Wish:ride on a yacht.Post rare skin disease diagnosis Wlist

Tell us your wish, tell us your obstacle, and we'll try to come up with some useful suggestions to help you get into action toward your dream.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Wish:ride on a yacht.Post rare skin disease diagnosis Wlist

Postby Livelife » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:30 am

Hi everyone!

My wish: Ride on a yacht.

My obstacle: Don't know anyone with a yacht and can't afford to buy or rent one.

Happy holidays! I feel like my wish is a little silly at times but since I was a little girl, I have always had a special connection to yachts. It's odd because I don't really know anyone that has a yacht or works with boats or anything like that. It's not a thing in our family either and I can't afford one. I remember the first time I saw the movie Overboard with Goldie Hawn; I felt something inside of me when I saw her on that yacht. Super funny because I have nothing in common with Goldie Hawn or that movie either haha. I have watched this movie several times and I still get a feeling of connection- every. single. time. I commute near the Hudson river by NYC and at times I might catch a glimpse of a yacht on the river and my eyes light up and I just smile and stare at it until I can’t see it anymore. My obstacles are that I don’t know anyone with a yacht, I can’t afford one, I don’t know how to operate one and most of the boating clubs by my way that would have yachts are private and you need to know someone to even step foot in that area.

I have stopped trying to understand why I feel this way and I am just going to try and see if I can do this in my lifetime. Around 2 years ago, I got diagnosed with a rare skin disease called linear scleroderma. It’s a rare and potentially disfiguring disease. Most docs even in NYC don’t know much about it or how to treat it. There is no cure and thus far it has scarred me slightly on my forehead, but I caught it early, so I think I prevented further damage. There was a lot of uncertainty and at first and we were not sure if It was systemic scleroderma which is fatal and comes with a horrible death. I spent a while thinking I had like 2 years to live. It was the worst period of my life. I used to write letters to my little girl in case I could not be there for her when she got older. I now have hope that I will be here for her and will live a long happy life with her. My disease has remained only on the skin so it’s not systemic! I am so grateful to be here 2 years later and so happy to just be breathing and still have my face! This experience has changed me forever. I take nothing for granted and have decided to start checking things off my bucket list and as silly as it sounds riding a yacht is at the top of that list! Second is a trip to Sweden and 3rd is a trip to France and Italy. I have faith and hope that I will get to experience these things in my lifetime.
I can't believe that I posted this but thank you for reading my post! I wish everyone a great New Year full of hope, love and happiness!
Livelife
New User
New User

Re: Wish:ride on a yacht.Post rare skin disease diagnosis Wl

Postby SusannahB » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:43 pm

Hi LiveLife,
There are many website that pair boats and crew. Some are paid positions, some not. Some require experience, some not. Search through them and see if you can find someone who needs a hand on a short journey, or just a day cruise. These are everything from boat owners needing long term skippers to folks wanting to take their own boat out for the day and needing people to help, to helping deliver boats from one port to another.

Here are a few:
https://www.findacrew.net/
https://www.crewseekers.net/

You never know where it might lead.
SusannahB
New User
New User

Re: Wish:ride on a yacht.Post rare skin disease diagnosis Wl

Postby Livelife » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:21 pm

Hi SusannahB! Thank you so much for reading my post and for providing me with some helpful info and links! Really appreciate it :)

SusannahB wrote:Hi LiveLife,
There are many website that pair boats and crew. Some are paid positions, some not. Some require experience, some not. Search through them and see if you can find someone who needs a hand on a short journey, or just a day cruise. These are everything from boat owners needing long term skippers to folks wanting to take their own boat out for the day and needing people to help, to helping deliver boats from one port to another.

Here are a few:
https://www.findacrew.net/
https://www.crewseekers.net/

You never know where it might lead.
Livelife
New User
New User

Return to Wishes and Obstacles