Wish: start a career in my 60's

Tell us your wish, tell us your obstacle, and we'll try to come up with some useful suggestions to help you get into action toward your dream.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Re: Wish: start a career in my 60's

Postby MarieH1955 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:22 pm

Hi - I've just joined the boards.  I was drawn to this thread because because I'm  64 and freaking out that I am "old" and still haven't really lived the life I want.

I have been getting to know a woman named Letty.  She is 67 years old and  recently decided that she wanted to travel.  Her obstacles were limited money, lack of a proper vehicle to camp out of and she has mobility problems due to very severe rheumatoid arthritis. 

Well, the vehicle problem sorted itself out when someone ran into her parked car and totaled it.  This enabled her to buy a little van called a Transit Connect. Her grandchildren helped her get it all set up so she can comfortably travel in it.  She arranges so that even with her mobility issues, she will be able to access everything  she needs.  She is about to embark on a 2500 mile trip.

Some might look at Letty and think she couldn't do it - what with her knarled hands, her need for a cane and her slow gait but she isn't letting it be an excuse any more for not getting out there and exploring! 

If allowed, I will share her YouTube channel.  I think women will find her inspiring.  I know I do.
MarieH1955
New User
New User

Postby inspiresuccess » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:38 am

Thanks, Marie, for this story! I think it's okay to share the You Tube link. I could be wrong about that. If I am, the moderators will remove it. Thanks, again, for sharing.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby MarieH1955 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:13 am

Thanks - the name of her channel is Living Life With Letty Tippins.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCbVmXYs-EvEGnhaaxxRJLnQ
MarieH1955
New User
New User

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:15 pm

Hi, Marie,

I checked out the video, and i found it inspiring. I'm 73 and you should hear me complain about everything hurting. I wouldn't dare go camping - I don't sleep well in an expensive bed. But clearly Letty doesn't let a little thing like that stop her.

By the way, I have a friend who took a road trip by herself. (Not completely by herself, she took her cat with her.) She's somewhere in her sixties or seventies.

So yay, us old guys.

Welcome to the Boards, Marie.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby MarieH1955 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:14 pm

Thank you, Elaine. Yes, Letty sure put things in perspective for me and my pains. My wish is to travel. My obstacle is my husband. I will be posting own W/O in a new thread.
MarieH1955
New User
New User

Postby BarbaraSher » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:57 pm

pattyn wrote:Obviously, fame is not the only hallmark of a successful career change, but Louisa May Alcott began writing the Little House on the Prairie series at age 64, after a lifetime of farming.

I think that was Laura Ingalls Wilder.

I was a big Alcott fan as a kid: Little Women, etc.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:11 pm

This isn't anything you mentioned as an interest, but for a long time I've been wishing someone would love to market the coaches I've trained, and get gigs for the speakers who have written good books in my WriteSpeak program. Marketing is the pitfall for every one of them. They just hate it and usually won't do it. So many of them can see they're talented, and given a chance to work they get great successes, but no one knows they exist.

I know how much marketing I've done my entire professional career, just to get audiences and publishers and the world at large to know I exist and hire me to speak or buy my books etc. It never stops, and it changes each year. This year I'm fortunate in having a friend posting quotes from me in lots of Facebook groups and helping my book clubs come to the attention of the world at large, for instance. But she has other work to do and can't be a marketer full time. I think she'd make good money at it but she has another career she loves.

I try hard to teach marketing in my coach trainings and in my WriteSpeak course, and people learn it, but after they graduate it, they just can't stand to do it. Actually I think it's fun. It's creative and inventive. You have to help them figure out how to create mailing lists so they can send out newsletters, and help them write the newsletters, you might come up with companies who would send them on speaking tours if you sent a letter and a copy of the books they wrote, and you'd be thinking up new ways to help them every day so they wouldn't waste all that ability.

I don't know how you'd charge for it - by placement or percentage of income. It sounds complex, but I know that getting someone to market for you - or even manage you! - is definitely worth paying for.

I know you didn't mention this in any of your interests, and I never would have either, but I've hardly spent a week in my over 40 years of my career without marketing myself. It felt interesting and it mattered a lot because I had rent to pay and kids to support.

One nice thing about being a creative marketer for speakers or coaches is that you don't need any training or certificates, you can start right away, on your own.

Just thought I'd mention it on the outside chance it would ring a bell for you.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby BarbaraSher » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:15 pm

inspiresuccess wrote:Thanks, Marie, for this story! I think it's okay to share the You Tube link. I could be wrong about that. If I am, the moderators will remove it. Thanks, again, for sharing.

It's fine to send people to a YouTube link, Marie.
BarbaraSher
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:00 pm

Even "marketing" my blog was a lot of work, yet it was rewarding in that I could see the number of hits go up as I intensified my efforts. I learned to post at certain times of the day, and to leave comments on other blogs, especially those that featured a live feed of commentators blogs. I'm not a people person at all, but it seemed almost effortless in the Blogsphere.
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby thejuicywoman » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:12 pm

Hi Inspiredsuccess,

Since I read your post a few hours ago your wish has been very much on my mind. I know that you
specifically wanted role models of women over 60, so I hope my suggestion will still be
useful to you.

After reviewing your profile, and learning that you had experience with knitting, I instantly thought of
Jenny Doan as a great role model to share with you. She built a quilting empire by learning how to
create quilting tutorials and putting them on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KWPW1uu038
Are you a gal who is an emotional eater? Get my free article on Losing Weight without Dieting for Women. Vist my website at http://www.thejuicywoman.com
thejuicywoman
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Previous

Return to Wishes and Obstacles