Work from home jobs???

Tell us your wish, tell us your obstacle, and we'll try to come up with some useful suggestions to help you get into action toward your dream.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Work from home jobs???

Postby Asiana83 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:51 am

Hello everyone! I've enjoyed reading many of your posts!

Wish :

I'm currently pregnant and wanting to find some sort of quiet work at home job so I can be here when my baby is born and for the first year or two. I looked into online jobs but they all seem very low paying and many of them seem like they could be scams. Does any one have ideas about this? I have a degree in molecular and cell biology and I'm almost done with a masters in special education. I have done some freelance simple illustration work in the past and worked remotely and I loved it. I'm 35 and I've fit a lot of general life experience into that time. I am versatile and willing to learn new things ( but maybe not more school right now) ! Any ideas are welcome!

Obstacles:

1) I need to make enough to support myself. I am 90% done with a masters in special education teaching. I was supposed to do student teaching next semester but baby is coming then and I'm concerned about finishing the degree and starting a whole new career with a new baby. I'm also afraid of my student loan payments coming in for this before I have a job.

2) Most online jobs I've seen like teaching English to children require a better internet connection than I have and aren't quiet. I have a tiny house/ cabin with out many doors and will want to be able to work while a baby sleeps.

3) I'm not great at typing or data entry because I've never learned to type properly and I'm just not a perfectionist, I will happily do data entry type jobs anyways but I was hoping there are other options.

4) I just moved to the east coast from the west coast so I have no family or community support.

5) I don't want to have to do more school or training because school's both expensive and time consuming and I;m already working on something else.

Thank you all! Have a great day- I look forward to reading more of your posts and hearing about where you all are in your own lives. I'm excited to hear what creative ideas you all may have :D about work at home jobs.:)
Asiana83
New User
New User

Re: Work from home jobs???

Postby Jason » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:09 am

■■■■■
Last edited by Jason on Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:55 am

I wonder if you could get some help from the people you worked for in the past.

The college professors who helped you with your masters might also be a great place to start. They know you and know what you're capable of. On-line colleges and universities might have a job for you.

I wish you the best.

p.s. Jason's post sounds very promising.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby NickyZ » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:06 pm

As regards noise, microsoft Lifechat headphones help reduce noise and there is a mute button. Also try an ethernet cable. I also do work online. Try Cambly, SayABC, TutorABC and Flexjobs always has an updated list. Let me know if you need more ideas.
NickyZ
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Tituba » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:07 pm

There are 26 pages of ideas in this thread

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6327
Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Asiana83 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:43 am

Thanks for the ideas!. So far no luck for me with this and I've been trying! My internet connection isn't good enough for a lot of the tutoring and teaching on line jobs ( I've tried a few like VIP kid and my internet doesn't pass inspection). I'm finding FlexJobs discouraging- all the jobs I'm qualified for seem to have a million applicants and I've gotten no where so far. Data entry or transcription is fine but even those sites have a ton of applicants who can type faster than me. Again, thanks for the input, I'll keep trying but any other ideas would be appreciated.
Asiana83
New User
New User

Postby Elaine Glimme » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:08 pm

My experience with job hunting has been similar to yours. Millions of applicants. Lots of rejections. (This was a long time ago.) If they're still around, there was a program through the the government unemployment office (Employment Development Department.) And i did get a job with their help. Here's what they did: The leader told us that we did have a forty-hour-per-week job right now. It's called looking for work, and we were supposed to do that just as if we were being paid for it and were required to put in the time. Word of mouth was one of the most productive ways of finding work. WE helped each other. WE also helped each other with resumes and with interviewing skills. I can't remember anything else that they taught us. I did spend forty hours each week polishing resumes writing to companies and reading job postings, etc. TODay's job hunting is very different from when I did it. THERE's Linkedin, which I find annoying, and so many on-line ways to find work.

Good luck. It really is that hard. BUT you only need one "yes".
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby pattyn » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:30 am

I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time finding work. Have you tried writing to the art departments at all the biology text publishers to let them know there is a freelance illustrator available with your credentials?

Here's a list of some of them:
https://publishersarchive.com/biology-b ... ishers.php

Here's another to add:
https://books.wwnorton.com/books/course ... px?tid=570

You might also look at their author lists and write directly to the authors, who are very likely to need illustrators for journal articles, too. Journals seldom provide artists. They leave that to the author.
- Patty Newbold
Director, Sher Success Teams
Marriage Education Author/Speaker - assumelove.com - enjoybeingmarried.com
pattyn
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:53 pm

Amazingly good idea, Patty!

Popping back up out of an immense rabbit hole to add:
I would extend the search beyond text books to include and target journals, as well. I'm thinking right now of the American Institute of Physics because someone I know was an editor there once upon a time. But here's an overwhelming list of possible journal publishers. Some also publish text books, like Elsevier or Springer.

As in all job searches, always ask for more leads. So if you make contact with someone on a editorial review board, ask where to go next. Look at this German guy on the editorial board of Journal of Molecular Biology, for instance: Johannes Buchner. Maybe he knows of a great opportunity! Science nerds tend to be very helpful seeing as we're social outcasts (speaking for myself, anyway).
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Wishes and Obstacles