I want to make the world vegan

Tell us your wish, tell us your obstacle, and we'll try to come up with some useful suggestions to help you get into action toward your dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

I want to make the world vegan

Postby Scorpy » Mon May 21, 2018 8:22 am

Wish: To stop animal cruelty and suffering, by making the world vegan.

Obstacle: I have no social skills and I stutter, so my only option would be to educate people online, but I don't know how.

Reasons to become vegan:
Animal Agriculture’s Impact on climate and environment.
Impact on world hunger.
Animal suffering from meat, dairy and egg industries.
Beneficial for our health.

I don't wish to debate, only seek advice for my goal, thanks for reading.
Scorpy
New User
New User

Re: I want to make the world vegan

Postby pattyn » Mon May 21, 2018 11:35 am

Scorpy, it is so much easier to encourage someone to go vegan after you've got them eating tasty vegan dishes, and there are many, many more people searching for recipes than for websites or videos trying to convince them to change their beliefs.

Cooking blogs are some of the easiest to start and they quickly reach a lot of readers. Just keep posting recipes, like my friend Mary did until she died. She would spend a Saturday cooking meals and photographing them. She would taste each one to decide whether to publish it and eat the meals for dinner over the following week. In between, she collected ideas for new recipes. Her Meatless Mediterranean recipes blog is still here: http://meatlessmediterranean.blogspot.com/

You can start a blog for free at blogspot.com (run by Google) or wordpress.com (run by Automattic). If you do it, I hope you will share the URL here.
- Patty Newbold
Director, Sher Success Teams
Marriage Education Author/Speaker - assumelove.com - enjoybeingmarried.com
pattyn
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Jason » Tue May 22, 2018 5:45 am

Not looking to debate - like you, Scorpy - but factory farming of animals produces more greenhouse gases than all our vehicles combined. Seems like a no-brainer if stopping global warming was really an important political goal.

But can you imagine the backlash - even in states that don't rely heavily on factory farming - if you started adding a hefty carbon tax on meat? And not just from the meat industry itself, but even from citizens driving Priuses!

Perhaps affiliating with/volunteering with/writing for a vegan or vegetarian advocacy group like one of the ones listed here:

https://www.vrg.org/links/VegetarianOrganizations.htm

And/or maybe working with animal rights groups specifically - getting them to advocate to their members and supporters - to reverse the hypocrisy of most of these groups who are looking for $19 a month to save dogs while they're eating a cows, pigs, chickens, etc. multiple times a day, every day, as they cash your checks.

Definitely an important and worthy goal. Best of luck, and yes, please share your efforts, and then we can use your URLs to enlighten others!
Jason
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Wed May 23, 2018 9:52 am

Nothing to add. I like Pattyn's idea of a vegan recipe blog.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scorpy » Fri May 25, 2018 7:21 am

@pattyn

I'm sorry that your friend Mary died, her meals look delicious. I see she was very dedicated.

I have been thinking about cooking in the future, since I'm vegan, it'll be a very useful skill to have not only for myself, but to also inspire others. Unfortunately I can't do it right now, my options are limited. I'm very interested in this idea though, and it's something I want to start doing in the near future. If I do and also create a blog, I'll post it here as an update.

@Jason

Unfortunately it will take a long time for a big change like that to happen, but I know that it's already in motion. The government won't care much about it, but injustice doesn't live forever.

Slowly, more people are becoming aware, and the demand for food containing no animal products rises. Probably people won't stop buying animal products any time soon, I guess the only future solution would be to slowly start closing factory farms, but I think it would be possible, I have some faith in people.

I'll look to see if I can write for something there, or do something else if I can.

Thank you guys for commenting and being supportive, it means a lot!
Scorpy
New User
New User

Postby pattyn » Fri May 25, 2018 10:44 am

Best of luck in your quest, Scorpy!

If you can't begin with recipes, consider a blog about where and how to buy vegan food. It's surprising just how many common foods and snacks are not vegan.
- Patty Newbold
Director, Sher Success Teams
Marriage Education Author/Speaker - assumelove.com - enjoybeingmarried.com
pattyn
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:17 pm

My daughter has been vegan for many years. I think it was the empathy for the suffering animals that motivated her. Vegan for her is not just diet, but includes choosing cruelty-free beauty products and clothing.

She and a few others were influenced way back in middle school (junior high school), so that might be the demographic to target.

We're also aware of a vegan book club in our area. If you start one at your local library, you might attract some interest. It's all just small steps, but at least it's something.

Good luck!
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Wishes and Obstacles