W: to sing Lucia di Lammermoor...

Each dreamer gets one topic. Ready to move toward your dream? Come in and open a topic in your name so we can note your progress, cheer you on, console you, curse your enemies, take up collections and generally keep track of you and your excellent dream.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

W: to sing Lucia di Lammermoor...

Postby hermiaflorestan » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:51 pm

My biggest wish is to sing Lucia in Donizetti’s Opera Lucia di Lammermoor. I can learn and sing the role but my obstacles are: performance venue/opera house, conductor and orchestra and ... a full cast!
Actually when I really strip my dream to the bare minimum - an orchestra and conductor and other singers are my true obstacles. Someone’s basement or something and no costumes and a two person audience would be fine with me!
So I guess if anyone’s wish is to have a live performance of Lucia, I’m here!
hermiaflorestan
New Poster
New Poster

Re: W: to sing Lucia di Lammermoor...

Postby inspiresuccess » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:48 pm

I know the dream is to really really do it, but in the meantime, could you put on a performance for family and friends just for the practice to start out with?

The library in my area has concerts for local musicians. They have a nice community concert space. Maybe you could get some other folks and put together "An evening of Opera" and do different solo parts or duets. Also, the church in my area (several, actually) host concerts.

How good are you? You might have to try out for these things. And you'd have to get together with other musicians (like a pianist accompanist).

Good luck! Keep us posted as to how this dream takes shape.

Inspire Success
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:35 pm

What a cool wish!

Where do you live? In my neighborhood, we have a "next door" website. It works like Facebook, and each website works for a community "NextdoorTaraHills" "NextdoorPinole" and so on. If you have anything like that where you are, you might be able to find some opera buffs living near you who would love to be part of your wish.

Along similar lines, you could post your wish on a community bulletin board, but if you have "Next door", it's probably a better option.

I'm also remembering some internet productions where people from all over the world got together and played music. I have no idea of the technical challenge involved in something like that.

Good luck.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby hermiaflorestan » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:05 am

A little more about me, I work in Germany as an opera singer already so I have the know how and support, my teacher has worked on the role with me. I think this role is one of the biggest reasons WHY I wanted to become a professional singer in the first place! I just love it!
Part of the obstacle is that opera is such a big undertaking and someone really has to program the piece for you. But really my wish somehow goes beyond this and singing for me as a career choice- I simply want to sing this role so badly as a human!
These are awesome suggestions. I think actually there is a neighborhood bulletin like this in Berlin. I’ll post some things and see how it goes!

Also out of curiosity with others posting wishes- I think because this is really a true wish for me, I actually have trouble sharing it with my agent or my boss at the theater, who could help me make it happen professionally. This seems totally counterintuitive. Why does asking for a life wish make me so anxious!?
hermiaflorestan
New Poster
New Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:46 am

hermiaflorestan wrote: Also out of curiosity with others posting wishes- I think because this is really a true wish for me, I actually have trouble sharing it with my agent or my boss at the theater, who could help me make it happen professionally. This seems totally counterintuitive. Why does asking for a life wish make me so anxious!?

Barbara Sher says this emotion is a GOOD SIGN! It means you're getting close to what you really want! Have you read Wishcraft? She talks about it there.

It's good news that you have an agent and a boss at the theater. The question then is, "How can we get you to ask"? As far as Barbara Sher goes, she would say accountability. Knowing that someone is going to say, "So, how did it go"? will help.

Can you make a plan, a specific date and time that you will be committed to talking to one of these people? We will hold you accountable.
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:35 pm

The question I forgot to ask is - do you have a group of friends who love opera? Obviously, you have that and more. And if you are already a professional singer, you have something other people want. Could you offer your talent to a charity as a fund-raiser? Or publicity for someone? You agent might be the perfect person to make something like that happen. You're right - you are close to having your wish come true.

Offering your talent as a fundraiser means that people who could help you make it happen would gain something from helping you. ($$$)

And could you make a you tube video for those of us not in Germany?

Again, good luck, and good wishes.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby hermiaflorestan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:03 am

inspiresuccess wrote:
hermiaflorestan wrote: Also out of curiosity with others posting wishes- I think because this is really a true wish for me, I actually have trouble sharing it with my agent or my boss at the theater, who could help me make it happen professionally. This seems totally counterintuitive. Why does asking for a life wish make me so anxious!?

