Wish: Trainer/Workshop Leader Obstacle: Where to Start?

Tell us your wish, tell us your obstacle, and we'll try to come up with some useful suggestions to help you get into action toward your dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Wish: Trainer/Workshop Leader Obstacle: Where to Start?

Postby JennKenn » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:51 pm

Hello all...I'm new to the group. I've loved reading through the boards and found great inspiration from the Refuse to Choose book. Here's why I'm posting:

My Wish:
My big dream is to be a trainer (workshop leader) where I train groups of people either in corporate america or individuals. I'd love more than anything to be hired to travel around the world and train a group of people on a topic. I'm open to this being a job or my own training business.

My Obstacle:
I have a few training topics swirling around in my head (productivity, communication, goal-setting), but I don't know where to begin in terms of taking the first step towards being hired to train. As I'm writing this, I'm reminded of the first step flow chart that Barbara mentioned in her book!! I'm adding that to my To Do list for tomorrow so I can get some ideas flowing. :)

I know my question is sort of vague AND broad. But, if anyone here is a trainer/workshop leader, I'd love to hear your thoughts on how you got started! Thanks.

Excited to learn from everyone and hear about what you're doing in life.

Jennifer
JennKenn
New User
New User

Re: Wish: Trainer/Workshop Leader Obstacle: Where to Start?

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:07 pm

A couple of thoughts:

Barbara Sher used to have workshops on how to be a coach. Sorry, she doesn't hold them anymore.

There's a website "Hanging Out with Barbara Sher" It costs to join - ($180 per year, I think. Someone please verify or correct this.) The first year, you get an e-mail three times per week with a video, audio, letter, or something. It's more about having fun and discovering yourself than about working towards a goal. People who subscribe to Hanging Out comment and you get into a cozy chat group with a lot of on-line friends. Occasionally, Barbara Sher adds her comments. If money isn't a problem, Hanging Out is a lot of fun.

Occasionally, Barbara Sher comments on the Boards (this website) as well.

Also, Patty Newbold hosts on-line book clubs on the Barbara Sher books - Refuse to Choose, etc.

Other thoughts about coaching - There are so many groups out there looking for speakers. - Senior Centers, libraries, schools labor unions, businesses. Also junior colleges and adult education and continuing education groups. You could develop a presentation, and offer it to these groups. Start small. - maybe an hour or less. Barbara Sher books are a great starting place to find material. You could also try an on-line presentation via Skype.

I hope someone else posts, because this really isn't my area of expertise. Also, sorry for sounding like a Barbara Sher advertisement. She's the motivational speaker I'm most familiar with. But of course, there are others - Depak Chopra, Wayne Dyer, etc.

It would be great help to you to have a support group. We'll support you on-line, but it would be good to have an in-person friend with whom to share ideas. Maybe someone who'd like to be a co-presenter.

This is a bold wish. Making something from nothing is hard. For me the hardest part would be approaching people and offering them my workshop.

Anyway, these are my ideas. And I don't know you, so feel free to ignore any or all of this post that doesn't work for you.

Good luck.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:45 pm

Not at all my area either. But I wonder if you're qualified to work in the "Human Resources" department of a large international corporation. That could be your good enough job, plus you could begin the training workshops at various facilities within the organization. Travel expenses would be paid, too.
Making something from nothing is hard.
I don't agree with this. Sometimes I find it harder to do things that have been done before because I'm stuck trying to conform to workflow and methods that are unfamiliar to me. If I can start something from scratch, I tend to do better.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby JennKenn » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:19 pm

Thank you so very much Elaine and SquarePeg.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. You both got my wheels turning about my next steps. I like the idea of trying to speak at organizations/associations and seeking out the Human Resources departments. I never think about that because my background is not in HR, but I know a lot of the training programs are developed and implemented by the HR department.

I'm going to dial into Barbara's teleconference tomorrow and start my first steps flow chart..will definitely add these steps. Thanks so very much!

Jennifer
JennKenn
New User
New User

Postby SquarePeg » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:18 pm

Good luck, Jennifer!

Please post again with an update to let us know how you made out, assuming you're not so busy doing workshops.... ;)
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Return to Wishes and Obstacles