Scanner Stuck in Career Limbo

Tell us your wish, tell us your obstacle, and we'll try to come up with some useful suggestions to help you get into action toward your dream.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

jfow4571
New User
New User

Scanner Stuck in Career Limbo

Post by jfow4571 »

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for reading my post. I'm a textbook "Scanner". I am also disabled, so I can only do so much physical and mental labour, and I get quickly drained. I'm female, 39 years old, live in Toronto, Canada.

My issue is career. I have two university degrees (Interdisciplinary Art, and Communication Design Theory), as well as a diploma in Early Childhood Education. I also have two failed businesses under my belt - one doing packaging design for several high end brands in Canada (this business died because of the 2008 recession); and (ironically enough) a business in disability support services (however, I can only take on one client per time, due to burnout and exhaustion).

I am currently running at a 50% monthly deficit for my budget, even though I work PT, and have disability support from the local government. There are penalties for accepting/earning money, believe it or not, so it's been very hard to get out of poverty.

That being said, I feel lost. I'm a total scanner, and literally can't even finish a painting (no matter what size), as I get bored and never pick it up again. I have so many business ideas in my head, I can't keep track. I focus and commit one day - the next I could care less and move onto something else.

I'd love to have some sort of creative career that didn't drive me batty with boredom, but I can't seem to find it. I've been in career limbo for 4 years now, scraping by, and have no idea what do. I grow tired of self-help books. I've heard it all. Sure, I can do a "day job", but it never works. I'm just not a 9-5er, and when I try, I'm miserable. I tried art, which everyone liked, but would never purchase. Graphic design has changed immensely since I last picked around with it. I don't know the software anymore, and don't have the memory capacity to learn it (too complex). I can't do ECE because I don't have the physical and mental stamina to work every day (I was diagnosed with my disability half-way through college in my mid-thirties).

If there was something I could do that I knew I could make a living doing at home or in an office, I'd go for it. But I need a very high rate of pay, and extremely varied tasks. I have no idea what kind of job this would be - but I'm open to suggestions. I need steady money, at least within the next 2-3 months.

Any ideas? I'm driven nuts trying to figure this out.

WISH: Day job that makes enough money to live on, but don't bore the hell out of me.
Obstacle: Indecision. No proof of concept (if I had a choice, I'd be some sort of artist, designer, or illustrator, but none seem possible enough to make enough money).

- J

inspiresuccess
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Scanner Stuck in Career Limbo

Post by inspiresuccess »

Welcome to the boards! You write about your situation in a very clear way. That's definitely a skill. Keep that in mind. You have a lot of clarity about what has worked and what hasn't worked in the past. I don't have any immediate ideas but I'll give it some thought and come back. The boards are quiet these days so don't give up if you don't get lots of responses immediately. Good luck with this. You have a lot of good things to work with here. I know the frustration of seeming to have too much instead of not enough. But there's something in here that can work for you. I believe that. Hang in there.

jfow4571
New User
New User

Post by jfow4571 »

Inspire,

Thank you so much for your support. It's much appreciated. - J

SquarePeg
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by SquarePeg »

Not sure what career to suggest yet.

The issue of boredom getting in the way of completing tasks makes this a complicated problem. A scanner might leave a project unfinished to pursue another idea. In that case, the Scanner Daybook can be a great way of postponing the new idea long enough to wrap up the current project.

But if the current project just becomes boring, then I think the Scanner Daybook would be less helpful.

Maybe you are driven by starting things, like a new painting. What is it about starting a new painting that you like? At what point do you lose interest? Or is it maybe the physical / mental fatigue that drags the project down? Is this a common symptom of your condition? Is there a local support group to meet with that can offer support?

You like to start projects. Do you think you can you find a partner / associate who hates to start projects but enjoys finishing them?

Tituba
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Tituba »

I find when people focus on what they don't want, can't tolerate etc., they get more of it in their lives. If you are in immediate need of funds, you just may have to tolerate boredom until you are in a more secure financial position

Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post by Elaine Glimme »

What Tituba said about focusing on the negative bringing more negative interests me. So here's the flip side. What have you done that has been interesting (painting) and what have you had success doing? Was your business a success before the recession? What are All the good things you've accomplished? (Your first answer may be "nothing." If it is, keep thinking. You' have two degrees, a diploma, and experience running a business. You've done some good things. What are they?
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"