Barbara Sher says this emotion is a GOOD SIGN! It means you're getting close to what you really want! Have you read Wishcraft? She talks about it there.

It's good news that you have an agent and a boss at the theater. The question then is, "How can we get you to ask"? As far as Barbara Sher goes, she would say accountability. Knowing that someone is going to say, "So, how did it go"? will help.

Can you make a plan, a specific date and time that you will be committed to talking to one of these people? We will hold you accountable.

Yes! I’ve finally found a copy of wishcraft in English to order, I’m glad this emotion is normal!

Mini update: I’ve talked to one of my bosses at the theater and am covering the role now so in case the soprano is sick, It would be an option for them to have me sing it from the side of the stage. Now I have to confirm it though with my other boss who organizes all of the music- I’ll talk to him this week. AND I just scheduled an audition,I’ll present an excerpt for the first time and see how it goes.
Having some accountability is really helping me get past this anxiety wall!
hermiaflorestan
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:47 am

That's so great! Good luck and good wishes for your audition.

And I can't really wish that the lead soprano gets sick, but . . . maybe just one night - just a little tiny something.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby hermiaflorestan » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:04 am

Update:

My audition was unfortunately canceled but I have the opportunity in two weeks for another competition in NYC. Since I live in Germany, it’s pricey to go but it’s another opportunity to sing one of the arias from Lucia and put it out there. If I can get off of work, then I will try and go. It’s very expensive so maybe does anyone know any good cheap hotels in the city? I have a friend I can stay with 1-2 nights. Also does anyone know any tips on finding the cheapest airline tickets? I think I have some airline points too, although I’ve never used them.

Side note- my copy of Wishcraft came and I’ve been reading it, I WISH I had read this when I was a teen!

Thanks!
hermiaflorestan
New Poster
New Poster

Postby Elaine Glimme » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:57 am

It sounds as if you've lived the life you've wanted to live - or pretty close to it. I know very little about flying, but I'm wishing you good luck.
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:45 pm

inspiresuccess wrote:

Barbara Sher says this emotion is a GOOD SIGN! It means you're getting close to what you really want! Have you read Wishcraft? She talks about it there.--snip--
I agree. The fact that you have contacts who could make your wish a reality, and the fact that you have trouble sharing the wish suggests that you have some resistance to the fulfillment of the wish. Is your resistance due to fear?
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby SquarePeg » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:48 pm

So I just read all the posts in this thread. Congratulations for talking about it with one of your bosses! I hope it works out for you!
SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby hermiaflorestan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:12 pm

SquarePeg wrote:
inspiresuccess wrote:

Barbara Sher says this emotion is a GOOD SIGN! It means you're getting close to what you really want! Have you read Wishcraft? She talks about it there.--snip--
I agree. The fact that you have contacts who could make your wish a reality, and the fact that you have trouble sharing the wish suggests that you have some resistance to the fulfillment of the wish. Is your resistance due to fear?

So I’m about to catch my last flight to NYC, I sing tomorrow in the first of three rounds. The way it works is that I could be eliminated after each round. So we will see how it goes, I’m super full of fear but just finished the “Hard Times” chapter in Wishcraft which has been very helpful. So I’ll sing tomorrow and I guess I will be super afraid but also will try to enjoy it too!
hermiaflorestan
New Poster
New Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:48 pm

hermiaflorestan wrote: ... I’m super full of fear but just finished the “Hard Times” chapter in Wishcraft which has been very helpful. So I’ll sing tomorrow and I guess I will be super afraid but also will try to enjoy it too!

Yay! Good for you! Good luck!
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby hermiaflorestan » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:47 pm

I sang the competition and made it to the semi-finals. I found out tonight I didn’t make the finals. I’m disappointed- however I’m still happy I came and tried. It was awesome to just sing one of the arias from Lucia, with a really great pianist. Now figuring out what the next step is. Rejection never feels good but I also have a good feeling that I finally presented the role in an audition setting.

Tips for “getting back on the horse” ?
hermiaflorestan
New Poster
New Poster

Next

Return to Idea Parties