for 2 years now :)).

Has it really been that long??? :D

Happy New Year to you, too.

I think the best and easiest way to get started is to go to the local library. Talk to the librarian and explain what you would like to do. I've found librarians to be amazingly helpful people. They will often do research for you while you wait. They might have suggestions about books or magazines that list charities. Start there first. I have had such good luck with their help with a wide variety of projects over the years.

I'm also doing some googling for you and will post what I've found later.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Fotografa » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:46 pm

inspiresuccess wrote:
Fotografa wrote: We know each other via this board for 2 years now :)).

Has it really been that long??? :D

No it hasn't been that long :) I'm here for a month or so but, I started in 2016 and now it's 2017...:)

Thanks so much for your help, asking me to define the terms helped me clarify for in my head the hole thing.
Fotografa
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:51 pm

I wouldn't suggest you go to schools first. I've worked with schools for years and they like structure, proposals, time frames, etc.-- lots of things you don't have yet.

I'm rereading WishCraft and here's what Barbara says.

"...thing you need to know is the questions that are likely to be asked of you, so you can be ready with the answers." pg.202
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Wwt » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:54 pm

My question is: what do you mean by 'teaching photography'? In the old days, this meant working in a darkroom, but now a lot of kids have cell phones with cameras and they may not even have a need for printed photos - it's all digital and shared online. This can really change the way you go about it.
Wwt
New User
New User

Return to Wishes and Obstacles