Wish: To dance professionally with a company

Tell us your wish, tell us your obstacle, and we'll try to come up with some useful suggestions to help you get into action toward your dream.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Wish: To dance professionally with a company

Postby ITC » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:53 pm

Obstacle: I haven't trained in years so I need a good school that will take me seriously and help me with this
I just saw a podcast where Barbara mentioned a Boston company that takes adult dancers and was wondering what the name of that company was as she never mentioned it.
ITC
New User
New User

Re: Wish: To dance professionally with a company

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:58 pm

Did you dance professionally earlier? Your post sounds as if you're familiar with the world of professional dancing.

What kind of dancing are you interested in?
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby ITC » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:41 pm

I trained at the Alvin Ailey and Joffrey Ballet schools in NYC. I did not dance professionally and stopped auditioning before that dream was ever realized, unfortunately. I would like to retrain and did hear Barbra mention on a video a company in Boston for people that were interested. She did not give the name though.
ITC
New User
New User

Postby Elaine Glimme » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:01 pm

Just for fun, I googled Boston ballet school. I got three hits in the Boston area including a "Boston Ballet School" in the city of Boston. They are having auditions on the tenth of January. No idea of this is what Barbara was talking about.

If you don't live in or near Boston, you could check out other ballet schools in your area. The Boston school can't be the only good school in the nation. I hope you find something that works for you.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby inspiresuccess » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:28 am

I think you're going to have to do lots of googling and calling/emailing schools to find out the information you need. Sometimes, just doing phone calls and emailing gives you a better sense of what you're going after.

Good luck with this. It sounds exciting if you can make it happen. Are you taking any classes now?
inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

liz lerman's dance exchange

Postby Lynx » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:43 pm

Hello,

Liz Lerman's Dance Exchange(in Maryland) might be a good resource. Lerman built her reputation on working with people of all ages and abilities in her dance pieces.

Questions: Is your goal to be paid for your professional dance skills? Would using your dance skills in the role of a teacher or coach satisfy?

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel
Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Wishes and Obstacles