Wish:To Host an"Internet Detox"Retreat with 1 or more people

Tell us your wish, tell us your obstacle, and we'll try to come up with some useful suggestions to help you get into action toward your dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Wish:To Host an"Internet Detox"Retreat with 1 or more people

Postby Mariya » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:07 pm

My wish is to host a retreat that helps people stay offline, a fun retreat where people don't use electronics at all, and I would like for it to not be dependent on one location, I'd also like to host it with a partner or a few people. I even have some activities planned for it already.

Edit: Maybe it could start off in one location, like a ranch or something, preferably somewhere with lots of nature and pine trees, I love those.

Obstacles: I don't know anyone who would be interested in hosting it with me, Lack of money, and I don't even know how to make it happen.

What do you think? Thanks in advance!

P.S. Thank you so much to Barbara and her Tedx video, it gave me hope!
Mariya
New User
New User

Re: Wish:To Host an"Internet Detox"Retreat with 1 or more pe

Postby Jason » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:14 am

Okay, nobody's taking this one so I'll give it a shot.

Maybe start with the activities - like starting a card/game/book/etc. club where participants will turn off their devices and put them in a basket by the door and leave them there until the activity is wrapped up for the session.

If there's interest in this, then maybe it can be parlayed into a full day or weekend retreat with the same theme plus some other activities to fill the time.

When I think of a 'retreat' I think of something that requires a bit more effort than turning off your cell phone (which I know can be difficult), or a place to gain some specialized knowledge or interesting techniques that I'll be exposed to that I otherwise wouldn't have been unaware of.

That's why maybe starting it in smaller doses - like two hours - may get participants to realize the world doesn't end when you log out of Facebook, which may make an unplugged weekend seem more doable and desireable.
Jason
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:12 am

Isn't there something similar that Orthodox Jews do? Don't they turn off all electrical appliances on Friday night?

Maybe as a first step to your wish, you could host a retreat like that at your home(or a park or campsite) for one day. If you get something like that going, let us know.

You could send invitations by snail mail.

You could send a challenge over the Internet. "November 31st is Internet Detox Day take the challenge of spending a day without the net." Nanowrimo is a challenge to write 50,000 words in one month, and people all over the world sign up for it. Of course it relies on the Internet to encourage all of us, but maybe there's an idea there you could use.

I just have to say that I like the idea of a day of detox from the net. People are texting so much, they're forgetting how to talk. I would agree to do a day without the net.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:05 am

What activities are you planning?

If you started even smaller, and call it a party instead of a retreat, you could plan it and have it within a couple of weeks. Call it an idea party, and for your wish and obstacle ask for ideas on how to host an internet detox retreat. Gather some friends to go camping.

By the way, these ideas are yours to take or discard as you see fit.

I really hope you do it, because it sounds like a great idea.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Wishes and Obstacles