Wish:Dog walking for money Obstacle: how to promote?

Tell us your wish, tell us your obstacle, and we'll try to come up with some useful suggestions to help you get into action toward your dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Wish:Dog walking for money Obstacle: how to promote?

Post by inspiresuccess »

Hi. I'd love to do some dog walking for extra money. I don't want it to be a business. I only want to do it maybe 3-4 times per week. How to promote it?

I've thought so far of calling vets to see if I could list with them or post an ad. I've thought of posting flyers at dog parks. I've thought of posting flyers at places where people walk their dogs.

Any other ideas? I don't want to post on the internet, but if someone has some specific site or reason, I'd be open to it.

inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Wish:Dog walking for money Obstacle: how to promote?

Post by inspiresuccess »

Oh, dear. I've come down from my high. There are lots of people out there advertising themselves as dog-walkers. And it seems to pay less than what I had imagined.

The tiresome reality is I'll have to make it a business in order to get any business. I have so little time to do this. My money is running out.

I'll have to deal with it tomorrow. Ugh.

snoopy
New Poster
New Poster

Post by snoopy »

I don't know where you live - here in Germany are neighbour platforms in the internet where you could post it.
The idea with the flyers is great - ask the vet or ask in the animal home.

Do you want to make money with it or not? This is not clear from your postings for me.

inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by inspiresuccess »

Well, I did some thinking today and realized I'm not going to make any money doing this. Yes, Snoopy, I was hoping I would make enough money per month to pay for my health insurance - $250 per month.

I found a website: Fido.com. I could post myself there.

Here is the downside of this plan.

1. The driving time to each 1 hour appointment cuts down on the actual money I would make per hour.

2. My car is 20 years old. I don't have car repairs because I rarely drive. If I drive a lot for a job I'd end up paying not only more for gas but especially car repairs that can be expensive.

It would be good for me mentally. I tend to get depressed. It would be good exercise. So, I'm going to look into it.

But it's disappointing I won't be able to pay for my health insurance.

snoopy
New Poster
New Poster

Post by snoopy »

Is there the possibilty to do the dog walking in your neighbourhood?
You could put your flyers in the post boxes around you.
You could go to the next park (or where the dog owners go...) and ask directly.
Result: no car costs ;-)

And you could ask them what they would like to pay for a hour dog walking. 10$? 20$?
Is ist possible for you to do 15 or 25 dog walks a month?
Another possibilty could be beeing the "day mom" for a dog. Lot of people which have a full time job need somebody to care for the dog when they are in their job.

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

thoughts

Post by Lynx »

Hi Inspire:

Tho disappointing, the lining on this cloud is realizing this now saved you from even larger disappointments later. Reversing to the purpose: to earn $250 month—here's a bucket of ideas ...

The type of writing you mentioned you love on the success stories thread is termed ghost writing. That's the macro-level skill. The micro level stuff of grammar and spelling has lots of apps to help: one is prowritingaid. I happen to use this one and it's pretty good. Still have to exercise judgment and attention or the writing becomes mud trying to reach it's criteria.

AARP has a short-run employment of seniors program it administers for the feds. I think it's six months. It's called the Senior Community Service Employment Program.

January is inventory season in retail and temporary help is maybe needed to get a good count. (at least it used to be).

Search craigslist, etc. for ghost writing projects.

We're cheering for you,
Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by inspiresuccess »

Lynx, thanks for your suggestions. Thanks, especially for the term, ghost writer. I love the idea of that.

I didn't know about AARP. Should I become a member?

Snoopy, I have health problems that would only allow me to dog walk a few days a week. I like your idea of handing out my business card or a flyer directly to people at dog parks or dog walking places. I'd forgotten about dog parks where owners let their dogs run free.

Lynx
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

SCSEP ...

Post by Lynx »

Hi Inspire,

It's a Dept of Labor program. Here's the page https://www.doleta.gov/seniors/

AARP is just one of the program's nonprofit outlets. Given that it's a federal program you may have to find out if membership is required.

I researched dental plans, and the one through AARP met my needs the best, so I joined. Membership was discounted to $12 my first yr, now I pay the regular $16 year. There's a bulletin, a magazine, member discounts, and online resources. The buy-in price is this low because everything's splattered with ads.

Lynx
"Vision is not enough. It must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps; we must step up the stairs." Vaclav Havel

inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by inspiresuccess »

Thanks, Lynx. I'm going to apply for a job I found online. Info on the steppers thread.

SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by SquarePeg »

Perhaps you decided that dog walking is not worth pursuing.

Would you consider dog sitting or doggie daycare? In this scenario, a client would drop her dog(s) off at your home while she goes off to work or vacation.

This would at least ensure that you do not have to drive to the client. The downside might be an increase in the cost of your home owner's insurance policy, unless you're very selective about the breed.

The vet could be a tremendous resource -- they can not only refer clients but screen them as well. I would not put up flyers for this service -- just use word-of-mouth. Spread the word to "special" people at your favorite church groups.

We put our golden into such a place once. It worked out well for all.

inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by inspiresuccess »

Hi SquarePeg,

I live in a one-bedroom apartment in an apartment complex that doesn't allow dogs!

It's really a nasty, rainy day today. I can't believe I wanted to walk dogs! I'm such a wimp! But now that I don't want to make it a business I'm still open to doing occasional dog walking if I find the right dog and owner.

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Tituba »

You could do this for some money this year

https://2020census.gov/en/jobs.html?cid ... 0%2Bhiring

inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by inspiresuccess »

Thanks, Tituba. I had considered that.

Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Elaine Glimme »

My friend does dog walking and dog sitting to supplement a slim social security check. She's really successful. She advertises on Craig's list. She gets all the customers she needs. She goes to my church, and all of us know that she dog sits, and and some of us, including me when Molly was alive, use her service. She does, indeed, approach it as a business. She has a contract form that the dog owner signs. She also lives in an apartment, and when she dog sits, she does it at the clients home. She can come to the client's home twice a day, feed the animal(s) and walk the dog(s) or stay overnight, and care for the pets. She's very professional. I assume she pays taxes. (Check how this affects your social security.)

This is kind of important - she used to volunteer for the County animal shelter, and as part of the volunteering, she took classes on canine behavior. So when she's walking the dog, the dog is well-behaved. At first, she wouldn't walk large dogs. Now, she has no problem with large dogs. She only walks one household's dogs at a time - not the five dogs on five leashes scenario.

Your last posts sound as if you've gone off the idea of dog walking. If you're still interested, would you like me to ask my friend if she's willing to talk/post with you and tell you about what she does?
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"

SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by SquarePeg »

One more tidbit on dog walking.

A dog doesn't naturally know how to walk on a leash. A dog needs to be leash trained for a good outcome. Proper training can take several weeks, but here I'm referring to the type of walking that you might see in a dog show, where the dog stays in heel position all the time and stops and sits when the trainer stops.

Small dogs can be controlled by brute force. But a near 100 pound black lab that sees a squirrel will drag the human. Did you ever read (or see the movie) "Marley and Me"? If you're still considering dog walking, insist that dogs greater than, say, 30 pounds, (or certain breeds) be leash trained.

Another income possibility is a part-time nanny. Sometimes a mom (or dad) will need a responsible adult to pick up a child from school, and sit for maybe three hours until the parent comes home from work. My daughter was offered this opportunity for the few weeks between when college ends and elementary school ends, from about mid May to mid June. This is an extension of her babysitting gig -- she has one very loyal client.

Personally I'd prefer the dog scenario. Dogs don't mind (and won't tell) if you fart or pick your nose in front of them. :)