read her books, did her tapes, saw her in person, still stuc

Tell us your wish, tell us your obstacle, and we'll try to come up with some useful suggestions to help you get into action toward your dream.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

read her books, did her tapes, saw her in person, still stuc

Postby cosmic architect » Thu Jan 31, 2002 11:36 am

I'm beginning to feel like I will never find a kind of work that will sustain me past 6 months. I love too many things and get bored too easy. I need a large dose of creative challenge and adventure and when that ceases to feel creatively challenging and adventurous, I can't bare it any more. I did what Barbara suggested but the same thing happened. I lost interest fast. I was a motivational speaker for womens groups but dressing up in fancy clothes and going out to say the same thing over and over again. Yikes!! Couldn't do it. And the only way to make money is to have large groups and I need to be able to personally relate, so the large groups didn't cut it. I put together a brochure having to do with taking people, one at a time, to a developing country to grow past their "stuff", using the wonders of all things foreign as an aid, and me using all my skills with designing people and support and love of fun and adventure as their guide, but WHERRE CAN I FIND PEOPLE CRAZY ENOUGH TO DO THIS - I HAVE NO CREDENTIALS OR PROOF ENOUGH FOR THEM TO PUT UP THAT KIND OF MONEY AND TIME (one month minimally). I'll take any feedback that can be had. Thanks, Aisling
cosmic architect
New User
New User

Postby Willow Wand » Thu Jan 31, 2002 12:47 pm

Hi Aisling, Thanks for the encouragement in the above post I just left. You are right. Putting time constraints and scheduling writing is something that does not work for me. It would be like trying to make my curly hair straight. I am done going against my natural grain! It appears that so are you. I want to applaud you first off for the great successes you have had so far in re-designing your life to fit a natural purpose. It may appear to you to be tried failure\'s...but just like a doctor who has to run test after test to confirm a diagnosis...you are ruling out what has worked and doesn\'t work for you. It\'s frustrating...the process of elimination...but I believe you are on your way. Now, I don\'t think I have any true constructive advice regarding your new plan. There might be other\'s here that can help with more specific kinds of advice. I can make suggestions though, based on what I think will work on an intuitive level. By the way...your goal here sounds like my dream life! I know that you don\'t feel like you have a basis for producing credentials. Any group you take out for this kind of \'retreat\' is going to be your test run. I think rather than look at what you are \'not\', you should focus right now on all your experiences that qualify you for this endeavor. This part of the process is strictly for the purpose of denying your ego from shooting you down to nil. Based on what you described, I don\'t see any reason why you couldn\'t follow through with this and become a success. I would sign up tommorrow if I could! It\'s important not to allow the wide chasm between you and the goal to swallow this up into never, never land. So I would get constructive and start creating a business plan. Sorry, can\'t help you with those details, it just seems to be the next logical step (if you haven\'t done it already). Remember, you probably already have a baseline of marketing through your motivational speaking. Do you have a mailing list? Use it. The people you previously lectured to showed up because they have the desire to grow. They\'ll be interested in knowing about something like this. There are also plenty of markets like magazines, or proably even local center\'s that offer courses to people in the community for self improvement. Once you make your first trip, people will be talking about it and spreading the word. But marketing will be key for continued success. I don\'t think it\'s even a matter of whether there is a demand for this. There are plenty of other established people guiding these kinds of tours, but my impulse tells me that the market could not possibly be saturated. Study other groups. Make contacts. Seek out someone to mentor you in this area. You might even consider attending one to help you create your own brand and get a feel for the actual experience (if you haven\'t already?). Have you considered partnering up with another person already doing this kind of work? Or partnering up with someone that wants to do the same? Brainstorming outloud can be very effective. Talk to as many people as possible. Look at all the great idea\'s we share here :-) Staying within the confines of your own imaginings may be limiting all the possibilities. I would also think just asking people in general whether they would be interested would lead to new connections and insights. Start doing the footwork. Put together the details on costs, and create the itineraries and activities that will be included. Talk to people in the travel industry and find out way\'s to get discounted fares and lodgings. I hope some of these things help you in some small way. You deserve to live a life of pleasure, satisfaction and meaning. The Best, Leslie P.S. - I just wanted to add one more thing. It seems like your biggest obstacle with this is confidence. I often tell myself I must be an imposter and out of my mind if I think anyone is going to care what I have to say with my writing. Remember, you don\'t have to even provide credentials. If anyone asks for them, you just tell them what your experience has been, and that your taking your life to the next notch. I think your skills will get you through this pretty effortlessly. The most important thing people will require is that your going to make sure all the details are taken care of and that they will be secure in their hands. Remember too that the people who have been doing these tours started somewhere too. Everyone has that first time. The only thing that will be lacking on your brochures to begin with is being able to advertise that you\'ve been \'taking people to the next level since 200.....\' just for example! As long as you believe in yourself...other\'s will too. Take Care, Leslie [This message has been edited by Willow Wand (edited January 31, 2002).] [This message has been edited by Willow Wand (edited January 31, 2002).]
Willow Wand
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby cosmic architect » Thu Jan 31, 2002 5:45 pm

Thanks Leslie for giving me your optimistic imput. I do loose confidence when I spread the word about my dream job and I get rolled eyes, bugged eyes or blank stares. The marketing part definitely stops me. Doesn't make me not want to do it however. Guess that's worth a look. Have you thought about travel writing since you said my thing looks like your dream job? Most of my writing comes from my travel adventures. Regards, Aisling
cosmic architect
New User
New User

Postby Willow Wand » Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:55 pm

Lol....that might require traveling...I mean writing about it. Although since I separated and divorced I have traveled more in 4 years than I have my entire life. For now I will stick more to things I know a little something about. Helps with the confidence factor. So if the marketing part makes you cringe...I say grab up a partner that loves it. It's the same thing with me and writing. I am about the least organized person I know. I like many aspects of the research but can't imagine the managing part once that becomes a necessity...if it ever does become one. That's where my partner comes in. She is fantastic at that sort of thing. I wouldn't even try it! I would also consider carefully who you are talking to about this prospective venture. If your getting rolled eyes you are obviously not sharing with the 'right' people. My guess is you already know that. I am guilty of the same...excitedly sharing a plan or a dream with someone I already know is going to be negative about it. Then I act all disappointed...as though I should have expected something different...DUH!!! Boot to the head! Keep on truckin! Leslie [This message has been edited by Willow Wand (edited February 01, 2002).]
Willow Wand
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Return to Wishes and Obstacles