Wish: start a career in my 60's

Tell us your wish, tell us your obstacle, and we'll try to come up with some useful suggestions to help you get into action toward your dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Wish: start a career in my 60's

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:46 am

Wish: I'm 62 and I want to start a career from scratch in my 60's.

Obstacle: I need inspiration from other women ( not men) who started successful careers in their 60's. (not 40's, not 50's but 60 and over)

All I find are "Isn't it amazing that she started her career "in her 40's". As far as starting from scratch over 60 the only example is Grandma Moses and I'm really sick of hearing about Grandma Moses! There are also stories about women, who after many years of working in a field, didn't achieve their success until their 60's.

I'm not Grandma Moses, I didn't start in my 40's, I haven't work in a field for 20 years before hitting success in my 60's.

Aren't there any inspirational stories about women who STARTED in THEIR 60'S?

I'm not looking for articles about how to start a business after retirement, etc.

I WANT FEMALE ROLE MODELS. I want it to be about successful CAREERS, not just enjoying "hobbies" after retirement.
Last edited by inspiresuccess on Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Wish: start a career in my 60's

Postby pattyn » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:36 am

Perhaps she's too old for you, but my mother took up farming at 86, after a multi-year recovery from a near fatal illness. She bought herself 8.5 acres, and this is her 4th year of farming. Before this, she was a Civil Air Patrol volunteer during the War, a bilingual secretary, a housewife, a door-to-door cosmetics peddler, a dressmaker, a retail clerk, a systems analyst, an insurance salesperson, and a copywriter, so it's a fairly radical departure.

What career do you have in mind? Is the obstacle finding employers, finding customers, or making a name for yourself?
- Patty Newbold
Director, Sher Success Teams
Marriage Education Author/Speaker - assumelove.com - enjoybeingmarried.com
pattyn
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby pattyn » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:01 am

Obviously, fame is not the only hallmark of a successful career change, but Louisa May Alcott began writing the Little House on the Prairie series at age 64, after a lifetime of farming.
- Patty Newbold
pattyn
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:52 am

Thanks for responding, Pattlyn. I love your examples!

I've wanted a successful career all my life. I have a major health issue that has knocked me down over and over throughout my life. I'm sorting through old papers and I keep discovering careers that I got a good (short) start in, but then it fell apart when I became ill, then the financial situation of not working during illness happened, then it took me a long time to get back on my feet again working at simple, easy jobs like clerical work to pay the bills and pay off debt. Then starting over again in a new field.

What I want most is something that I can do for 20 years. Or 10 years. Or hell, even 5 years. Something that lasts longer than 6 months or a year.

My areas of interest (and short-term success) are in the creative fields -- art, music, writing, design, etc. I've also done short-term career starts in other areas as well. For a masters thesis in psychology, I created a journal writing process using writing and drawing in response to music listening. My plan was to continue my research and develop the process through teaching in adult ed classes and then write a self-help book based on the process. I thought I'd finally found a great way to blend my interest in psych/self-help books (writing) with art and music. Then I got sick and haven't been able to follow through on it.

Now I have serious hearing loss, which prevents me from teaching. And no, I don't want to teach the process to people who speak sign language. That's a very tiny percent of the population.

Here is what I wanted:

To touch a large group of people. That's important to me. I don't want to do "local" stuff. I wanted to publish so I could reach a wide audience. Publish means not just writing. I had my knitwear designs sold in magazines, books, and leaflets. Successful for about 9 months before illness hit me, and then terminal illness hit my husband. Never got back to it.

To fully develop the gifts I was born with -- art, music, writing -- and share them with the country and maybe the world. I also have a small, but strong practical business side of me that helps me get my stuff out there like the designs.

To have a long-term career in some area -- to create a large body of work ( not just a couple of things and then stop) -- to be able to "follow through" and "build" something.

What Barbara Sher did is a good example of what I wanted to do -- body of work (not just a short one-off), long term, touching lots of people. But B. Sher is also one of those inspirational women who got started in her 40's if I'm remembering correctly.

I want a successful 20-year career from my 60's to my 80's.

I get inspired seeing other people do what I want to do. I really need to see women (not just one) who started careers in their 60's and had a long go of it.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:33 am

This is just an inspiration story - not something I see you doing. My mother in law and her sister started a used book store when they were in their late 70's. They barely made enough money to pay rent, but they enjoyed themselves for about seven years and provided a much-needed service to a poor community that didn't have a book store. They also had all the books they could read for free.

I could see you working as a coach, however. So many of your posts here are encouragement to other people.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:36 am

Patty, your mother sounds amazing.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:38 am

Art and writing are careers you can step into right away. Getting customers/publishers - that's the rub there.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby pattyn » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:21 pm

Thanks, Elaine.
- Patty Newbold
pattyn
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:50 pm

Thanks, Elaine, for your story. You're right -- inspirational stories are what I need right now. I'm not well enough to think about what I actually want to do.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:00 pm

Inspire, do you like to be in front of a group - a speaker or a performer? I know you used to teach.

Would you enjoy being a Barbara Sher coach?

How much "alone time" do you like? And how much "people-time" do you like?
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:03 pm

Also, how much time do you see yourself spending on your career? You're retired, so you can make this as big or as little as you like.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Will the Internet play a big part in your new career? Would you like to make videos for Youtube, or TEDx, or something like that?

p.s. I'm sure you know this, but I'm just throwing out any idea that pops into my mind.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:01 pm

Hi Elaine,

Feel free to keep throwing stuff out. I may not be able to answer right now because I'm still in a big depression. But whatever you throw at me I will think about.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:04 pm

Someone once said there was a thread about women starting over in their 60's etc, but I never found it. If anyone knows how to search for something like that here on the Boards I'd be grateful.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:47 pm

No pressure, Inspire.

Posting here and dreaming is a fine start.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Wishes and Obstacles