Life design: RANDOM CHOICES

What should you do when you want to do everything? If you're fascinated by everything, and you've been called dabbler, dilettante, undisciplined, indecisive etc., this forum is for you.

Moderators: BarbaraSher, Tituba

Life design: RANDOM CHOICES

Postby endycool » Tue May 23, 2017 9:36 am

I have been volunteering for the last year at a farm in the countryside and I love it. Every morning I wake up without knowing what am I going to do during the day. Then, a member of the family gives me the assignment of the day and I go to do that. My tasks range for gardening, to building a new room, fixing computers, taking care of the animals, teaching languages, etc. I love the peace I find on that. I don't love every task, but I simply go and do them, and that's it. I don't have to finish every project, there are no deadlines, no rush, not a pressure to make money out of it. I still don't know what is that I love about it, it might be the wonderful environment or the loving family... I don't know...

The problem: After my work day is over I go back to being paralysed trying to decide which personal project to start working on (and all other series of life or dead decisions I have to make). I'm reading the book, the part about different life designs and I thought that maybe what I could do is simply to use a random app to choose which project to do this day or for the following hours. I don't get along with calendars, I have already tried that, but the burden or responsibility of having to choose is too much. I can't deal with imagining the consequences, or feeling I choose wrong. Besides, I keep changing my mind over and over and by the time is time to do that task I just don't want to. So I thought that maybe I can put together a list of projects that I can start working on and allow an app or software to choose for me. Is it too crazy? I always thought it was a bit unresponsible to rely on something like flipping a coin, but I think that as long as I'm the one designing the list, I'd be following my interests, so it doesn't really matter which one I choose, all options are connected to my interests (I guess). During the mornings, when I work at the farm, I don't complain or argue with what I have to do. If I could simply stick to whatever the app says it and do it, I might be able to get out of this paralysis. (BTW, I also thought about developing that app by myself, it would be great if could keep track of the previous results to know how much time I spent on every project or even a larger app that could include calendars for other types of scanners or to allow the app to determine a random amount of time for doing that task..)

I remember being stuck in a similar situation when I was trying to decide which language to learn. I jumped from Italian to French to Japanese... you name it... until one day I choose one (Swedish) completely randomly and stayed with that. The agony was over. That gave me peace.... and then it made my life really interesting by adding something unexpected to it.

Has anyone tried this? any suggestion? do you think is too crazy? Is it already in the book and I should have finished reading it before writing all of this ? :lol:
endycool
New User
New User

Re: Life design: RANDOM CHOICES

Postby SquarePeg » Wed May 24, 2017 7:53 pm

You're in luck. I'm stuck at the computer because a cat is sitting lying on my lap. So I'm going to reply.

I can identify with having trouble deciding which idea to pursue. I had this problem even in elementary school. I dreaded essays that were nebulous -- pick a book write an essay about why you liked (or didn't like) it. The teacher said it gratuitously, as if he were doing us a big favor and making it easy for us. But for me there were just too many possibilities just in selecting the book! The structured assignments gave me comfort in comparison.

Anyway, two separate ideas (so far):
What's the worse thing that could happen if you pick the "wrong" thing to work on? What would be the consequences?

Have you thought about joining a group or club that you can meet with regularly to give updates to? Better yet, could there be people near you that would like to learn how to do a project like yours and whom you'd be willing to teach? I get this regularly at work. As much as I gripe about it, the pressure to show results helps me get things done.
SquarePeg
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby endycool » Thu May 25, 2017 8:10 am

SquarePeg thanks for your reply.
I think I will give it a try anyways to the random selection process. I think as long as my list represents my interest there is no harm done. Right now it feels like the consequences of choosing are enormous, mostly because I don't have a stable job or way of living and I'm trying to make everything fit together. But beyond that, I keep finding interesting the idea of relying on randomness to make some decisions. It might not lead to the perfect decision, but it makes the whole decision process way easier, which takes away some weight from my shoulders and makes my life easier as a result... If it's all about designing a life that I feel comfortable, and this somehow works, then why not, right?.
I don't feel very comfortable with groups or with having the pressure to show results. I have a tendency to turn most passions into pressures and I still don't know how to find a way around it. But one day I might have to accept joining a group or something similar if I keep feeling stuck.

Thank your cat on my behalf
endycool
New User
New User

Postby Elaine Glimme » Mon May 29, 2017 10:25 am

I think your idea is brilliant.

A lot of people say that they can't decide and end up doing nothing. Your idea gets you going. I hope a lot of scanners read this.
Elaine Glimme - author - "Temporary Address" and "The Molly Chronicles"
Elaine Glimme
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Return to Refuse to Choose: The Forum for Scanners