Trivial problem: Should I get a new domain name?

Tell us your wish, tell us your obstacle, and we'll try to come up with some useful suggestions to help you get into action toward your dream.

Moderators: Tituba, BarbaraSher

Trivial problem: Should I get a new domain name?

Postby Scorpio Moon » Thu May 29, 2003 5:53 pm

Hey guys, I thought I'd ask for opinions before I invested a bit of money in a new domain name. Right now, my talk show is at my Web site. Initially, I wanted to keep it there simply because I wanted to, subtly, draw attention to the other things on my site--my writing and photos. What I was hoping was, while the show might not be a means of income it could bring more people to the site which might help to attract some photography and writing assignments. But the more I promote the show, the more I realize it will be taken more seriously if it has its own domain name and Web site. But if I have one for the show, how am I going to attract people to my other endeaovrs? Obviously, I could have a link to my main Web site, but I fear, because leaving one Web site to go to another isn't as convenient as roaming around the same Web site, that there will be less interest in my main site. But then again, I could be wrong. Any thoughts? Any thoughts?
Scorpio Moon
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby David Aaron » Thu May 29, 2003 7:00 pm

Dear Scorpio Moon: Is it really either/or--the talk show site or the photography/writing site? The "brand" you are promoting is ultimately YOU--right? If I'm interested in a person's site, I'll probably click a link to something else that person has done.
David Aaron
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Orchid » Thu May 29, 2003 9:41 pm

Scorpio Moon, This is something I struggle with as well. What I ultimately decided was to have a personal site and a professional site. Anything remotely related to my professional work is on that site. Silly stuff, links to friends, jokes, etc are on the personal site (which doesn't have my name on it really.) For your stuff, I think having it all at your current domain is fantastic. However, you may want to redesign the entry page so that your radio show is listed first and foremost. I like the idea of drawing attention to the other things you do... I don't think it detracts from either the radio stuff or the photo/writing stuff. It ties together nicely. Plus, as you make a name for yourself in one area, you bring attention to the others, like you said. And as David Aaron said, the brand you are promoting is YOU. Totally makes sense to put it all on one site with your name as the domain! That being said, I have to put in a plug for cheap domain registration. I hate that the well-known places charge $35 or more. I recommend using www.gandi.net or www.godaddy.com for domain registration. The first is a French company, so depending on the exchange rate for the Euro, the price is good or great (domains are 10 euros). Godaddy's prices are around 9 bucks.
Orchid
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby sgoldie » Thu May 29, 2003 10:19 pm

Scorpio, With my provider you can have two different domain names feed into the same web page. At least I think this is true. You may want to check with yours. S
sgoldie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby bmaskmaker » Fri May 30, 2003 6:56 am

Scorpio, I currently do what SGoldie suggested ... bethmlyons.com is the main domain. And Kitchentablecoaching.com (among several others) point to it. It's a fairly simple DNS request, which you can do yourself, or as your provider to do for you. You could also have it point to a submain ... ie, create nle.wendywallace.com and have that point to the actual show location ... so then you have 2 index pages. (Then you could also have something like nle.com point to nle.wendywallace.com) And personally, I like your site, and don't think there's anything that would make me take you less seriously.
bmaskmaker
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Violin » Fri May 30, 2003 8:41 am

Do what makes your life easiest. A girl cannot have too many domain names, especially at today's prices. The cheapest I know of in the US is http://namecheap.com for $8.88 per year, including extras. A pro of a personal site is you can include photos and anecdotes you might not share with business contacts. A pro of having only the business site is you're off the hook spending time developing those areas on a personal site Image
Violin
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Postby Scorpio Moon » Fri May 30, 2003 5:35 pm

YOU GUYS ARE FREAKIN' BRILLIANT!!! I used all of your suggestions. I kept my "personal site" as the main site rather than having two. But I did change the index page and included the name of the show. And then I registered the domain nlexp.com and will have it redirect to my main site. Also, I chose to use a company that allows me to use nlexp.com in the URL to my show streams rather than the (ugly) stream of numbers a.k.a my IP address. This will make things look so much better. This just works out so perfectly and solves so many issues. Thank you, all of you, so much for giving me ideas I hadn't thought of and for reminding me of things I had forgotten. THANK YOU! [This message has been edited by Scorpio Moon (edited May 30, 2003).]
Scorpio Moon
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Trivial problem: Should I get a new domain name?

Postby edwin » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:10 pm

I would say the main differences between each registrar are the services they provide with hosting your domain. If you're willing to invest time to investigate the DNS industry and how it works you can go for that cheaper DNS providers. Otherwise, you risk yourself to domain scrappers and thieves. www.101domain.com isn't too bad, got some pretty decent services attached as well.
edwin
New User
New User

Return to Wishes and Obstacles