W: Work with diseased children, O: I'm a student

Tell us your wish, tell us your obstacle, and we'll try to come up with some useful suggestions to help you get into action toward your dream.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

W: Work with diseased children, O: I'm a student

Postby climbinggirl » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:57 am

Hello,

I would love to get the chance of working with children who have incurable diseases. That probably sounds a bit strange given that I'm still a student and most of my peers don't even think of anything nearly as specific but I'll explain where this idea comes from.
Already for a couple of years I'm interested in medicine and biochemistry and thinking about working in the medical research later to help find cure or better treatments for certain diseases.
Then, about 10 months ago, my joints started to hurt constantly. Since then it has got and is still getting worse but the doctors are pretty sure not being going to find out what it could be and if they don't, I'll be diagnosed with fibromyalgia which is, a disease we neither know the cause of have nor any cure for except for a handful of treatments that make everyday's life a little less painful.

I hope it's got more or less clear what has led to my wish. I think that there are not enough people caring about people who have diseases and I'd like to do this in my freetime.
I live in Germany, very close to Berlin, I'm almost 17 years old and I'm going to finish school in 2020. That means I haven't got any education in this area (aside from biology lessons and what I've been reading due to my interests) and I haven't really worked with children yet neither without regard to my little sister. ;)

I have no idea how I could get to do this, so I am very open to anything that might come to your mind and would be happy if someone would answer to this post! :) :)
climbinggirl
New User
New User

Re: W: Work with diseased children, O: I'm a student

Postby pattyn » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:15 am

Do what you love! The stranger it sounds, the better, because it means it needs doing. No one else is doing it.

Some places to look:
https://vostel.de/en/volunteering/projects?city=Berlin
https://www.idealist.org/en/?q=children ... e&type=ALL
https://www.betterplace.org/de/discover ... tegoryId=2

Possibly useful:
http://gsbtb.org/projects/
- Patty Newbold
Director, Sher Success Teams
Marriage Education Author/Speaker - assumelove.com - enjoybeingmarried.com
pattyn
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby climbinggirl » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:32 pm

There are some interesting projects around there, I think, especially on vostel. Thank you, pattyn, I'm probably gonna take part in one I've found there actually.

However, it's not exactly what I was looking for, because there are only projects with refugees (without saying that this is bad, it's just not what I'm particularly interested in) and most of them are only for adults.
climbinggirl
New User
New User

Postby pattyn » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:46 pm

Show up. Help. Ask where to find children who need you. Most volunteers know of other volunteer projects. And they will be local. They will know of the needs that don't make it to the internet.
- Patty Newbold
Director, Sher Success Teams
Marriage Education Author/Speaker - assumelove.com - enjoybeingmarried.com
pattyn
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:23 pm

I'm so concerned about your joint pain! I hope you will explore alternate methods of healing that don't involve doctors -- they don't know about many diseases. Lyme Disease (a tick-borne illness) is now just about world wide, but German doctors might think it's something you get in Northeastern USA (where it was discovered). Certain foods can make inflammation worse.

Anyway, my daughter is in college. She would like to help children, too. She is interested in a sub specialty of psychotherapy called "Art Therapy". Art is just one "medium" through which to provide therapy. For example, there is also Hippotherapy, which involves horses.

I wonder if you can find a program that you could volunteer at, or get a job as an intern at a place that provides this kind of therapy.

Good luck!
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby elarue » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:06 pm

I would approach the pediatric department at the local hospital and tell them what you're interested in. There may be some regulations and requirements to allow you to volunteer, but I would think they would be welcome to have the volunteer help, and the experience can parlay directly into your education, especially when you get into the research training to write your dissertation. :-)
elarue
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Thu May 09, 2019 4:31 pm

You might want to temporarily expand what you're looking for. What I mean is rather than limit it to incurable diseases, find someplace you can work with children with any type of disease. Once you're in the field, you will meet people who can help you find work with incurable cases.

Another area would be premature babies. I know in my area volunteers sit in rocking chairs and rock them on a regular basis. Again, once you're there you might meet someone who can direct you to places you could work with the population you want to work with.

You might also want to research "internships". That might turn up something.

Good luck. Let us know what you find!

Inspire Success
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Wishes and Obstacles